• The Answer
    The Plagiarist
    • Mar 2007

Article: Greer turning the corner

Greer turning the corner

Undrafted playmaker proving scouts wrong

By Bucky Gleason NEWS SPORTS REPORTER
    Updated: 10/12/07 7:07 AM

You wonder how it happens with so many scouts from 32 teams scouring so many college games, breaking down so much video, poring over all things measurable. Heck, prospective draft picks strip down to their underwear during the NFL Combine, confirming there’s no such thing as too much information.

How does quarterback Tom Brady sit around until the sixth round? It’s where New England took him in the 2000 draft, 199th overall, which made the Patriots geniuses for finding him so late and dummies for waiting so long. Brady’s greatest quality, his off-the-charts football smarts, couldn’t be measured.

It’s what the Buffalo Bills could be finding in Jabari Greer. Granted, he’s a long way from becoming the Tom Brady of cornerbacks. But based on his performance over the past two weeks and beyond, you can’t help but wonder how he slipped through the 2004 draft without a single team recognizing his potential. Simply, the numbers often lie.

“Everybody has a theory of what is supposed to be, but you never know,” receiver Lee Evans said. “There’s more to it. There’s more than size and speed. You have to be able to play. It’s hard to measure. You have to see how he is as a player.”

Forget that Greer was a three-year starter at the University of Tennessee. It didn’t much matter when scouts looked at his 5-foot-11, 169-pound frame and figured he was too slight to be an effective NFL cornerback. He was ignored by all 32 teams during the draft and eventually signed a freeagent contract with the Bills.

“My size was a big factor for me,” Greer said. “My senior year wasn’t as productive as I wanted it to be. Fortunately, I was blessed to get [into the league]. A lot of people say that’s the hardest part, getting in. But I always felt like I could play.”...............

~The Answer
  • M
    • Aug 2006

Re: Article: Greer turning the corner

Let's hope he's a starter against Baltimore.
    Let's Go Bills ... B B B B B B Bills!

Comment

• Lexwhat
      • Feb 2005

Greer has been THE surprise player of the year for this team. He absolutely shut down TO.

If he continues to play like this the rest of the year, he will be our official #1 CB and we will need to lock him up long term...

Comment

• Oaf
        Do you read what you write?
        • Jun 2007

Why did it take 3 years and 2 major injuries to get Greer on the field?

The two years previous, he's always been a preseason/training camp making picks left and right. But for some reason once the season starts, including this one, the coaches stick him right back on Special Teams and Dime Back.

Oh, Youboty was a 3rd round pick, oh Webster was our biggest defensive FA this year. Even though Greer clearly outplayed both in the preseason games, he still was stuck behind them. Where would we be at if the coaches were literally not FORCED to put him on the field?
        Not only that, he has also emerged as a leader on defense as well, something we sorely need.

I chalk it up as a major oversight on the coaches end not to play the best players they've got. He needs a new contract IMO.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

I'll take Champ Bailey. I'm kind of tired of hearing about our great finds when our record is 1-4.

Comment

• raphael120
            Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
            I'll take Champ Bailey. I'm kind of tired of hearing about our great finds when our record is 1-4.
            Greer isn't the reason we're 1-4.

If Greer keeps it up, you'll forget who the hell Nate Clements was by the end of the year. I think Greer has had more big plays this year than Clements thus far.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by raphael120

If Greer keeps it up, you'll forget who the hell Nate Clements was by the end of the year. I think Greer has had more big plays this year than Clements thus far.
              I'm not blaming Greer for us being 1-4. I am saying that I'm tired of reading "feel good" articles when the team is a perrenial loser.

Greer played great and we still lost the game.

Comment

• TaylorThePirate
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by raphael120

i already forgot who nate was

Comment

• camelcowboy
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                  I'm not blaming Greer for us being 1-4. I am saying that I'm tired of reading "feel good" articles when the team is a perrenial loser.

Greer played great and we still lost the game.
                  maybe if greer was on the onsides kick team we'd be talking about a win.

Comment

Working...
                  X