PDA

View Full Version : What if Losman starts and plays great?!

HHURRICANE
10-12-2007, 07:37 AM
Than what?!

Wraith
10-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Touche

streetkings01
10-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Then you have to evaluate him on a game to game basis! IMO if he gets the start against the Ravens he will have a bad game and then people will say.....

#1 - It was his 1st game back, he's still alittle rusty!
#2 - The Ravens D is a top ranked D, what do you expect!
#3 - The playcalling sucked in that game and Fairchild wants him to fail!

Just pick one, because 1 of those 3 will be the excuse!

Mahdi
10-12-2007, 07:53 AM
Then he's our QB. And its clear that the first 2 games were more to do with the team as a whole than just Losman.

HHURRICANE
10-12-2007, 08:03 AM
Then you have to evaluate him on a game to game basis! IMO if he gets the start against the Ravens he will have a bad game and then people will say.....

#1 - It was his 1st game back, he's still alittle rusty!
#3 - The playcalling sucked in that game and Fairchild wants him to fail!

Just pick one, because 1 of those 3 will be the excuse!

Read Mahdi's response.

HHURRICANE
10-12-2007, 08:04 AM
Then he's our QB. And its clear that the first 2 games were more to do with the team as a whole than just Losman.

Read BuffaloBills06's response.

HHURRICANE
10-12-2007, 08:05 AM
Two valid arguments back to back, w/o calling the other one a Trentard or a Losman licker.

There are intelligent posters here afterall!!

Johnny Bugmenot
10-12-2007, 08:10 AM
What if Losman... plays great?

Yeah. Right. Like that'll ever happen.

Mahdi
10-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Well I think its a pretty common sense situation. From this point on its Losmans job to maintain or lose. The ball is in his court, I hope he can deal with pressure because this is the most pressure he has had to deal with since he's been in the league.

bigbub2352
10-12-2007, 08:16 AM
It will be Losman's job to lose, he will either be our franchise back and get a contract EXT, or faulter and Trent will take the ranes, JP's last oppurtunity is now, if he cant string together a couple of solid performances, then bye bye, if he suceeds, we have a Matt Schaub problem on our hands, which is a very good problem

Philagape
10-12-2007, 08:25 AM

Actually the Ravens aren't that great this year. Their pass defense is middle of the pack.
They gave up 260 yards and a TD to Kellen Clemens; over 300 yards and 2 TDs to Warner/Leinart; and 204 and 2 TDs to Derek Anderson.

Gunzlingr
10-12-2007, 08:25 AM
Then it will be because of everyone else, not anything he did.

OpIv37
10-12-2007, 08:29 AM
what if Losman plays great? We'll probably win- good.

Do I think Losman will play great against the Ravens' D? No, but if it happens, why would any Bills fan be pissed about that? The goal is to win games, not resolve an Internet QB controversy.

theanswer74
10-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Than what?!

Then great.

Just because people think JP Lsoman wont play great, doesnt mean they would be mad if he does play great.

Even though I would rather never hear him talk again, ide love to watch him play great football?

Will it happen? I want Trent Edwards to keep playing, that should answer the question.

jamze132
10-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Wouldn't it be a good thing for JP to play good? I really hope he does. I could care less if Jeff George came out of whatever the **** he is doing so as long as he plays like a winner for years to come.

Don't Panic
10-12-2007, 09:23 AM
There is a bit of a danger at throwing Edwards out too soon. I love the way the kid has played, but I don't want his psyche getting destroyed by taking losses every week. Part of me doesn't buy this argument and says that he showed he's ready now so play him now. Still... if there were one good argument for starting Losman, this would be it.

HHURRICANE
10-12-2007, 09:27 AM
There is a bit of a danger at throwing Edwards out too soon. I love the way the kid has played, but I don't want his psyche getting destroyed by taking losses every week. Part of me doesn't buy this argument and says that he showed he's ready now so play him now. Still... if there were one good argument for starting Losman, this would be it.

I think we gain more by letting Edwards sit. This is a 180 from the way I felt on Tuesday.

Had we won the Dallas game I think we should and would have started Edwards.

Now we might as well end the JP debate once and for all and put him back out there. Edwards is NOT going to get worse sitting on the bench. If Jp has any game this is his time to prove it.

One last point. If JP does play great don't expect him back in Buffalo. I believe the FO will trade him anyway and go with Edwards.

SquishDaFish
10-12-2007, 09:30 AM
All I want to see if the Bills win. IF JP comes around after realizing his job is about to be lost to a rookie then great. If not and Edwards continues to be QB and we Win thats fine also. I just want W's and dont care whos starting where as long as we have the best on the field. Lets see how JP plays now that he knows his backup is about to take his job

Meathead
10-12-2007, 09:30 AM
****** gas. gotta be a leak somewhar

btw whats a rane

HHURRICANE
10-12-2007, 09:32 AM
****** gas. gotta be a leak somewhar

btw whats a rane

????

djjimkelly
10-12-2007, 09:39 AM
listen i never wanted trent to play bad. i just know from watching JP and the learning curve hes been on that we are all gonna be happy when everything comes together. at the beginning of the season i was sure it would be 1 more year based on many things.

1. the wr core is not good enough. and flawed in design. play with them lol in madden and ull see

2. i knew the D would go through growing pains(just becuz they took away ball 5 times from dallas i dont think we are magically fixed)

3. and yes i dont think JP will be the full JP we have until next season. he does still only have about 25 starts.(sadly with no help from his OC)

4. our o line is gonna be very solid next season. i believe in the time to gel theory.

i think all of us bills fans have 1 major issue AND THATS A LACK OF PLAYOFFS FOR LAST 8 YEARS. WHAT IS SAD MULARKY SHOULD HAVE HAD US IN in 2005 everyones view point would be much different.

streetkings01
10-12-2007, 09:53 AM
listen i never wanted trent to play bad. i just know from watching JP and the learning curve hes been on that we are all gonna be happy when everything comes together. at the beginning of the season i was sure it would be 1 more year based on many things.

1. the wr core is not good enough. and flawed in design. play with them lol in madden and ull see

2. i knew the D would go through growing pains(just becuz they took away ball 5 times from dallas i dont think we are magically fixed)

3. and yes i dont think JP will be the full JP we have until next season. he does still only have about 25 starts.(sadly with no help from his OC)

4. our o line is gonna be very solid next season. i believe in the time to gel theory.

i think all of us bills fans have 1 major issue AND THATS A LACK OF PLAYOFFS FOR LAST 8 YEARS. WHAT IS SAD MULARKY SHOULD HAVE HAD US IN in 2005 everyones view point would be much different.No way we go into his 5th year w/ the same questions that need to be answered since year #2!!!! No freaking way, either JP puts up or shuts up over the next 3 games PERIOD!

scott51
10-12-2007, 09:56 AM
I didn't read all the posts in here so sorry if this is a repeat. Ya know what, I am sick and tired of hearing, "well, its gonna take 1 more year to get things going". JP Losman had his shot, he blew it, now its time to let Trent Edwards take over. Will Trent take us to the playoffs this year, probably not, but I believe he has shown more promise than JP has. I believe that Trent is our future and we need to let him begin his Era now. I think its going to be a long and successful Era! Even Jim Kelly said he was in "Aw" of Trent Edwards.

acehole
10-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Than what?!

Best possible sceanario.

We have trade bait in one of the 2 qbs....in a qb starved league...on a team with 8 or 9 holes draft picks welcome!

Typ0
10-12-2007, 10:05 AM
I didn't read all the posts in here so sorry if this is a repeat. Ya know what, I am sick and tired of hearing, "well, its gonna take 1 more year to get things going". JP Losman had his shot, he blew it, now its time to let Trent Edwards take over. Will Trent take us to the playoffs this year, probably not, but I believe he has shown more promise than JP has. I believe that Trent is our future and we need to let him begin his Era now. I think its going to be a long and successful Era! Even Jim Kelly said he was in "Aw" of Trent Edwards.

I don't understand why it's so hard to understand that having a QB who can only play well when all variables are perfectly aligned to him playing well is useless. We need a QB who is going to play well despite the odds being stacked against him. At least that's what I want. That would be a leader.

scott51
10-12-2007, 10:08 AM
I don't understand why it's so hard to understand that having a QB who can only play well when all variables are perfectly aligned to him playing well is useless. We need a QB who is going to play well despite the odds being stacked against him. At least that's what I want. That would be a leader.

If Trent starts against the Ravens it would be start #3. Give him some time and IMO he will become a leader on this football team. JP has had plenty of time to take over this team and he hasn't done it

realdealryan
10-12-2007, 10:13 AM
JP's trade value will go from little or none to maybe something....

Vinny might start for the Panthers! JP's gotta be worth something!

Typ0
10-12-2007, 10:14 AM
If Trent starts against the Ravens it would be start #3. Give him some time and IMO he will become a leader on this football team. JP has had plenty of time to take over this team and he hasn't done it

I've already seen TE play at least decent against good teams when the chips were really stacked against him. The only reason I'd put JP back in there is because TE isn't really ready to play yet...but he will be. I do think that's a legit reason though and I'm not going to question the coaching staff if JP is starting. Either way, it will be TE next season I'd bet.

Don't Panic
10-12-2007, 10:14 AM
I think we gain more by letting Edwards sit. This is a 180 from the way I felt on Tuesday.

Had we won the Dallas game I think we should and would have started Edwards.

Now we might as well end the JP debate once and for all and put him back out there. Edwards is NOT going to get worse sitting on the bench. If Jp has any game this is his time to prove it.

One last point. If JP does play great don't expect him back in Buffalo. I believe the FO will trade him anyway and go with Edwards.

I'm right there with you... it was a no-brainer for Edwards on Tuesday, but now it makes more sense out JP in there. Either way, I still think Edwards is our QB of the future.

scott51
10-12-2007, 10:20 AM
JP Losman has had 24 starts to give us something to look forward to. He hasn't done that. Sure he's had a couple good games but so did RJ and TC. I would rather get Trent in there and start letting him grow and learn.

trapezeus
10-12-2007, 10:50 AM
this is football, when things go good, you don't overthink it. did the ravens complain when dilfer couldn't score despite the fact they happily trotted on to SB victory? No. No one cares when you win. It just feels good.

Anyone who puts up W's in the standings will be the set of guys i cheer for.

HAMMER
10-12-2007, 11:01 AM
If the Bills think Edwards is their future then he should continue starting. It makes no sense to prolong the issue. Give him the reps and game experience.

TacklingDummy
10-12-2007, 11:36 AM
1 game does not make a career or season.

camelcowboy
10-12-2007, 12:24 PM
1 game does not make a career or season.No but when you have twenty + games of medicority i'd rather go with the guy who looks better in 3 games.

Confused
10-12-2007, 12:41 PM
i want wins. i'm not ready to hand over the qb position to TE quite yet. But the time may be soon. JP must perform consistently for 3-4 games before i can say he has his job for keeps

i really dont think that either playercan gaurantee a win against the Ravens.

HAMMER
10-12-2007, 12:51 PM
1 game does not make a career or season.

You've hated on Losman for years, now you are going to start on Edwards? Will you ever support a Bills QB?

Saratoga Slim
10-12-2007, 01:18 PM

I agree. Trent's still a rookie. If our veteran QB who was declared the undisputed starter coming into the season is playing great, it should be his job.

I for one hope JP plays great and earns the right to keep his job. But if not, it's better if he really tanks. Anything in between and we're going to have to keep talking about this all season.

TacklingDummy
10-12-2007, 02:38 PM
You've hated on Losman for years, now you are going to start on Edwards? Will you ever support a Bills QB?

I was referring to if Losman played great against the Ravens.

Novacane
10-12-2007, 03:45 PM
What if Losman... plays great?

Yeah. Right. Like that'll ever happen.

Even a blind dog finds a bone once in a while.

Typ0
10-12-2007, 05:07 PM
the best thing that could happen for the team is for losman to get his head on straight and start performing like the monster he could be. We need to see some good consistent quarterbacking for a change. Every aspect of our game will change.

justasportsfan
10-12-2007, 05:23 PM
We need a QB who is going to play well despite the odds being stacked against him. At least that's what I want. That would be a leader.you mean someone who will defy the plays called to him? The last time someone said if he didn't like the call he'll change it was Flutie. They then picked Rob Johnson soon right after that.

It's the OC responsibility to make the right calls and put the team in a position to win. To tell you the truth I hope JP runs what he thinks should be ran behind center. He's got nothing to lose now but back then , we all know that Fairchild likes to put a lid on his players. At least that's what was implied by the wrs prior to the NE game.

Typ0
10-12-2007, 05:29 PM
you mean someone who will defy the plays called to him?

No. I mean someone who will execute what they are given effectively and make plays in the situation they are in.

justasportsfan
10-12-2007, 05:33 PM
No. I mean someone who will execute what they are given effectively and make plays in the situation they are in.
Easier said then done. It takes more than just the qb to execute a play. From the coaches to the players said that it wasn't just one person who wasn't executing . Like I said even the caoches need to make the right call.

I'll give you an example on the OC thing but use Fewell instead. Wasn't it Fewell who apologized for putting his D in that situation on the last drive of the cowboys? Did he not apologize ? Players can't just execute when they are put in a position to lose.

DynaPaul
10-12-2007, 07:00 PM
He's got almost the rest of the season to make or break himself assuming he gets the start. The Ravens game is only one game. We've seen him have good games and terrible ones. Consistency is the key. If he continues to show that he's always going to be an up and down player then he'll probably ride pine.

YardRat
10-12-2007, 07:30 PM

Great post.

PECKERWOOD
10-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Two valid arguments back to back, w/o calling the other one a Trentard or a Losman licker.

There are intelligent posters here afterall!!

hahaha Trentard!! That's great.

Typ0
10-13-2007, 06:46 AM
Easier said then done. It takes more than just the qb to execute a play. From the coaches to the players said that it wasn't just one person who wasn't executing . Like I said even the caoches need to make the right call.

I'll give you an example on the OC thing but use Fewell instead. Wasn't it Fewell who apologized for putting his D in that situation on the last drive of the cowboys? Did he not apologize ? Players can't just execute when they are put in a position to lose.

Listen, these guys are so called professionals. maybe they don't like the "convervative" play. Tough ****. Go out thre and play well and show people that it doesn't work then. Don't go out there and play bad then whine about the playcalling. I think Edwards has done well with the less flashy gameplan...and I think the overall objective is to make more use of the downs we have and keep the defense off the field. We pumped up the OLine and now we need to use it and are trying. The big hurdle the offense needs to make with Edwards on the field is they need to score from the red zone. The big hurdle they need to make with JP Lossman is they need to get a first down. Too many damn excuses floating around. Get on the right page with everyone and try and win the game.

SABURZFAN
10-13-2007, 07:36 AM
Than what?!

what is your definition of great?

TacklingDummy
10-13-2007, 07:49 AM
what is your definition of great?

For Losman its playing average.

SABURZFAN
10-13-2007, 08:02 AM

i think all of us bills fans have 1 major issue AND THATS A LACK OF PLAYOFFS FOR LAST 8 YEARS. WHAT IS SAD MULARKY SHOULD HAVE HAD US IN in 2005 everyones view point would be much different.

:z: until then, somebody give me a nudge when this dream becomes a reality.

1.first of all,this isn't a ******ed video game we're talking about here.second,this crap of an excuse of having no WR's is getting old.Edwards seemed to adapt to that problem and found Michael Gaines.i've never heard of him until we signed him.i figured he was ST's material.

2.the D seems to be on the field less when Edwards is at QB too. :up:

3.i think they pulled the plug on the Rob Johnson experience after 25 games.( excuses....excuses...... :deadhorse: )

4.the depth of the OL is a big concern NOW.

that water ran under the bridge a LONG time ago.i don't care about Mularkey or Manboobs or whoever.............

acehole
10-13-2007, 08:30 AM
I advocateted this before.If I am him and my NFL job is on the line I show case if they are calling the game they did against the Broncos.JP has an elway like rocket arm and they need to use it if they wan to win.

you mean someone who will defy the plays called to him? The last time someone said if he didn't like the call he'll change it was Flutie. They then picked Rob Johnson soon right after that.

It's the OC responsibility to make the right calls and put the team in a position to win. To tell you the truth I hope JP runs what he thinks should be ran behind center. He's got nothing to lose now but back then , we all know that Fairchild likes to put a lid on his players. At least that's what was implied by the wrs prior to the NE game.

acehole
10-13-2007, 08:34 AM
How can JP get a TD when they call qb sneaks with 99 yeads to go....or a 5-10 yard comeback route on 3 and 15?

Get a clue dude.

Listen, these guys are so called professionals. maybe they don't like the "convervative" play. Tough ****. Go out thre and play well and show people that it doesn't work then. Don't go out there and play bad then whine about the playcalling. I think Edwards has done well with the less flashy gameplan...and I think the overall objective is to make more use of the downs we have and keep the defense off the field. We pumped up the OLine and now we need to use it and are trying. The big hurdle the offense needs to make with Edwards on the field is they need to score from the red zone. The big hurdle they need to make with JP Lossman is they need to get a first down. Too many damn excuses floating around. Get on the right page with everyone and try and win the game.

Inetpub
10-13-2007, 01:06 PM
How can JP get a TD when they call qb sneaks with 99 yeads to go....or a 5-10 yard comeback route on 3 and 15?

Get a clue dude.

And yet how can we expect JP to play well when his history will say another 100 yard passing game?

List me 3 games where JP threw for 300 yards and 3 tds. or we had 30+ points in JP's era?

If JP plays well, yank him anyways. He'll revert to his old ways. he always does.

Mitchy moo
10-13-2007, 03:47 PM
And yet how can we expect JP to play well when his history will say another 100 yard passing game?

List me 3 games where JP threw for 300 yards and 3 tds. or we had 30+ points in JP's era?

If JP plays well, yank him anyways. He'll revert to his old ways. he always does.

Leopard / spots theory.

83evans
10-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Than what?!

Then Losman started and played great. What do mean what if.

SABURZFAN
10-13-2007, 07:36 PM

the Lickers will look at the Passer Rating and call it good.

do his days at Tulane count?

keep him in there and let it play out for the Lickers.when reality sets in,they'll be more heartbroken than a 12 year old who lost his first girlfriend.

jmb1099
10-14-2007, 08:08 AM
We have one receiver that works hard to get open and his name isn't evans. Until we get a group of receivers that is at least average expect below average results no matter who is at the helm

Mitchy moo
10-14-2007, 08:22 AM
We have one receiver that works hard to get open and his name isn't evans. Until we get a group of receivers that is at least average expect below average results no matter who is at the helm

spreading the ball around & finding the open man might help as well, oh wait that takes the ability to recognize defenses.

jmb1099
10-14-2007, 09:15 AM
spreading the ball around & finding the open man might help as well, oh wait that takes the ability to recognize defenses.
You need to understand something. For me this isn't about Edwards vs Losman, it never was. I have said quite a few times that Edwards looked great against the Jets and pretty decent against the Cowboys and I have also stated that Losman has looked awful this year.
That being said, what really stood out to me as far as offense is concerned during the Dallas game is that we had 2 receivers that caught passes and made plays, and one more consistently than the other. Problem is neither one of them is named Evans. I'm not making excuses either way, but a spade is a spade and we need some receivers that can make plays and create options.

Edwards looks fantastic to me, especially considering he's a rookie. But the receiving corps we have now is going to be the downfall of whatever QB is in here. For the record Edwards spread the ball around rather nicely and we still came away with three points on offense. I personally think he's going to prove to be the future of the team, but in order for us to be successful we need play-making receivers.

mybills
10-14-2007, 09:22 AM
I would take posts more seriously if there were no "licker" or "Lossman" in the context. How old are you guys? :rolleyes:

churchinski
10-14-2007, 04:05 PM

I was going to start a thread on this 'just 25 starts' BS

I was sure by now after everyone has seen the performances of young QBs around the league that this myth sold to the less astute fans was finally dead

But apparently there are still fans that believe this crap that 25 start is 'only 25 starts' and that the learning process is one that takes half a decade.

when are they going to realize that the learning process is a half a decade or more in regard to Lossman not in regard to QBs in general