PDA

View Full Version : Why Has Our Offense Been So Impotent?

raphael120
10-11-2007, 11:19 AM
It's an honest question.

Why haven't we been a team to rack up lots of points? Even just one game?

Hell, Joey Harrington put up 3 TDs with Atlanta, and you can say that even we have better WRs, RBs, and OL.

How about Miami? They even had a game where they put up some points.

What I'm getting at is...we don't have the leagues worst QB...we don't have the leagues worst WR corps...we don't have the leagues worst RB or OL...so why in the hell do we have one of the leagues worst offense?

Could it be because we have one of the leagues worst OC's?

It's just mindboggling that between 2 of our QB's, through 5 games...we've thrown 1 TD through the air. 1. That's inexcusable. And I don't even want to talk about Monday night. Our offense has sucked the past year and a half. NO improvement and Fairchild has shown that the defense can hand his offense the ball on 6 different occasions and put absolutely no points on the board because of it.

I'm suprised no one is seeing other teams around the league and seeing how putting up a TD through the air is not a rarity, it almost happens every game for other teams, yet if we passed and scored a TD through the air, Bills fans would explode with exciment because we're not used to that. And you wonder why everyones all on Trents nuts after the Jets game, mind you it was a pretty mediocre game for Trent, but we are beyond starved as fans. It's just getting pathetic. We're prisoners in our own houses who have been fed crap to eat for the past 7 years and when Ralph and the Bills throw us some moldy crusty bread, it's ****in Thanksgiving!

That's what you're seeing now. Excitement over small things that are commonplace on any other team in the league. And its just sad. Wys was right...these may be the twilight years of the Bills...and it's a shame that this is what we've been given.

Jan Reimers
10-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Poor run blocking and the inability - possibly the result of coaching decisions - of our QBs to throw it down the field. If you can't run effectively, and you can't loosen up the D, the dink and dunk game doesn't work.

OpIv37
10-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Because this is Steve Fairchild:

http://www.schedler.org/images/head-up-ass.jpg

Yeah, I know it's an old gag, but it's way too appropriate here. When your OC is busy doing DIY colonoscopies, it leads to futility.

raphael120
10-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Poor run blocking and the inability - possibly the result of coaching decisions - of our QBs to throw it down the field.

So? There are other teams in the league with worse offensive production on the ground with lesser talented RBs that are getting the job done. I go back to Atlanta. They have a pretty bad run game going right now and they're still able to do things on offense.

justasportsfan
10-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Isn't it wierd that our D that's been decimated by injury is the one thats carried the O that we've dished out a ton of money to improve. I think it's a matter of time. WE're not gelling sooner than we'd like plus Fairchild's conservative outlook . It also seems like he likes to control his qb's instead of letting them play.

raphael120
10-11-2007, 11:33 AM
I just have to ask Fairchild.

What the **** are we waiting for? 1-14 before we play some ****ing football?

Jan Reimers
10-11-2007, 11:34 AM
So? There are other teams in the league with worse offensive production on the ground with lesser talented RBs that are getting the job done. I go back to Atlanta. They have a pretty bad run game going right now and they're still able to do things on offense.
I said 1.) an ineffective running game AND 2.) the inability or unwillingness to throw long. That doesn't leave anything but the short passing game, which hasn't produced much for us.

justasportsfan
10-11-2007, 11:34 AM
I want CHarlie Weiss .

raphael120
10-11-2007, 11:36 AM
I want CHarlie Weiss .

So...we got rid of Mularkey to get... Dick "Inspector Gadget the Second" Jauron. Nice.

EDS
10-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Isn't this Fairchild's second go-around with the team? Wasn't he inept the first time?

I know many of you do not want to here this, and Marv has done a decent job with the draft, but Marv's work in free agency has been a disaster. He has paid millions to back-up caliber players like Peerless Price, Langston Walker, Larry Triplett, etc. and all have failed to make any impact on this team. Dockery has been o.k. but for the money he is getting he should be better then o.k.

Marv also hired Jauron, and Jauron hired two terrible coordinators.

Mahdi
10-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Isn't this Fairchild's second go-around with the team? Wasn't he inept the first time?

I know many of you do not want to here this, and Marv has done a decent job with the draft, but Marv's work in free agency has been a disaster. He has paid millions to back-up caliber players like Peerless Price, Langston Walker, Larry Triplett, etc. and all have failed to make any impact on this team. Dockery has been o.k. but for the money he is getting he should be better then o.k.

Marv also hired Jauron, and Jauron hired two terrible coordinators.
I would say that Tripplett has been serviceable, Dockery hasnt played up to expectations but there could be a variety of reasons such as defenses looking to stack the run against a poor passing game thus far, and Walker has actually been a pleasant surprise. If you think about it he has been going up against pass rushing LBs all year since we have only played 3-4 teams and he has done a great job in pass pro. IMO he has been solid.

gr8slayer
10-11-2007, 11:59 AM
From here on in I think the coaching staff needs to pick a QB and start building an identity. It's going to be impossible to get anything going on offense if we're going to play games with the QB spot.

mchurchfie
10-11-2007, 12:00 PM
The good OCs can make chickensoup out of chicken**** at least some times. Fairchild had chicken**** last year but he has more than enough to work with this year. Maybe he needs to loosen his rigid ass up a little and start getting creative by playing to his player's strength. I'm getting tired of that watercress soup that he has been serving up so far. :cynic:

Philagape
10-11-2007, 12:33 PM
1. Bad receivers. Evans is the only WR on this team that can start in the NFL. He's good enough to beat single coverage, but not good enough to carry an offense when opponents focus on him. No other receiver here can be counted on to get open beyond 10 yards or draw attention away from Evans. This has been a dink-and-dunk team because we have dink-and-dunk receivers.
To use the Falcons example, Evans is better than anyone on the Falcons, but the Falcons' WRs are better than the rest of ours, and Crumpler is way better than our TEs. The Bills had an opportunity to sign a starting WR (Curtis and Bennett were available), and they didn't. To leave the receiving corps intact is a colossal blunder. An offense needs to give defenses more than one target to think about.
2. Fairchild, discussed here ad nauseum.
3. Running game. Lynch certainly gives a great effort and will get through the hole here and there, but he's not getting much help from the line. Plus being a rookie, he needs to improve his decisions a little.
4. Quarterbacks. Edwards is a rookie, and JP is ... JP. Losman needs to be less erratic, and Edwards needs to be more daring.

Like I said a few weeks ago, we have the perfect storm.

R. Rich
10-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Poor run blocking and the inability - possibly the result of coaching decisions - of our QBs to throw it down the field. If you can't run effectively, and you can't loosen up the D, the dink and dunk game doesn't work.

Nice post, Jan. Isn't it just a bit distressing that the biggest guy on the field can't knock a person off their feet and spring the RBs for big yards?

Well, @ least he can block kicks.

trapezeus
10-11-2007, 12:54 PM
in some ways, i feel like jauron really does understand defense. the defense doesn't give up many points. The steelers game, they held them to 4 fieldgoals despite playing the majority of the 1st half. and the same is true with NE. They played well when before they tired out.

who knows what level of D is Jauron based and what level is Fewell based. The bills really should have an OC guy who was previously a HC. Dare i say it, but a norv turner. The guy excels when an OC, destroys everything in sight when promoted. The way it looks right now, he'll be open pretty soon. Let jauron and fewell keep the D getting better and let a real offensive mind get to work on this team.