PDA

View Full Version : Being in the lead presented an odd situation

Mitchy moo
10-11-2007, 04:34 PM
A lot has been made of the fact that the Bills only scored 3 points on offense on Monday night. Obviously that is unacceptable.

However, I think part of the reason for the lack of points was that we were unexpectedly leading the entire game (until the bitter conclusion). I'm not breaking new ground here, but it's worth mentioning. If we were down or even tied, I think Fairchild would have opened things up more and we would have seen more production and probably more points. But ironically since we were protecting the lead, I think Fairchild was thinking "our defense and special teams have been doing their job, let's not push the rook to do too much and cost us the game." Oddly, Fairchild broke from this philosophy on the play that led to the interception.

JD
10-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Nobody thought we would pick off homo five times. Obviously we tried to hold the lead from then on, playing ultra conservative. Thats why we didnt throw the bomb like people were waiting for. We lost, I'm finally over it.

Thank god for the bye week :up:

Jan Reimers
10-11-2007, 05:12 PM
I guess being in the lead against Denver with 2 seconds remaining was also a burden we couldn't bear.

In my new pessimist role, I would just say that I don't think leading all the way will be typical from now on out.

Oaf
10-11-2007, 05:32 PM
In the first half Fairchild should have attempted to capitalize off of so many turnovers and put the game out of reach.
He didn't.

In the 2nd half Fairchild should have attempted to score any amount of points at all and put the game out of reach.
He didn't.

justasportsfan
10-11-2007, 05:40 PM
read the thread where Farchild said he called for deep throws but it never materialized. Not saying it's Edwads' fault it it makes thread thread look foolish or simply another attempt for skoobs to come up with excuses.

Mitchy moo
10-11-2007, 05:44 PM
read the thread where Farchild said he called for deep throws but it never materialized. Not saying it's Edwads' fault it it makes thread thread look foolish or simply another attempt for skoobs to come up with excuses.

Excuses?? How about 97 yards passing is that an excuse? I don't want the Bills offense to go back to that low of a place. Please don't bother telling me that Denver has a awesome Defense either. We lost that game because we couldn't stay on the field long enough on offense. The losing FG kick was a result of too much time for our opponent to beat us.

YardRat
10-11-2007, 05:52 PM
I'd like somebody to point out how many deep routes were actually run by the WR's so we can actually determine the 'quality' of the play-calling.

TheBrownBear
10-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Skooby really hits the nail on the head with his OP. They went conservative because they were nursing the lead. Even still, the offense did a good job of controlling the clock and winning the field position battle. We had four drives on offense that should have been "scoring drives." We had the one fg, the int, the missed fg, and the penalty by Dockery that negated that long pass play inside the 15 and pushed us out of fg range. If we convert on those drives we win easily. The problem for us was critical mistakes within that scoring zone (say...inside the 30), not that the offense was completely ineffective the way it had been under JP. We work on correcting those mistakes and I think you'll see our point production increase under Edwards.

The problem with JP was that we really weren't generating any consistent offense at all...at best maybe one drive a game. With our young depleted defense, that is a recipe for disaster.

Mitchy moo
10-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Skooby really hits the nail on the head with his OP. They went conservative because they were nursing the lead. Even still, the offense did a good job of controlling the clock and winning the field position battle. We had four drives on offense that should have been "scoring drives." We had the one fg, the int, the missed fg, and the penalty by Dockery that negated that long pass play inside the 15 and pushed us out of fg range. If we convert on those drives we win easily. The problem for us was critical mistakes within that scoring zone (say...inside the 30), not that the offense was completely ineffective the way it had been under JP. We work on correcting those mistakes and I think you'll see our point production increase under Edwards.

The problem with JP was that we really weren't generating any consistent offense at all...at best maybe one drive a game. With our young depleted defense, that is a recipe for disaster.

A genius in our midsts!!

justasportsfan
10-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Skooby really hits the nail on the head with his OP. They went conservative because they were nursing the lead.
Right :rolleyes: How many times has Jauron gone for 4th downs or deep on 3rd and five with the lead ? You guys are again making excuses. You are making assumptions about what Fairchild did when his article says otherwise. We all know skoobies source is imaginary.

Mitchy moo
10-12-2007, 01:15 PM
We all know skoobies source is imaginary.

I'm glad your so certain.