PDA

View Full Version : The Bottom Line for the Bills.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
10-12-2007, 08:13 AM
Plain and simple.

When the going gets tough (and yes, we've had alot of that lately), these guys
fold under the pressure.

Good guys, and they do know football. Seem to be good motivators too.
Unfortunately, in the NFL, that is not enough.

I would say that it all falls back on Jauron. During crunch time he should be in the DC and OC's ear letting them know that they should call a certain kind of play.
Not the specific play, but something like "Let's keep the pressure on" or "Let's not do anything stupid here" or "Let's go with what's been working all night".
And they should have a game plan that addresses situations that are bound to happen. They should have known ahead of time that when you are within field goal range and about to lock up a game, you don't throw a outside slant, no matter who your QB is.

Until we get a REAL, PROVEN Head Coach with a good handle on his staff, it won't matter how much young talent we have. We will fail.

Overall, you have to be impressed with our personnel. Apart from the D-Line (wow, those DE's are really earning their money, huh?), almost every player on this team has played quite well. I feel good about our QB for the first time in many years. But all that amounts to nothing if the coaching staff makes poor decisions with games on the line.

So while I am optimistic about the talent we have assembled (I have changed my mind to some extent about Marv and Co.'s decision making), I think the biggest change needed is coaching.

Just my opinion.

Mahdi
10-12-2007, 08:24 AM
I'm pretty tired of hearing about how our coaching sucks or watever. When the players perform the basics on a consistent basis like run blocking then ill look to the coaching.

Take a team like the Giants. People question their coaching all the time yet they are in most games because the players get the job done. Their OL consistently run blocks well and that opens up their pass game allowing the offense as a whole to be successful. And interestingly enough their OC is the same OC we ran out of Buffalo Kevin Gilbride. So can we please stop swinging the axe all the time when we dont like how things are going. Give the coaches and players a chance to gel. The more time they spend together the more they will get a feel for what they are good at, what they need and what they need to get rid of. These things take time. And as evidenced by Monday night these coaches are capable of putting together solid game plans. Yeah we didnt put up the points, but Fairchild cant plug himself in on the OL and bust open holes for Marshawn himself. In the red zone if you cant run the ball then enjoy putting up 3.

jamze132
10-12-2007, 08:58 AM
I'm pretty tired of hearing about how our coaching sucks or watever. When the players perform the basics on a consistent basis like run blocking then ill look to the coaching.

Take a team like the Giants. People question their coaching all the time yet they are in most games because the players get the job done. Their OL consistently run blocks well and that opens up their pass game allowing the offense as a whole to be successful. And interestingly enough their OC is the same OC we ran out of Buffalo Kevin Gilbride. So can we please stop swinging the axe all the time when we dont like how things are going. Give the coaches and players a chance to gel. The more time they spend together the more they will get a feel for what they are good at, what they need and what they need to get rid of. These things take time. And as evidenced by Monday night these coaches are capable of putting together solid game plans. Yeah we didnt put up the points, but Fairchild cant plug himself in on the OL and bust open holes for Marshawn himself. In the red zone if you cant run the ball then enjoy putting up 3.
I hear what you are saying but what are the players supposed to do when your DC calls a 3-deep zone with less than 20 seconds left on the clock, out of time outs, and FG range?

Also what are we supposed to do when your OC calls for a pass play when we are driving deep into Dallas teritory when all we need to do is run the ball, burn a few more seconds off the clock, and then kick the FG to take a commanding lead?

Karma bit us in the ass... again! When you are supposed to run, you run and protect the ball. When you try to out-think the opposition, you usually out-think yourself and bad things happen.

jamze132
10-12-2007, 09:00 AM
What are we supposed to do when the HC hires guys that make the decisions listed above?

Mahdi
10-12-2007, 09:39 AM
I hear what you are saying but what are the players supposed to do when your DC calls a 3-deep zone with less than 20 seconds left on the clock, out of time outs, and FG range?

Also what are we supposed to do when your OC calls for a pass play when we are driving deep into Dallas teritory when all we need to do is run the ball, burn a few more seconds off the clock, and then kick the FG to take a commanding lead?

Karma bit us in the ass... again! When you are supposed to run, you run and protect the ball. When you try to out-think the opposition, you usually out-think yourself and bad things happen.
K im not sure what the thought is behind playing deep on the last play... but what I can say is that every coach in the NFL makes mistakes now and then. One coaching decision shouldnt cost you a game though. IF we could have run the ball effectively throughout the game we wouldnt be having this conversation. Fact is,,,, Buffalo is ALWAYS in a tight game because we cant pull away from teams for one reason or another. Usually related to running and stopping the run. Therefore the one decision the coach makes that goes wrong during the game is magnified.

djjimkelly
10-12-2007, 09:47 AM
K im not sure what the thought is behind playing deep on the last play... but what I can say is that every coach in the NFL makes mistakes now and then. One coaching decision shouldnt cost you a game though. IF we could have run the ball effectively throughout the game we wouldnt be having this conversation. Fact is,,,, Buffalo is ALWAYS in a tight game because we cant pull away from teams for one reason or another. Usually related to running and stopping the run. Therefore the one decision the coach makes that goes wrong during the game is magnified.

there was a series of bad calls in that dallas game. i still cant believe we threw the ball twice with 1st and 10 from dallas 13 with 6:30 left in game when 3 points was on silver platter. from there bad luck combined with our sit back mentality led to what happened after the onside.

moreso its a pattern. colts last year chargers last year hell we almost blew the texans game the jags game then denver and cowboys games this year. its a pattern at this point. these coaches seeem to get cute at wrong times or soften at wrong times. also the fact we treat 7 point leads like we are up 35 its a bit out of hand

scott51
10-12-2007, 09:51 AM
If this was the first game where the coaches made some mistakes I would say, well, no one is perfect. They have been making bone-headed decisions all season long! It started against Denver. We had the lead in the fourth quarter and the coaches called a long, deep pass to Evans (with JP) and it fell incomplete, stopping the clock. Denver got the ball back, and well, you know the rest of the story. Now, if the coaches call a run play instead of the pass then guess what, we eat up clock or Denver uses their timeout. Either way, seconds pass and that final field goal doesn't have time to take place! Fast forward to Monday night and with a chance to simply run and get a field goal, we pass and get intercepted. If we took the field goal guess what, 27-25. The coaches have shown that they CANNOT coach a team to a win. I say its time to clean house!

Mahdi
10-12-2007, 10:20 AM
there was a series of bad calls in that dallas game. i still cant believe we threw the ball twice with 1st and 10 from dallas 13 with 6:30 left in game when 3 points was on silver platter. from there bad luck combined with our sit back mentality led to what happened after the onside.

moreso its a pattern. colts last year chargers last year hell we almost blew the texans game the jags game then denver and cowboys games this year. its a pattern at this point. these coaches seeem to get cute at wrong times or soften at wrong times. also the fact we treat 7 point leads like we are up 35 its a bit out of hand
If the Bills had called 3 runs in a row and got stuffed like they had all game so many ppl on this board would be saying that we were playing scared, that Trent was playing well and we should have attacked etc etc. They went for the win and it backfired. Thats the nature of the game.

Meathead
10-12-2007, 10:46 AM
dont believe thats true

playing for the fg at that place/time was the right thing to do. if you can score a td thats a bonus but the three there completely changes the playcalling for dallas the rest of the way. from there they have to score a fg a td and a 2pt. the reward for taking the risk of putting the ball in the air is simply not big enough. it was a boneheaded decision and always will be

just like going for the long one on fourth at the pats two in ne last year. very similar logic. he took too big of a gamble at the wrong time. its the pattern of an habitual loser, not just one unlucky play

good at most things. very good at some very important things. very bad at critical times that lose games. a terminal flaw

jamze132
10-13-2007, 01:09 AM
I think it's safe to say that Jauron isn't the smartest knife in the drawer. Ivy league or not, the guy consistently makes the wrong football decisions.

Meathead
10-13-2007, 05:06 AM
being smart has nothing to do with making good decisions under pressure

who knows, einstein might call a downfield pass with a pressure packed monday night game on the line

bill parcells isnt going to win any mensa contests but i doubt hed call a bonehead play like that in a similiar situation

Jan Reimers
10-13-2007, 06:17 AM
If this was the first game where the coaches made some mistakes I would say, well, no one is perfect. They have been making bone-headed decisions all season long! It started against Denver. We had the lead in the fourth quarter and the coaches called a long, deep pass to Evans (with JP) and it fell incomplete, stopping the clock. Denver got the ball back, and well, you know the rest of the story. Now, if the coaches call a run play instead of the pass then guess what, we eat up clock or Denver uses their timeout. Either way, seconds pass and that final field goal doesn't have time to take place! Fast forward to Monday night and with a chance to simply run and get a field goal, we pass and get intercepted. If we took the field goal guess what, 27-25. The coaches have shown that they CANNOT coach a team to a win. I say its time to clean house!
Great post. You are absolutely right. We play a mind-numbingly conservative offense until we finally need it, then throw it up for grabs at the God-awful worst times.

And against Pittsburgh and New England - who are obviously much better than us - we crawl into an offensive cocoon and give ourselves no chance whatsoever.

TacklingDummy
10-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Personally I think it more lack of talent on the field then it is coaching.

Would Bill Belichick, Parcells, Lombardi, Levy...etc...make that much of a difference if they were coach of this team?

acehole
10-13-2007, 08:40 AM
Thank you Jamie....

I thought for a second this board turned into twobillsdrive board full of 12 year old.gOOD POST!

djjimkelly
10-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Personally I think it more lack of talent on the field then it is coaching.

Would Bill Belichick, Parcells, Lombardi, Levy...etc...make that much of a difference if they were coach of this team?

yeah i actually think it would be a huge difference. i cant think of a game where this coaching staff has been the difference and its been 21 games now

PECKERWOOD
10-13-2007, 09:53 AM
I think it does partially fall on Jauron.. Who knows? Maybe he told Fewell to play prevent in the final moments of the game, we will never know for certain. I did like Jauron's Shanahan like time out that gave the Bills a chance to win the game near the end, that was a great coaching decision. Out of all of the coaches, I'm annoyed with Fairchild the most, he has done nothing with our offense since he has been here and once again it's up to our defense to carry this team. I do like Fewell, I think he is an up and coming DC in this league and we oughta hold on to him. As for Jauron, the jury is still out on this guy. If he does not bring in another coach to lead our offense then we oughta **** can him.

Elminster
10-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Fairchild is indefensible. Let's see what we have....
-A QB with a strong arm and excellent mobility
-A fast, elusive, and strong back with great hands
-Speedy receivers who can create seperation straight off the line
-A gelling and capable offensive line
You would think we would do the following:
-Pound the ball with Lynch, doing our best to give him space to make guys miss
-Run quick routes that take advantage of our receiver's speed and initial burst
-Call plays that roll JP out and let him move around from time-to-time, to keep defenses off-balance
-Call a couple of deep throws to keep the defense honest and utilize his excellent deep ball
-Use routes that utilize his arm strength, leaving defensive backs helpless as bullets blitz straight by them
-Use plenty of play-action
-Designed screens to Lynch

Instead, we do the following:
-Run Lynch up the middle, preferable towards the right side(our weaker side, need I remind you)
-Keep JP in the pocket AT ALL COSTS!!!!
-Run one play-action every four weeks or so
-Run "screens" to WRs....without the screen
-Throw a bomb only on 3rd&X with a lead late in the game
-Take Lynch off on passing downs
-Take Lynch off in key rushing situations
-Send out as few wide receivers as possible because Peerless Price, Josh Reed, and Roscoe Parrish are future HOFers and would be starting on any other teams /sarcasm

DJ isn't much better. Fewell...I like Fewell. He even apologized for royally screwing up last Monday. Which tells me he realizes he screwed up(DJ and Fairchild don't seem to understand the concept of "blame"). And that "Creep" thing seemed like...well, Bellicheat stuff! In concept and effectiveness. I'd be willing to keep him if he continues to progress.

PECKERWOOD
10-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Fairchild is indefensible. Let's see what we have....
-A QB with a strong arm and excellent mobility
-A fast, elusive, and strong back with great hands
-Speedy receivers who can create seperation straight off the line
-A gelling and capable offensive line
You would think we would do the following:
-Pound the ball with Lynch, doing our best to give him space to make guys miss
-Run quick routes that take advantage of our receiver's speed and initial burst
-Call plays that roll JP out and let him move around from time-to-time, to keep defenses off-balance
-Call a couple of deep throws to keep the defense honest and utilize his excellent deep ball
-Use routes that utilize his arm strength, leaving defensive backs helpless as bullets blitz straight by them
-Use plenty of play-action
-Designed screens to Lynch

Instead, we do the following:
-Run Lynch up the middle, preferable towards the right side(our weaker side, need I remind you)
-Keep JP in the pocket AT ALL COSTS!!!!
-Run one play-action every four weeks or so
-Run "screens" to WRs....without the screen
-Throw a bomb only on 3rd&X with a lead late in the game
-Take Lynch off on passing downs
-Take Lynch off in key rushing situations
-Send out as few wide receivers as possible because Peerless Price, Josh Reed, and Roscoe Parrish are future HOFers and would be starting on any other teams /sarcasm

DJ isn't much better. Fewell...I like Fewell. He even apologized for royally screwing up last Monday. Which tells me he realizes he screwed up(DJ and Fairchild don't seem to understand the concept of "blame"). And that "Creep" thing seemed like...well, Bellicheat stuff! In concept and effectiveness. I'd be willing to keep him if he continues to progress.

:bf1:

I like the last part about Fewell as well. I respect a man who mans up to his mistakes, that type of attitude is contagious.

TacklingDummy
10-13-2007, 10:40 AM
yeah i actually think it would be a huge difference. i cant think of a game where this coaching staff has been the difference and its been 21 games now

It's probably both.

Mitchy moo
10-13-2007, 10:42 AM
It's probably both.

Agreed.:respect:

Jan Reimers
10-13-2007, 01:38 PM
I agree. This coaching staff - with its bizarre play calling and horrible game management - has already cost us the Denver and Dallas games. Parcells, Cowher and any number of other coaches with a clue would not have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.