PDA

View Full Version : Johnson won't be fined for taunting injured Green

Gunzlingr
10-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Travis Johnson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=7192)'s taunting of Trent Green (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=2547) after Green sustained a serious concussion trying to block him earned the Houston Texans (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=hou) defensive tackle a 15-yard penalty and the ire of critics. But it won't result in a fine by the NFL.

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/mugs/65x90/8431.jpg Johnson

Johnson was criticized by members of the Dolphins and in the media for the taunting penalty, in which he stood over the motionless Green and pointed, and for his post-game comments, in which he lambasted Green for what he perceived to be a cheap shot.

But the NFL said Johnson was reacting to what he thought was a dirty play and would not face additional discipline.

"Gene Washington [the NFL's director of football operations] determined that Johnson's taunting penalty did not warrant a fine," league spokesman Greg Aiello explained, according to the Houston Chronicle. "The player was upset about what he thought was an illegal block. Gene did not believe he deserved to be fined."

"Not every taunting penalty draws a fine. The block, in fact, was legal," Aiello said, according to the Chronicle. "Should the taunting penalty have been called? Yes. Standing over a player on the ground and pointing at him is by rule taunting. The penalty was properly called."

Dolphins coach Cam Cameron spoke in general terms about the league's decision, according to the Miami Herald.

More... (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3056729&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

LtBillsFan66
10-10-2007, 01:15 PM
It was a cheap shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2weKmGtemn8

CuseJetsFan83
10-10-2007, 01:40 PM
its a 2-sided deal..... one the one hand you wanna just completely throw him under the bus for what may end trent greens career, but in the same token, had that hit johnson a few inches one way or another, that could have ended his career with a very serious knee injury or worse

OpIv37
10-10-2007, 01:45 PM
its a 2-sided deal..... one the one hand you wanna just completely throw him under the bus for what may end trent greens career, but in the same token, had that hit johnson a few inches one way or another, that could have ended his career with a very serious knee injury or worse

I don't blame Johnson for the injury at all- Green's the one who gave up his body for the hit. Johnson was running full speed and there is NO WAY the knee to the head was intentional.

He still deserved the penalty for taunting, but the injury is a different story- like you said- it could have been an injury either way, or it could have been just another block. That's the way it goes in the NFL.

DraftBoy
10-10-2007, 07:01 PM
clean block, and nothing illegal on Johnson's part

however

Johnson after play taunt and post game comments deserved a fine imo

gr8slayer
10-10-2007, 08:17 PM
As a DL I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing. That kind of **** hurts and anytime you go at a guy's knees you're just asking for trouble. I'm not necessarily condoning what Johnson did but I can see how your emotions could get the best of you in that situation.

BTW DB, does Johnson have BUST tattooed on his forehead or what? He hasn't done crap in his career.

LtFinFan66
10-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Completely legal hit. Nuff said. I agree he should not have been fined for taunting. Unless guys who throw the ball at the feet of another player and get the same penalty get fined and I don't think they do

DraftBoy
10-10-2007, 08:24 PM
As a DL I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing. That kind of **** hurts and anytime you go at a guy's knees you're just asking for trouble. I'm not necessarily condoning what Johnson did but I can see how your emotions could get the best of you in that situation.

BTW DB, does Johnson have BUST tattooed on his forehead or what? He hasn't done crap in his career.

He has been a big dissapointment but he hasnt even played a full season yet 15 games his rookie year and only 9 last year. Putting him in the middle of Okoye and Williams they are hoping improves his numbers but only 8 tackles through 5 games is not great.

DraftBoy
10-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Completely legal hit. Nuff said. I agree he should not have been fined for taunting. Unless guys who throw the ball at the feet of another player and get the same penalty get fined and I don't think they do

Chad Johnson, and TO get fined for a lot less then taunting an unconscious player.

gr8slayer
10-10-2007, 08:29 PM
He has been a big dissapointment but he hasnt even played a full season yet 15 games his rookie year and only 9 last year. Putting him in the middle of Okoye and Williams they are hoping improves his numbers but only 8 tackles through 5 games is not great.
Don't forget he has just one sack in three years and according to SI.com he has 4 tackles this year which means he's averaging less than a tackle a game. Simply horrible.........

Okoye has been a beast thus far, for a DT he's racking up the sacks nicely with four and one forced fumble.

I'm still not 100% sold on Williams yet either...

LtFinFan66
10-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Don't they get excessive celebration penalties, not taunting??

gr8slayer
10-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Yup.

Another thing to consider, perhaps the league views it as a cheap shot by Green and instead of punishing them both they are going to just let it go? In my opinion it could go either way, it's hard to tell with the angle they keep showing.

DraftBoy
10-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Don't forget he has just one sack in three years and according to SI.com he has 4 tackles this year which means he's averaging less than a tackle a game. Simply horrible.........

Okoye has been a beast thus far, for a DT he's racking up the sacks nicely with four and one forced fumble.

I'm still not 100% sold on Williams yet either...

8 tackles only 4 solo NFL.com does both stats its more accurate that SI.com just to note

DraftBoy
10-10-2007, 08:41 PM

The penalty title I dont think is as important as the actions, I dont see those guys do anything close to or worse than what Johnson did. I just think that taunting an injured played is just plain low, especially on a clean hit.

gr8slayer
10-10-2007, 08:43 PM
8 tackles only 4 solo NFL.com does both stats its more accurate that SI.com just to note

Learn something new everyday. I personally think that 1/2 tackles are kind of worthless but I get your point. One stat that would be interesting to see is how many of his 4 or 8 we're behind the LOS.

gr8slayer
10-10-2007, 08:44 PM
The penalty title I dont think is as important as the actions, I dont see those guys do anything close to or worse than what Johnson did. I just think that taunting an injured played is just plain low, especially on a clean hit.
Again, that's your interpretation, maybe the league sees it in a different light.

DraftBoy
10-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Again, that's your interpretation, maybe the league sees it in a different light.

correct but I cant see how anybody sees what Green did as dirty, was it at his legs yes, but OL do that all game long.

To one of your earlier posts Okoye has been an absolute beast he is the early DROY in my mind.

DraftBoy
10-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Learn something new everyday. I personally think that 1/2 tackles are kind of worthless but I get your point. One stat that would be interesting to see is how many of his 4 or 8 we're behind the LOS.

none, espn.com tracks those numbers under tloss

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/stats?team=hou&year=2007&season=2

LtFinFan66
10-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Again, that's your interpretation, maybe the league sees it in a different light.Nope, league stated it was a legal hit indeed

gr8slayer
10-10-2007, 09:02 PM
correct but I cant see how anybody sees what Green did as dirty, was it at his legs yes, but OL do that all game long.
Yeah but a chop block at the L.O.S. and a cut back block like that are such different extremities. I have personally broken my knee getting blocked just like Johnson but have never had a scratch (of course I'm exaggerating a bit) getting chopped at the line. Again, I'm split on this one, the angle just isn't right. One thing though that Green did that I have an issue with is he blocked him very low. Chop block a guy, but aim above the knees, not at his ankles.

Johnson was a bit out of line but again, I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing. In fact I have done the same thing (except I stepped on the guy's neck), sometimes emotions just get the best of you (think Albert Haynesworth.) It doesn't necessarily mean you are a bad person or even a dirty player, it just means that at that point in time you ****ed up.

To one of your earlier posts Okoye has been an absolute beast he is the early DROY in my mind.No doubt about it, I don't know how much of him you've been able to watch but he stays lower than any DL I've seen in a long time and has amazing hands. Very John Randle like.

gr8slayer
10-10-2007, 09:04 PM
none, espn.com tracks those numbers under tloss

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/stats?team=hou&year=2007&season=2
hahaha, of all the places I haven't looked at for stats..... Thanks for the find :up:

IMO there's no better way to determine just how good a DL is than tackles behind the L.O.S. and sacks.

DraftBoy
10-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Yeah but a chop block at the L.O.S. and a cut back block like that are such different extremities. I have personally broken my knee getting blocked just like Johnson but have never had a scratch (of course I'm exaggerating a bit) getting chopped at the line. Again, I'm split on this one, the angle just isn't right. One thing though that Green did that I have an issue with is he blocked him very low. Chop block a guy, but aim above the knees, not at his ankles.

Johnson was a bit out of line but again, I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing. In fact I have done the same thing (except I stepped on the guy's neck), sometimes emotions just get the best of you (think Albert Haynesworth.) It doesn't necessarily mean you are a bad person or even a dirty player, it just means that at that point in time you ****ed up.

No doubt about it, I don't know how much of him you've been able to watch but he stays lower than any DL I've seen in a long time and has amazing hands. Very John Randle like.

If Green even attempts to block Johnson above the waist he gets absolutely destroyed. It makes no sense for that and thats why you have to go low. You cant worry about hurting the other player you have to do what will be most effective for your team. I see no problem with what Green did. I think anybody who has played football has been hit below the knee from time to time and it sucks, but its part of the game.

DraftBoy
10-10-2007, 09:09 PM
hahaha, of all the places I haven't looked at for stats..... Thanks for the find :up:

IMO there's no better way to determine just how good a DL is than tackles behind the L.O.S. and sacks.

Yea strictly stats speaking thats a good one but especially for DT's stats dont say nearly enough.

gr8slayer
10-10-2007, 09:10 PM
If Green even attempts to block Johnson above the waist he gets absolutely destroyed. It makes no sense for that and thats why you have to go low. You cant worry about hurting the other player you have to do what will be most effective for your team. I see no problem with what Green did. I think anybody who has played football has been hit below the knee from time to time and it sucks, but its part of the game.
I'm not saying block him above the waist, that would be career suicide for an old guy like Green. I'm saying block him above the knees, put your shoulder into his quad. It might be part of the game but so is letting your emotions get the best of you sometimes. There's no more emotional game out there than football, as a player it's the best and worst time of your life every single play.

Bling
10-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Further proof the league is out to get TO. He gets fined for making fun of the NE Pats situation, but Johnson taunts a dead man and?

gr8slayer
10-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Yea strictly stats speaking thats a good one but especially for DT's stats dont say nearly enough.
There are just too many different types of DT's. In regards to Johnson though, it's not like he's commanding the double team like Pat used to, or getting to the QB like Randle used to, or being a simply awesome all around player like Haynesworth is this year. You have to have a strength that other teams have to respect and I just don't think that Johnson has one. Frankly, he looks out of shape and slow on the field to me.

gr8slayer
10-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Further proof the league is out to get TO. He gets fined for making fun of the NE Pats situation, but Johnson taunts a dead man and?
T.O. is just an all-around **** sucker. He's one person I have no sorrow for.

DraftBoy
10-10-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm not saying block him above the waist, that would be career suicide for an old guy like Green. I'm saying block him above the knees, put your shoulder into his quad. It might be part of the game but so is letting your emotions get the best of you sometimes. There's no more emotional game out there than football, as a player it's the best and worst time of your life every single play.

I see your point, but I still dont see an issue with the block but its a matter interpretation like you said

gr8slayer
10-10-2007, 09:25 PM
I see your point, but I still dont see an issue with the block but its a matter interpretation like you said
:beers: