PDA

View Full Version : How does the Green Bay Packers organization run their team?

imbondz
10-10-2007, 10:02 AM
from an ownership standpoint? Why can't we do the same thing. From what I understand, they are the only non-profit, community owned major league pro-sports team in the U.S.

How did they get there? And is that something the Bills can do once Wilson passes on?

trapezeus
10-10-2007, 10:07 AM
no, the packers publically held status has been grandfathered in. no other team can be publically held.

As for how they run it, i have no idea. seems like someone's got to take 51% ownership and then make the decisions. but i'm honestly not sure at all.

Johnny Bugmenot
10-10-2007, 10:38 AM
Could a potential group of shareholders potentially sue the NFL over this policy?

OpIv37
10-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Could a potential group of shareholders potentially sue the NFL over this policy?

I doubt it- there are no grounds. The NFL is a private entity and can structure however they want, as long as they don't discriminate based on race, sex, religion, etc. They could make the whole league publicly owned if they wanted to, or they could let one guy own every team. There are no laws governing it.

Ickybaluky
10-10-2007, 12:41 PM
The Packers have a Board of Directors that is in control. They elect a 7-member Executive Committee that does all the corporate management of the club, including hiring the GM and coach. The only member of the committee who is paid is the President, the rest work for nothing.

They are privately held, the only club that is so. The NFL only allow private ownership, but Green Bay is grandfathered in. The corporation currently has 111,921 stockholders, who collectively own 4,749,925 shares of stock. There have been four stock sales, in 1923, 1935, 1950 and 1997. Shares in 1923 sold for $5 apiece, which in 1997 the shares were issued at $200 each.

Current Executive Committee

* Robert E. Harlan, President, Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer
* John J. Fabry, Vice President
* Peter M. Platten, III, Secretary
* Larry L. Weyers, Treasurer
* John F. Bergstrom, Member
* Carl W. Kuehne, Member
* Edward J. Martin, Member

trapezeus
10-10-2007, 03:29 PM
the only lawsuit you could have against the NFL is suing them for breach of violating their congress given "monopoly". I forget how it works, but back in the day, the NFL was granted the ability to be a monopoly as long as it provides the games on TV for free. Now with the thursday games only being on their network, it should be a violation of their agreement.

NFL is getting too cocky these days. very soon they'll realize that its teams like Buffalo and Greenbay, and kansas city that helped build the hype. Just cause larger cities can afford more luxury boxes doesn't mean the real fans sit in those boxes.

OpIv37
10-10-2007, 03:46 PM
the only lawsuit you could have against the NFL is suing them for breach of violating their congress given "monopoly". I forget how it works, but back in the day, the NFL was granted the ability to be a monopoly as long as it provides the games on TV for free. Now with the thursday games only being on their network, it should be a violation of their agreement.

NFL is getting too cocky these days. very soon they'll realize that its teams like Buffalo and Greenbay, and kansas city that helped build the hype. Just cause larger cities can afford more luxury boxes doesn't mean the real fans sit in those boxes.

but the fans with real money sit in those boxes and in the end, those are the only ones that matter to the NFL.