PDA

View Full Version : Has the NFL ever had a currently successful franchise move?

Mitchy moo
10-13-2007, 10:21 PM
When a team has left, that team usually sucks standings wise. In my memory any successful franchise has stayed put even through death, BK or sales.

It's makes the Bills having a higher level of success soon all the more important to keeping the team in Buffalo.

Coach Sal
10-13-2007, 11:05 PM
The Oakland Raiders won the SB in the 1980 season and moved to L.A. following the 1981 season (they were 7-9 in 1981).

They moved back to Oakland after the 1994 season in which they were 9-7.....and 10-6 the year before (1993).

LtFinFan66
10-13-2007, 11:21 PM
Do you mean the following year or just in general??

Clearly the Colts, Rams, and Ravens have had success

MikeInRoch
10-14-2007, 12:15 AM
If the Bills leave, then I hope they suck for all eternity.

SABURZFAN
10-14-2007, 01:28 AM
If the Bills leave, then I hope they suck for all eternity.

it can't be any worse than the last 47 years.

jamze132
10-14-2007, 04:54 AM
So why don't we stop talking about the Bills leaving?

Johnny Bugmenot
10-14-2007, 08:01 AM
What does it matter? The Bills are far from "currently successful" anyway.

MikeInRoch
10-14-2007, 08:07 AM
it can't be any worse than the last 47 years.

Sure, it can.

Jan Reimers
10-14-2007, 11:38 AM
When a team has left, that team usually sucks standings wise. In my memory any successful franchise has stayed put even through death, BK or sales.

It's makes the Bills having a higher level of success soon all the more important to keeping the team in Buffalo.
Why would standings have anything to do with a team's leaving town? The franchise still has the same players, so I don't see how a new city helps with on-field success.

Some moves - Colts and Browns, for instance - were the result of greedy owners looking for - or being promised - a bigger pot of gold. Both teams had loyal fan bases and were filling up their stadiums every game.

Others, like the Rams, Oilers and Chicago Cardinals, were due to a lack of support in their cities.

Oakland-L.A.-Oakland was due to Al Davis being a psychotic megalomaniac.

I think if the Bills move, it will be due to Ralph's unwillingness to make local-sale arrangements before he passes, and new ownership wanting a bigger market. It will be due neither to on-field success (or failure) or lack of fan support.

churchinski
10-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Why would standings have anything to do with a team's leaving town?
It doesn't have anything at all to do with it

This is just another case of someone dreaming something up that they want to believe.

They want to believe if the Bills start to win they can't move.

It makes no sense just like most of the other stuff you read here.