PDA

View Full Version : Why Schottenheimer should already be on Buffalo's radar

Don't Panic
10-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Hadn't really thought about him as an option. Considering Cowher is doubtful, he may be a good option. We are in a position similar to SD's a few years back... lots of young talent, no clear leader. Would Ralph pay what it took to bring him in?

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/19815.html

In his first season at the helm of the Bills, Jauron's decision-making skills were called into question on several occasions, particularly for clock-management issues and failed challenges, but all was forgiven when he took the team to a semi-respectable 7-9 record after a calamitous 2-5 start. This year, Buffalo was supposed to progress and at least match or near its win total from 2006. Instead, though, the Bills are just 1-4 in a campaign where they probably ought to be 3-2. The fact is, Jauron and his staff (mostly offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild) have cost the Bills two victories this season. Buffalo should have won the Denver game, a 15-14 season-opening loss, and it should have been victorious in Monday's 25-24 shocker against Dallas.
If we were 3-2 right now, it would be hard to argue. Also, it deserves noting that the cupboards are pretty thin. Still, I don't get the gut feeling of confidence from Jauron and I don't think I ever will.

Cleve
10-11-2007, 09:01 AM
I'm curious. Why should we want Schottenheimer? Don't his teams always collapse in the post-season?

jamze132
10-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Dick sucks.

Johnny Bugmenot
10-11-2007, 09:08 AM
I'm curious. Why should we want Schottenheimer? Don't his teams always collapse in the post-season?

To quote Jim Mora: "Playoffs? Don't talk to me about-- playoffs! You kidding me? I just hope we can win a game!"

LtBillsFan66
10-11-2007, 09:12 AM

Jauron's never make the playoffs. Except once, which all he did was lose.

mchurchfie
10-11-2007, 09:14 AM
The Playoffs sound good right now, even if we collapsed.

acehole
10-11-2007, 09:19 AM

A Lets get to the post season.
b Marty got fired for 14 and 2
c Lost to the Pats who were cheating at the time.

mchurchfie
10-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Look how the Chargers are doing now, they'll be lucky to make the POs.

Bill Brasky
10-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Would Ralph pay what it took to bring him in?

No

raphael120
10-11-2007, 10:32 AM
:lol:

I love how some Bills fans are like "well Schottenheimer only lost in the playoffs."

Since when do we have room to be THAT picky!?!? :lol:

joekurtz
10-11-2007, 01:39 PM
:lol:

I love how some Bills fans are like "well Schottenheimer only lost in the playoffs."

Since when do we have room to be THAT picky!?!? :lol:

Right on!

What's better, having a team that wins consistantly & gets into the play offs with a coach who has a mediocre PO record or consistantly losing 9 or 10 games a year & never even getting NEAR the playoffs?

I'll take winning every time.

And think about the feel good story & the positive press & attention brought upon the franchise by bringing a former Bills player "home" to coach the team. Sure, Marty would cost Wilson more money than he's ever paid a coach, but he'd make it back in increased ticket sales next year. Sales that I believe will otherwise see a big drop off from disillusioned fans if we continue with with the mediocrity known as Dick Jauron as coach.

Don't Panic
10-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Williams, Mularkey and Jauron all brought pretty limited experience to the HC position. It would be nice to have someone who has been around the block a few times running the ship. True, Marty has never fared well in the playoffs, but most coaches don't. Holmgren is 12-10, Dungy is 9-8, Fisher 5-4 (4-4 if we exclude the forward lateral), Coughlin 4-6, Gruden 5-3, Reid 8-6... even Shanahan is only 8-5. The only two coaches who are active that have tremnedous success in the playoffs are Gibbs and cheater Bill. One could even make the case that he's overachieved in the regular season and then run out of steam in the playoffs. Aside for last year's team (which was young), he's never really had a ton of talent... definitely not an Elway, Manning or Favre.

I'm not necessarily starting the "Marty for coach" bandwagon, but its about the most reasonable idea I've heard yet aside from the Cowher half-dream.

Bufftp
10-11-2007, 02:11 PM
So we hire Schottenheimer. Make the playoff two consective years. One and done two consecutive years. Everybody goes from praising schotty to calling for his firing.

I don't think he is the answer.

sdbillsfan2
10-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Ralph is going to wait until Norv Turner becomes available. lol
In the history of the Bills ,how many great coaches has he hired ? Hell , how many good coaches has he hired ? I can only remember 3.
Lou Saban and Marv.. And no I don't think Chuck Knox was good !..lol
After Monday .. you might want to add Wade to list list of Good coaches.Way to go Ralph... Thanks for all the memories !

Mark Cuban for new Bills owner ! Asap......... Please !

Don't Panic
10-11-2007, 02:43 PM
So we hire Schottenheimer. Make the playoff two consective years. One and done two consecutive years. Everybody goes from praising schotty to calling for his firing.

I don't think he is the answer.

That's pretty prophetic. I think its a bit premature to call him a failure here before he even get's a shot.

Oaf
10-11-2007, 04:11 PM
:yawn:
Call me when "Why" "should" and "be" are removed from the title.

Mitchy moo
10-11-2007, 04:16 PM
:yawn:
Call me when "Why" "should" and "be" are removed from the title.

Word.

ublinkwescore
10-11-2007, 04:47 PM

At least his teams make it to the postseason.

the concensus on Peyton Manning was that he was a playoff choker - but he has proven that wrong now.

I'm all for any of the following:

Schottenheimer
Cowher
John Fox if he gets canned in Carolina and then Cowher takes that job.

SABURZFAN
10-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Would Ralph pay what it took to bring him in?

i seriously doubt that the slumlord will fork out the money.

don137
10-11-2007, 08:45 PM
It's kind of like the class nerd saying he doesn't want to hook up someone because she we give you everything but won't go all the way....Beggars can't be choosers..

Whaler53
10-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Be careful what you wish for...It's a known fact that Being a fan of a Marty Schottenheimer coached football team is alittle like going to a strip club...Sure, you'll have some fun, but deep down you know you'll never get what you really want at the end of the night.

churchinski
10-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Schottenheimer has never won anything

SABURZFAN
10-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Be careful what you wish for...It's a known fact that Being a fan of a Marty Schottenheimer coached football team is alittle like going to a strip club...Sure, you'll have some fun, but deep down you know you'll never get what you really want at the end of the night.

it sure as hell will beat the funeral we've been attending for the last 7+ years.

Whaler53
10-11-2007, 10:31 PM
it sure as hell will beat the funeral we've been attending for the last 7+ years.

I can see your point. I think he might be good for your franchise, the only question, which has already been asked in this thread, is whether or not Ralph would pay to get him up there

Night Train
10-12-2007, 04:12 AM
Marty wanted complete control in Cleveland, KC, Wash. and SD. Always had issues with the teams GM.

I wish to build towards something which doesn't peak during a wild card loss. Quit settling.

Don't Panic
10-12-2007, 09:26 AM
It's kind of like the class nerd saying he doesn't want to hook up someone because she we give you everything but won't go all the way....Beggars can't be choosers..

lol... that's a pretty astute analogy!

Don't Panic
10-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Schottenheimer has never won anything

He won 14 games last year... how far back do you have to go to find 14 Bills wins? Over two years...

Don't Panic
10-12-2007, 09:29 AM
At least his teams make it to the postseason.

the concensus on Peyton Manning was that he was a playoff choker - but he has proven that wrong now.

I'm all for any of the following:

Schottenheimer
Cowher
John Fox if he gets canned in Carolina and then Cowher takes that job.

Great point. I still rue the day when we passed on Fox. He was my favorite candidate of that group. I would gladly take him if Carolina wanted to let him go... even over Shottenheimer.

ParanoidAndroid
10-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Comon....the coach who never seemed to catch a break in the championship games coaching the team who couldn't catch a break in championship games...It has NFL history written all over it.
Marty just needs to bring a better defense with him next time. I wouldn't mind that being here!

joekurtz
10-12-2007, 02:57 PM

Well, at with with Marty we'd be in the strip club door, right up next to the stage in "pervert's row" & within reach of what we desire so badly. Which IMO, is a helluva lot better than being stuck out in the damned parking lot, which is where we've been for WAY too long now with these jokers we've had at the helm.

Wilbart4363
10-12-2007, 05:46 PM
The players play, the coaches coach..without the right leadership we will be destined to win only on mere talent and not have any organized way about it..lets face it..our special teams could have won but lost the game..everyone in the world new it would be an onside and there should have been no way for Dallas to have recovered...our individual efforts by the defense kept it close..where is our killer instinct when it comes to offense? we have the talent..our o-line has great potential, but I fear we lack the proper coaching..how come teams like Denver, Indy, New England and Dallas all have great offensive lines and most likely did not have to paid 30 million for it..they are great because of coaching....our offensive coordinator must be throwing darts at a board..there is no rhyme or reason to his madness..if something is not working try something else..oh wait I forgot we can only run up the middle..how foolish of me to think we could run off tackle or even try a draw or screen now and then.....so far that is two coaches, how about our defensive lines inability to produce pressure on a quarterback..whatever happened to blitzes..they are still legal..maybe someone should call Dick and have him relay the messwage to is defensive line coach...these clowns are paid alot of money and it seems that they (the coaches) all are practicing their dart throws or really not interested in winning..I was always told winners never quit and quitters never win...the players are playing I think it is the coaches who have given up..wholesale change may be necessary...Edwards was not to blame, I think if we can get a competant coach in here we would have a great QB in Edwards, Coaching is needed to build a solid defense and a prepared offensive game plan..not just picking the plays out of a hat and hope for the best...we deserve the number one pick at this rate..maybe we can draft a head coach..do you think they would let us?

Whaler53
10-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Well, at with with Marty we'd be in the strip club door, right up next to the stage in "pervert's row" & within reach of what we desire so badly. Which IMO, is a helluva lot better than being stuck out in the damned parking lot, which is where we've been for WAY too long now with these jokers we've had at the helm.

That's awesome.....

You just made me laugh out loud. For that I thank you. And yes, I do see your point

Philagape
10-12-2007, 06:45 PM
It's not like we've never had a coach who always ended up losing in the postseason. He still seems to be pretty popular, for his coaching.

Cleve
10-12-2007, 10:06 PM
I wish to build towards something which doesn't peak during a wild card loss.

That was my thought as well, when I first posted in this topic. The Bills don't need a band-aid, they need surgery!

SABURZFAN
10-12-2007, 11:09 PM
I can see your point. I think he might be good for your franchise, the only question, which has already been asked in this thread, is whether or not Ralph would pay to get him up there

the slumlord will not do that.he's pocketing every dime before he croaks.