PDA

View Full Version : Have we found our Final Defensive Starters?

Oaf
10-10-2007, 12:44 AM
Even when Leonard, Youboty, Denney, and Wire are cleared to play, do we keep starting Wilson, Greer, and Ellison?

I think Greer is a no brainer. What draft pick you were 3 years ago is now irrelevant now that Greer has consistently shown he can excel. Not only that, he seems to also have stepped up into one of our empty leadership spots as result of his play and his words off the field. He could be playing himself to a solid contract extension next year and that'll be nice to see after 4 years languishing on the bottom of the depth chart. If he keeps this kind of play up, an improbable Pro Bowl berth isn't out of the question.

Wilson also showed me a lot last night when both he and Greer took down one of the "premier" WRs in the league in Owens. Obviously coming from the WR position he's got those ball skills. His tackling ability really surprised me as well, as he was more than willing to fill in and put in a solid hit as evidenced by his 5 solos. With more range and speed than Jim, I think he should stick until proven otherwise. Jim did a good job mentoring him but just doesn't have the ability to be more than a stopgap player at this point. A pity too, cause he's all heart.

As for Ellison, he reminded me of Jeff Posey yesterday, invisible. We all know what we'll get with Wire: make a play or giving one up. Ellison played solid last year for Spikes, especially for a 6th round pick, but I think Wire should be given a shot to take his spot when he gets back. Ellison should start the Ravens game, but if he still looks sluggish and doesn't show the excellent instincts he did last year, let's put in Sparkplug Wire and see if we improve.

It definitely looks we've got some solid talent developing on D. Next year, this unit could be great with Schobel, McCargo, Poz, Greer and Whitner. We may still need another LB, CB, and DT but that's for the offseason (which is rapidly approaching unfortunately)

Well, that's my imput, what's yours?

SABURZFAN
10-10-2007, 01:07 AM
Wilson and Greer are not starters IMO.Greer is a solid backup.i'd like to see Wilson in a Dime package on defense and play the role as a quiet target on offense,much like Gaines has been the last couple of games.i think a rotating system could work out between Ellison and Wire unless somebody can step up and take the job.

churchinski
10-10-2007, 01:09 AM
greer without a question should be the starter

the guy makes plays

Oaf
10-10-2007, 01:39 AM
Wilson in the dime is not a bad idea. I just don't like him and Leonard being out there at the same time. I'd rather keep him there and have Butler come in for dime situations, or maybe Bryan Scott.

Ask for Greer, he's been our best CB this season, backup or not. I don't see why he isn't more than a backup, perhaps you could elaborate. If youboty deserves the start, put McGee in the slot before you take Greer out.

mchurchfie
10-10-2007, 02:11 AM
Greer has been the best corner so far this year.

shelby
10-10-2007, 04:22 AM
Greer is a starter. Period.
i'd like to see Youbouty come back and start.

Mahdi
10-10-2007, 07:52 AM
Wilson and Greer are not starters IMO.Greer is a solid backup.i'd like to see Wilson in a Dime package on defense and play the role as a quiet target on offense,much like Gaines has been the last couple of games.i think a rotating system could work out between Ellison and Wire unless somebody can step up and take the job.
Why would you want to keep a playmaker off the field?

HHURRICANE
10-10-2007, 07:58 AM
Wilson made a pick that an 8 year old can make. Romo was downright horrible so the picks, although good, were a little overrated.

The Bills had a sacking frenzy week 2 last year against Miami. Denney had 3 sacks in that game. Should we have made him the starter?

It's one game people.

Yobouty has showed me alot when on the field. Greer has looked good. Wire has always been a backup so I would leave him on the bench.

Funny how Hargrove comes back and the teams intensity ratchets up! I hope this is Denney's last year here.

Dantheman1280
10-10-2007, 08:09 AM
i know everyone hates when someone this board bashes on our high paid DE's, but there was no pressure on Romo almost all night. Picks aside our pass rush is pitful, get rid of both of them.

DMBcrew36
10-10-2007, 08:10 AM
Greer is the only one I was impressed with enough to say that he HAS to start.

mybills
10-10-2007, 08:33 AM
Yobouty has showed me alot when on the field.
It's Youboty, and exactly what has he shown?

:tap:

mybills
10-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Greer has been the best corner so far this year.
As much as I have a soft spot for McGee, I have to agree. Greer should start.

HHURRICANE
10-10-2007, 08:47 AM
i know everyone hates when someone this board bashes on our high paid DE's, but there was no pressure on Romo almost all night. Picks aside our pass rush is pitful, get rid of both of them.

I told everyone that Schobel wouldn't show up on Monday Night. He'll get defended for the strip but he had 2 tackles and 0 sacks.

Mahdi
10-10-2007, 08:57 AM
I told everyone that Schobel wouldn't show up on Monday Night. He'll get defended for the strip but he had 2 tackles and 0 sacks.
He had a lot of pressures though. One of his pressures led to a pick.

HHURRICANE
10-10-2007, 09:04 AM
He had a lot of pressures though. One of his pressures led to a pick.

How many times did Romo get sacked?

justasportsfan
10-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Everyone who played last sunday did an excellent job. Ellisons return allowed Haggan to go back and make some plays at ST without sacrificing the D to one of the mosre potent offenses.

DiGorgio. Nuff said. While POZ is better against the run because of his size his liability is against the Pass.

I say Leonard starts and Wilson comes in to relieve him.

If youboty is healthy, they rotate and give McGee relief so he can reutrn kicks.

Kerr
10-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Greer ought to start again against NE in Buffalo. If he can do the same again to Randy Moss, then I know the guy's got game.

Wilson played well, but it's still Ko's job to lose next year. Wilson should make a good backup. Leonard might be on the way out unfortunately.

HHURRICANE
Everyone who played last sunday did an excellent job. Ellisons return allowed Haggan to go back and make some plays at ST without sacrificing the D to one of the mosre potent offenses.

DiGorgio. Nuff said. While POZ is better against the run because of his size his liability is against the Pass.

I say Leonard starts and Wilson comes in to relieve him.

If youboty is healthy, they rotate and give McGee relief so he can reutrn kicks.

Our D played well. however, the lack of pass rush is killing our secondary.

Oaf
How many times did Romo get sacked?

How many times did he get sacked the previous four games? I think it may have been 3 times. Anyone see his 30 yard fumble? He ran for a first down after that.

He simply knows how to avoid pressure and throw the ball.
I thought the ends did a very good job creating pressure and forcing Homo to get rid of it.

How can you tell how much that contributed to getting 5 picks when he's thrown like 4 all year?

Oaf
10-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Yobouty has showed me alot when on the field. Greer has looked good. Wire has always been a backup so I would leave him on the bench.

What exactly is it that Youboty has shown, other than having the ability to make a tackle after someone has made a catch?

mybills
10-10-2007, 09:38 AM
What exactly is it that Youboty has shown, other than having the ability to make a tackle after someone has made a catch?
He didn't answer me, maybe he'll answer you. :idunno:

mybills
10-10-2007, 10:15 AM

justasportsfan
10-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Our D played well. however, the lack of pass rush is killing our secondary.
this is why Denney is important. Hargrove probably wasn't ready . BTW, Romo got knocked down without flags several times. Lack of sack doesn't always mean a lack of pressure.

Mahdi
10-10-2007, 11:54 AM
He didn't answer me, maybe he'll answer you. :idunno:
The thing is when Youboty plays I hardly hear his name, which means he's doing well.

Akhippo
10-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Its still nice to hit the quarterback BEFORE he throws the ball. Its no consolation to me that he got hit after every touchdown he threw.

We have to get a pass rush from the draft next year. Instant pressure. Romo was hurried to due the coverage on most occasions. This was after our D line ran upfield, around Romo, back the other way, and alot of times Romo just ran out of the pocket and threw.

There has to be someone that can take 10 steps and get to the QB, not 50.

mybills
10-10-2007, 12:06 PM
The thing is when Youboty plays I hardly hear his name, which means he's doing well.
Amazing plays get mentioned. That's why you haven't heard his name.

Oaf
10-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Can you say the same for Kiwaukee Thomas?

Or how about Tripplett or Anderson? They must be doing a good job too.

Oaf
10-10-2007, 12:34 PM

:club:

That's what I thought.

Night Train
10-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Even when Leonard, Youboty, Denney, and Wire are cleared to play..

Can we morph these guys into a DT or 2 ? I have a welding torch.