Has the NFL ever had a currently successful franchise move?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Has the NFL ever had a currently successful franchise move?

When a team has left, that team usually sucks standings wise. In my memory any successful franchise has stayed put even through death, BK or sales.

It's makes the Bills having a higher level of success soon all the more important to keeping the team in Buffalo.
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Re: Has the NFL ever had a currently successful franchise move?

The Oakland Raiders won the SB in the 1980 season and moved to L.A. following the 1981 season (they were 7-9 in 1981).

They moved back to Oakland after the 1994 season in which they were 9-7.....and 10-6 the year before (1993).
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• LtFinFan66
      • Mar 2005

Do you mean the following year or just in general??

Clearly the Colts, Rams, and Ravens have had success

Comment

• MikeInRoch
        • Sep 2003

If the Bills leave, then I hope they suck for all eternity.
        "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• SABURZFAN
          short bus extraordinaire
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MikeInRoch
          If the Bills leave, then I hope they suck for all eternity.

it can't be any worse than the last 47 years.
          Originally posted by yordad
          Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• jamze132
            • Jun 2003

So why don't we stop talking about the Bills leaving?

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
              Will not tolerate vandalism.
              • Apr 2006

What does it matter? The Bills are far from "currently successful" anyway.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
                it can't be any worse than the last 47 years.
                Sure, it can.
                "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by Skooby
                  When a team has left, that team usually sucks standings wise. In my memory any successful franchise has stayed put even through death, BK or sales.

It's makes the Bills having a higher level of success soon all the more important to keeping the team in Buffalo.
                  Why would standings have anything to do with a team's leaving town? The franchise still has the same players, so I don't see how a new city helps with on-field success.

Some moves - Colts and Browns, for instance - were the result of greedy owners looking for - or being promised - a bigger pot of gold. Both teams had loyal fan bases and were filling up their stadiums every game.

Others, like the Rams, Oilers and Chicago Cardinals, were due to a lack of support in their cities.

Oakland-L.A.-Oakland was due to Al Davis being a psychotic megalomaniac.

I think if the Bills move, it will be due to Ralph's unwillingness to make local-sale arrangements before he passes, and new ownership wanting a bigger market. It will be due neither to on-field success (or failure) or lack of fan support.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• churchinski
                    Senior Zoner
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                    Why would standings have anything to do with a team's leaving town?
                    It doesn't have anything at all to do with it

This is just another case of someone dreaming something up that they want to believe.

They want to believe if the Bills start to win they can't move.

It makes no sense just like most of the other stuff you read here.

Comment

Working...
                    X