PDA

View Full Version : a pre "one fan's view"article

trapezeus
10-10-2007, 12:53 PM
I wrote this to a friend yesterday. he asked about my thoughts about the soft coverage on the play before the kick. Below was a ranting and raving that i didn't put into the "one fan's view article". I figured i'd share.

"I wrote my article immediately after the game. I was so depressed. I didn’t even get to bed until like 4 am. I felt like howard Hughes sitting there with tissue boxes on my feet, paranoid that the hex was on buffalo, watching tv with the lights off. It was disgusting. I gave shelly this impassioned monologue about how David never wins the david and goliath battles anymore. And I took it from presidency’s to large corporations to sabres hockey through bills football. She was intrigued, but I believe a dude would have started a slow clap for me in mid speech. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I’m ok with the 8 yard route they gave up. Because if you saw TO prance into the endzone because they didn’t take the deep ball away, I can honestly tell you I wouldn’t be alive right now. 53 yard FG should be a big deal. That isn’t a chip shot. and the way he kicked it both times, he would have gotten it from 60. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
My issues are this. 1. do not go for 4<SUP>th</SUP> an 1 early in the game against a superior opponent when you already have the lead. Take the points. I feel like this is basic gameshow knowledge. It’s essentially the $1 bid from the price is right. Take what they’re giving you.<o:p></o:p>
2. do not kick a FG with Fancy I under any circumstance over 40 yards unless is straight on, and your life/job depends on it. i.e. last second field goal. That miss was a FG for the cowboys.<o:p></o:p>
3. If I see a WR screen one more time this season, it’s going to get picked off and run to the house the other way. You can’t run that play 5 times a game and then not try the pump and go. Impossible. <o:p></o:p>
4. Mcnally’s hometown discount is over. Get him out of here. Fine, they pass block well, but then run the delay handoff to get lynch the feeling of forward progress.<o:p></o:p>
5. I have a sick feeling that maybe <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">trent</st1:place></st1:City> Edwards is a younger Holcomb. Is there anyway we’ll know for sure?<o:p></o:p>
6. ML took a horsecollar, a 15 yard facemask, and a late hit all on the same play. They got it for a 5 yard penalty. They had 3 choices for 15 yard penalties, and picked none. In my best jeanerret voice, “are you serious? ARE YOU SERIOUS?”<o:p></o:p>
7. I knew moorman was faking that punt. They had a close up on his face, and he was sweating and looked like they gavehim a grenade to sneak for the first down. Let’s see if we can get a poker night with him.<o:p></o:p>
8. Dick Jauron was sitting there just patiently waiting for the game to end. He had no plan. It was like when you see a dollar on the ground, and you’re just waiting for one more person to pass by it so you can go pick it up. His face the entire was the moment. What a leader. "<o:p></o:p>

northernbillfan
10-10-2007, 01:57 PM
:rofl: Great read as usual.

The full One Fan's View will be up later tonight.

LtBillsFan66
10-10-2007, 01:59 PM
I got one too:
"Why Its Important to Remain a Bills Fan"

Brian Edwards

Monday Oct. 8th 11:59 P.M. Seven adults are sitting in an apartment in Batavia, N.Y. Six of my closest 'faithfuls' and myself have all left our respective seats to get on our knees to watch the second attempt of a 53 yard field goal by Cowboys kicker Nick Folk. We simultaneously inhale as the ball is snapped. Place, kick, lose, exhale. The bills fall to a 25-24 deficit as time expires. Silence penetrates the room as all seven of us are consumed with the same thought; "How did this happen again?"
The next series of events unfold rapidly: my closest Bills ally removes his outdated Willis McGahee jersey and deposits it in the trashcan, my girlfriend does her best to hide back the tears until we get to the car, and the apartment's resident goes into the bedroom and shuts the door. To quote a friend who watched the game elsewhere, "I felt like I was going to throw up and my mom was in tears…..its officially Bills season."
On the exceptionally long ride home I constantly thought to myself, "Why do I do this?" and "How can I keep putting myself through this?" There is only one answer to these questions; because it is important. I don't mean that it is important only to me and the tens of thousands of Bills fans. I mean that it is important to the team and most importantly to the city.
The broadcast started out with the ever condescending tone of Tony Kornheiser, who I enjoy for the record, informing us that the only way Buffalo would win would be because of a freak snowstorm or the gluttony provoking taste of our chicken wings. This is criticism that is familiar and repetitive. We get it Tony. We are 1-4 and decimated with injury. I have a hunch that we are probably not going to the Super Bowl. This fairly insulting, yet expected, opening would have been fine if it stood alone but it was followed by a sketch depicting two Buffalonians as buffoons who have yet to move out of their mothers' basements. These fans were being portrayed as two yokels who barely had a brain to share between the two of them. Where was the sketch depicting Cowboys fans as gun-toting rednecks in ten-gallon hats? That wasn't there because nobody actually thinks that about Dallas. Wake up Buffalo. This is what America thinks of your city. This is what America thinks of our city.
In regards to the team there was a pre-game graphic that suggested that Trent Edwards was a no name quarterback that should not only be ignored but also looked over. The commentators gave our defense one of the most pitiful eulogies that I have ever heard as they wrote us off from the beginning. There was also no mention of Marshawn Lynch , who is one of the more impressive rookies in the field right now (who is Adrian Peterson again?). Fortunately the game told a different story.
The Bills never lost the lead until the very last play of the game. For that 59:59 Buffalo was in the spotlight. There wasn't a fan or player who didn't think "now we're going to show them what we're all about!" Even the commentators were starting to come around and talk about the stellar play of our defense with our constant confusion of Tony Romo (and yes Kornheiser said that). Then the last minute of play came. Touchdown, onsides kick, winning field goal. All that wind was sucked from the Buffalo sails. Merely seconds after the devastating loss, and no that is not overdramatic, the commentators were back to talking about how the Cowboys were the better team and that they deserved the win. Silence penetrates the room.
"What about us!?," collectively screamed an entire city and team who are consistently shunned from grandeur and glory. We have a hurt team, both physically and emotionally, and yet they still go out and almost beat the team with the best offense in the league. Where is that headline? When will the headlines ever be different from, "Buffalo Loses in Heartbreaker?" None of us know the answer but there is one ultimate certainty; we must remain faithful.
Everyone else has written off the Bills, and why shouldn't they? They seem to play at their worst when everything is on the line. The reason we don't is because we are loyal fans. And because we can't. Without the fan base, this team isn't as successful. Without community support this team does not have an identity. When the chips are down you often find out who your true friends are and we need to show this team that they can count on us. Tony Kornheiser is not our friend. The NFL is not our friend. We are our only friend and without us this team will collapse.
It is important to be a Bills fan because, besides the Sabres, the Bills are one of the few things that we have that we can be consistently proud of. They may not be on top now. They may not be on top for a long while, but what they are is a direct representation of our social character. They see us as being down and out. I say now that I am proud of my team and my city. I am proud of the way we don't give up when faced with, what seem like, insurmountable injuries. We, as Western New Yorkers, are underdogs. We, as Western New Yorkers, are forgotten. We, as Western New Yorkers, are stereotyped. And we, as Western New Yorkers, are the only ones that can change that.
This is about more than a football game. This is about us and our resolve as Western New Yorkers. I am not asking everyone to buy season tickets (I'm not a holder). I'm not asking everyone to buy merchandise. I'm not even asking anyone to watch every play of every game. What I am asking is for everyone to do is, no matter what the odds or adversity, is to be proud of our Buffalo Bills as a community team. I'm asking that, on October 21st when we kick off against the Ravens, everyone stand up and cheer "The Bills make me want to shout!," because, as we all know, Western New Yorkers do not kowtow to public opinion and no one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills.

trapezeus
10-10-2007, 02:33 PM
I got one too:

Brian Edwards

Monday Oct. 8th 11:59 P.M. Seven adults are sitting in an apartment in Batavia, N.Y. Six of my closest 'faithfuls' and myself have all left our respective seats to get on our knees to watch the second attempt of a 53 yard field goal by Cowboys kicker Nick Folk. We simultaneously inhale as the ball is snapped. Place, kick, lose, exhale. The bills fall to a 25-24 deficit as time expires. Silence penetrates the room as all seven of us are consumed with the same thought; "How did this happen again?"
The next series of events unfold rapidly: my closest Bills ally removes his outdated Willis McGahee jersey and deposits it in the trashcan, my girlfriend does her best to hide back the tears until we get to the car, and the apartment's resident goes into the bedroom and shuts the door. To quote a friend who watched the game elsewhere, "I felt like I was going to throw up and my mom was in tears…..its officially Bills season."
On the exceptionally long ride home I constantly thought to myself, "Why do I do this?" and "How can I keep putting myself through this?" There is only one answer to these questions; because it is important. I don't mean that it is important only to me and the tens of thousands of Bills fans. I mean that it is important to the team and most importantly to the city.
The broadcast started out with the ever condescending tone of Tony Kornheiser, who I enjoy for the record, informing us that the only way Buffalo would win would be because of a freak snowstorm or the gluttony provoking taste of our chicken wings. This is criticism that is familiar and repetitive. We get it Tony. We are 1-4 and decimated with injury. I have a hunch that we are probably not going to the Super Bowl. This fairly insulting, yet expected, opening would have been fine if it stood alone but it was followed by a sketch depicting two Buffalonians as buffoons who have yet to move out of their mothers' basements. These fans were being portrayed as two yokels who barely had a brain to share between the two of them. Where was the sketch depicting Cowboys fans as gun-toting rednecks in ten-gallon hats? That wasn't there because nobody actually thinks that about Dallas. Wake up Buffalo. This is what America thinks of your city. This is what America thinks of our city.
In regards to the team there was a pre-game graphic that suggested that Trent Edwards was a no name quarterback that should not only be ignored but also looked over. The commentators gave our defense one of the most pitiful eulogies that I have ever heard as they wrote us off from the beginning. There was also no mention of Marshawn Lynch , who is one of the more impressive rookies in the field right now (who is Adrian Peterson again?). Fortunately the game told a different story.
The Bills never lost the lead until the very last play of the game. For that 59:59 Buffalo was in the spotlight. There wasn't a fan or player who didn't think "now we're going to show them what we're all about!" Even the commentators were starting to come around and talk about the stellar play of our defense with our constant confusion of Tony Romo (and yes Kornheiser said that). Then the last minute of play came. Touchdown, onsides kick, winning field goal. All that wind was sucked from the Buffalo sails. Merely seconds after the devastating loss, and no that is not overdramatic, the commentators were back to talking about how the Cowboys were the better team and that they deserved the win. Silence penetrates the room.
"What about us!?," collectively screamed an entire city and team who are consistently shunned from grandeur and glory. We have a hurt team, both physically and emotionally, and yet they still go out and almost beat the team with the best offense in the league. Where is that headline? When will the headlines ever be different from, "Buffalo Loses in Heartbreaker?" None of us know the answer but there is one ultimate certainty; we must remain faithful.
Everyone else has written off the Bills, and why shouldn't they? They seem to play at their worst when everything is on the line. The reason we don't is because we are loyal fans. And because we can't. Without the fan base, this team isn't as successful. Without community support this team does not have an identity. When the chips are down you often find out who your true friends are and we need to show this team that they can count on us. Tony Kornheiser is not our friend. The NFL is not our friend. We are our only friend and without us this team will collapse.
It is important to be a Bills fan because, besides the Sabres, the Bills are one of the few things that we have that we can be consistently proud of. They may not be on top now. They may not be on top for a long while, but what they are is a direct representation of our social character. They see us as being down and out. I say now that I am proud of my team and my city. I am proud of the way we don't give up when faced with, what seem like, insurmountable injuries. We, as Western New Yorkers, are underdogs. We, as Western New Yorkers, are forgotten. We, as Western New Yorkers, are stereotyped. And we, as Western New Yorkers, are the only ones that can change that.
This is about more than a football game. This is about us and our resolve as Western New Yorkers. I am not asking everyone to buy season tickets (I'm not a holder). I'm not asking everyone to buy merchandise. I'm not even asking anyone to watch every play of every game. What I am asking is for everyone to do is, no matter what the odds or adversity, is to be proud of our Buffalo Bills as a community team. I'm asking that, on October 21st when we kick off against the Ravens, everyone stand up and cheer "The Bills make me want to shout!," because, as we all know, Western New Yorkers do not kowtow to public opinion and no one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills.

Fantastic call to arms article. and it's spot on.

Johnny Bugmenot
10-10-2007, 04:28 PM
I got one too:

Brian Edwards

I will respond to that when I get more time. It is neither helpful nor necessary to support this franchise after seven years of the franchise giving us complete garbage. Ralph Wilson would be far better off in terms of morale of the city giving each and every Western New York household a $2500 check with the money he has pent up in that franchise.