PDA

View Full Version : Dan Reeves

RedEyE
10-10-2007, 02:46 PM
I was listening to Dan Reeves on Sirius this morning and he was commenting on several aspects of the Bills Monday night game against Dallas.

I hold Coach Reeves opinion in high regard. The man has seen 9 Super Bowls as a player and coach. He's lead 4 different teams to the playoffs and has won 4 different conference championships with 2 different teams. He has coached lengendary greats like Roger Staubach, John Elway, Phil Simms and even the athletic yet infamous Micheal Vick.

A couple of things stuck out:

1) He couldn't say enough great things about Trent Edwards and he was especially amazed with how well Trent seemed calm and poised in the pocket. He called the interception in the redzone a bad call throwing to the side of the best corner on the team, but he also said that he's made similar calls over his years as a coach and that he's seen positive results from similar plays just as well as negative ones. Stated that had Edwards completed that pass or just thrown it out of reach that the call wouldn't even have been discussed today.

2) He was a little confused on the coaching staffs decision to back off on the blitzing scheme late in the game. Also said that he's used the Creep scheme before and it does well against QBs that are ill prepared for something they might never have seen before.

3) Said that the Bills should have won the game but made some poor choices late.

I just find it interesting that you have individuals like Jaworski, Reeves, Walsh and many others that love Edwards approach to the game. I have yet to hear anyone state that Edwards was at fault for the loss Monday night.

TacklingDummy
10-10-2007, 02:50 PM
I just find it interesting that you have individuals like Jaworski, Reeves, Walsh and many others that love Edwards approach to the game. I have yet to hear anyone state that Edwards was at fault for the loss Monday night.

You haven't read anything that justa or djjimkelly have posted since then? :snicker:

shelby
10-10-2007, 02:52 PM
i don't think popular opinion is laying the blame on Edwards, Red. i think the coaching staff is being called into question. Everyone understands that Edwards is a rookie. i was impressed with his play during the game. You can't expect the kid to work miracles in his second NFL start. The interception came at a bad time, but i don't fault Edwards for it.
i feel the poor choices made were on the part of the coaching staff.

LtBillsFan66
10-10-2007, 02:56 PM
IN TRENT I TRUST!

RedEyE
10-10-2007, 03:03 PM
I think that most of us are speaking through years of complicated frustration here. It's really hard to catch a glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel, when you're so used to the tunnel caving in around you year after year.

As difficult as it is going to be, I'm going to remain focused on the few postive outcomes of this season in order to maintain a glimpse of sanity for years to come.

So, Edwards in my opinion gives this team the best opportunity to regain respect not only in the division but in the league.

Losman, in my eyes, has become the catalyst in Edwards career. Much like Holcomb and Bledsoe before him, Losman's new role is to thoroughly season the future of the Buffalo Bills. Trent will be starting for this team next season guaranteed.

Defenesivly, you have to respect what the players did on the field. They overcame boundless adversity and aided in breaking a record for turnovers on Monday night from a single player. They shocked the nation, the Cowboys and the critics.

They played with heart, passion, and maintained dignity. They have no reason to hang their heads. I am of the opinion that when the starters return, the depth on this team is capable of filling in again when called upon.

Next season when Buffalo is making a run for the division, an injury here or there won't be such a difficult problem to deal with for the coaching staff, the players or the fans.

Mitchy moo
10-10-2007, 03:07 PM
I am of the opiniion that when the starters return, the depth on this team is capable of filling in again when called upon.

Next season when Buffalo is making a run for the division, an injury here or there won't be such a difficult problem to deal with for the coaching staff, the players or the fans.

It's the depth that makes a team great. Your going to have so adversity, injuries and general soreness during a season and to have someone step in that really can help is so important. Glad to see a real reasonable, intelligent post. Thanks!!!

G. Host
10-10-2007, 03:17 PM

Read djjimkelly's posts.

There is plenty of blame to spread around from front office to coaches to players to zenras including the fans who bought/sold tickets for Dallas fans; it varies in degree.

Jan Reimers
10-10-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm certainly not blaming Edwards, but the offense was putrid. It was responsible for exactly 3 points.

I'm not sure who our QB should be at this point, but if JP had produced only 3 points in a losing effort, his detractors would be all over him.

LtBillsFan66
10-10-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm certainly not blaming Edwards, but the offense was putrid. It was responsible for exactly 3 points.

I'm not sure who our QB should be at this point, but if JP had produced only 3 points in a losing effort, his detractors would be all over him.
Because Losman is in his 4th year.

Jan Reimers
10-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Good point. But some have bashed JP from his first start.

Mitchy moo
10-10-2007, 03:44 PM

Let's give him a few more, maybe he'll get it then.:candle:

Johnny Bugmenot
10-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Good point. But some have bashed JP from his first start.

He never should have received that starting position. He hadn't even completed a full training camp yet (rode the pine with an injury) when they cut Bledsoe and handed him the job.

He was nowhere near ready and, judging by his performance the past few years, may never be.

Philagape
10-10-2007, 03:48 PM
if JP had produced only 3 points in a losing effort

He did, three weeks ago.

Gunzlingr
10-10-2007, 04:08 PM
He did, three weeks ago.

and the haters were on him like white on rice.

HHURRICANE
10-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Guys, I've listened to Sirrius and other networks and nobody is rolling Jauron under the bus. I did hear Reeves make his comments this AM about being in zone vs. man and did say that was a mistake during the final drive.

Most outlets are giving the Bills kudos for showing up with "2nd and 3rd" stringers and giving Dallas a game. It doesn't make it suck anymore but it's not as bad outside the forum.

Jan Reimers
10-10-2007, 04:53 PM
He did, three weeks ago.
I realize that. I watch all of the away games and attend the home games.

My point concerned the disparate treatment of Edwards and Losman by the JP bashers, many of whom have disparaged him from day one. I have no ax to grind in regard to either QB, but would like to see a little less irrational hatred of Losman.

(The constant JP-hater refrain, for instance, that he is in his 4th year is only chronologically correct. Given that he was injured almost his entire rookie year, benched half of his sopmore season, and injured at the beginning of the third game this year, means that he has played the equivalent of just over a season and a half.)

I like both Edwards and Losman and want to see the best man win the job. But as a Bills' fan, I would love to have the Losman bashing stop.