• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

stupid question on D

What's the difference between the Tampa 2 and a prevent defense? I ask only partially joking.
  • pats-were-right
    Just paint a target on my forehead
    • Dec 2003

Re: stupid question on D

The "Tampa 2" is a basic defense in which the defensive players "stay home" and there is little blitzing or crossing. Each safety guards 1/2 of the field (the "cover 2" part of the description)

I always understood a "prevent" to mean that the players go beyond staying home in their normal positions - rather, they actually retreat, so you have defensive linemen and linebackers taking a step back to guard against the big play and allow the 10-yarders.

In a cover two, the defense MAY allow large chucks of yards in front of them. In a prevent they WILL.

Comment

• Philagape
      WIN NOW
      • Jul 2002

In a prevent defense there are usually more DBs. It's when you know the other team needs to pass.

The Tampa 2 includes the base defense of the normal 4 DL, 3 LBs and 4 DBs, and is regardless of what play the other team runs.
      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Mitchy moo
        Roways rooking ahread!
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Philagape

The Tampa 2 includes the base defense of the normal 4 DL, 3 LBs and 4 DBs, and is regardless of what play the other team runs.
        Commonly referred to as a 4-3-4.

Comment

Working...
        X