Played golf with a former NFL player and was interesting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Played golf with a former NFL player and was interesting.

Had a buddy in from Buffalo and we played with a former NFL player last week(wasn't in the league long). He had a couple of comments that weren't very encouraging last week and when I saw him today he had a few more.

1) To my dismay he is not high on Edwards. I was shocked and he said he's a nice backup and compared him to Charlie Batch. Said his size was a problem. Is Edwards small?? Thinks Losman might still be a better fit for the team. Officially, I'm depressed!!!!!

2) He says he's talked to several players and the consesus is that Everett's injury was less bad luck and more bad tackling. Now I've watched the play several times and I have no idea what he is talking about but he says its very obvious.

3) Blamed the loss on Monday Night on one thing and one thing only. The onside kick. Said it was executed brilliantly and was just bad luck.

Don't shoot the messenger. It's for discussion only. By the way he played for the fins.
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: Played golf with a former NFL player and was interesting.

Edwards is bigger than Losman...

Comment

• TacklingDummy
      Unreachable Douche
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
      Had a buddy in from Buffalo and we played with a former NFL player last week(wasn't in the league long). He had a couple of comments that weren't very encouraging last week and when I saw him today he had a few more.
      Obviously the former player you played golf with is a JP Licker. It's no wonder he didn't play long in the NFL.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
        Obviously the former player you played golf with is a JP Licker. It's no wonder he didn't play long in the NFL.
        He doesn't think Losman is that great but felt he still had more upside.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
          Edwards is bigger than Losman...
          2 inches and 20 pounds. I thought Edwrads was taller but not heavier. Maybe he doesn't think he's thick enough?

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

2 inches and 20 pounds. I thought Edwrads was taller but not heavier. Maybe he doesn't think he's thick enough?
            I do agree with that. Edwards is taller, but he needs to put on more weight. He's too small, and he needs to add more muscles too.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
              Roways rooking ahread!
              • Sep 2005

Exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

• Wraith
                • Mar 2003

Had a buddy in from Buffalo and we played with a former
                2) He says he's talked to several players and the consesus is that Everett's injury was less bad luck and more bad tackling. Now I've watched the play several times and I have no idea what he is talking about but he says its very obvious.
                I'm sure he's talking about Everett's head dip just before impact.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                  • Jan 2003

1) To my dismay he is not high on Edwards. I was shocked and he said he's a nice backup and compared him to Charlie Batch. Said his size was a problem. Is Edwards small?? Thinks Losman might still be a better fit for the team. Officially, I'm depressed!!!!!

3) Blamed the loss on Monday Night on one thing and one thing only. The onside kick. Said it was executed brilliantly and was just bad luck.

Don't shoot the messenger. It's for discussion only. By the way he played for the fins.
                  Trent Edwards 6'3" 231 lbs
                  Tom Brady 6'4" 225
                  Drew Brees 6'0" 209
                  Peyton Manning 6'5" 230
                  Donovan McNabb 6'2" 240
                  Jay Cutler 6'3" 233
                  Just dumb. I thought the size issue of QBs was old back when we had Flutie. This is just a sampling of QBs around the league, he is neither too short nor too thin. He is only a rookie though, so he probably will put on a few pounds over the next few years.

Consensus on Everett was that he lowered his head at the time of impact which is when and how just about every serious injury has occured in the NFL. You have to keep your head UP. They are supposed to see what they are hitting.

As for the onside kick, it WAS brilliantly executed. There were way too many things that went wrong in the last few minutes that could have salted away that game.
                  McGee interception right in his stomach
                  Little more pressue on Romo
                  Moving up to grab the onside kick
                  Whitner diving on the onside kick
                  More time running off the clock on the onside kick
                  More time running off on the Owens drop. (like if they got the F***ing call right in the first place they wouldn't have to go to video and stop the clock immediately when the ball touches the ground)
                  Actually tackling the player in bounds on EITHER of the next two plays. The onside kick was done nicely, but that kicker isn't making a 65 yard field goal. They needed more yards and with only 18 seconds, they didn't have a lot of options.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

TD, did JP once reject your homosexual advances? You use the term "JP Licker" so often that I have to think it's one of those "Methinks thou doth protest too much" things. It has to be something like that for you to make every post into an anti-JP rant.

(Mods, go ahead and warn me if you have to. I know it's wrong to attack the poster. I'm just tired of TD's irrational anti-JP crap, and even though it's half in jest, it felt good to get it say it.)
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

I wouldn't be depressed about it HH, the guy doesn't sound like he's too bright... I don't think I could disagree more with those 3 points.

Comment

• Bufftp
                        Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

well he is a fin.
                        Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
                        "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
                        Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
                        - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
                        to be led by permanent ideals -
                        that is what keeps a man patient
                        when the world ignores him,
                        and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

• Goobylal
                          • Jan 2004

For starters, Trent is 6'4-1/8" and 231# and a rookie. He's as tall as Brady, and heavier (when Brady came into the league, he was skinny, and probably bulked-up with steroids and/or HGH). But since he's a rookie, with a full off-season conditioning program, he'll get heavier and more solid (and I'm a JP fan, but Trent is also a Buffalo Bill, a rookie, and has shown promise. He's just not there yet).

Second of all, how can this guy make an assessment of a rookie playing in his 3rd NFL game and making his 2nd start, in an offense run by a moron? And it's not like NFL players are experts on who will and won't succeed (he probably thought he'd have a long NFL career before he got bounced).

Thirdly, I've seen a lot of guys tackle the way Kevin did an not suffer any injury. If you're telling me that no one else has tackled like that since the last guy was paralyzed (Mobley?), I'll tell you BS.

Last of all, the game was lost because of the offense failing to score more than 3 points, lousy defensive calls at the end of the game, and Gaines, who hasn't been with the team long, blowing his assignment. I'll also add piss-poor officiating WRT taking seconds off the clock after convenient clock non-starts.

Comment

• JD
                            Sabres Zone
                            • Sep 2003

Ok so some NFL failure said Losman is the way to go? Haha, that says a lot!
                            “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• JD
                              Sabres Zone
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Goobylal
                              For starters, Trent is 6'4-1/8" and 231# and a rookie. He's as tall as Brady, and heavier (when Brady came into the league, he was skinny, and probably bulked-up with steroids and/or HGH). But since he's a rookie, with a full off-season conditioning program, he'll get heavier and more solid (and I'm a JP fan, but Trent is also a Buffalo Bill, a rookie, and has shown promise. He's just not there yet).

Second of all, how can this guy make an assessment of a rookie playing in his 3rd NFL game and making his 2nd start, in an offense run by a moron? And it's not like NFL players are experts on who will and won't succeed (he probably thought he'd have a long NFL career before he got bounced).

Thirdly, I've seen a lot of guys tackle the way Kevin did an not suffer any injury. If you're telling me that no one else has tackled like that since the last guy was paralyzed (Mobley?), I'll tell you BS.

Last of all, the game was lost because of the offense failing to score more than 3 points, lousy defensive calls at the end of the game, and Gaines, who hasn't been with the team long, blowing his assignment. I'll also add piss-poor officiating WRT taking seconds off the clock after convenient clock non-starts.
                              You are now the only JP supporter I have respect for
                              “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

Working...
                              X