• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Toronto Owners Have Eyes on Bills

Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

We noted this week that Canadian Football League officials were talking about the possibility of an NFL team moving to Canada, and that at least one executive is concerned that the NFL moving up north would kill the CFL.

Now comes word from the Globe and Mail that David Cynamon and Howard Sokolowski, owners of the Toronto Argonauts, have
    outlined a strategy of actively pursuing any NFL franchise that might be a candidate for relocation to Toronto. Cynamon and Sokolowski would apparently view that as a step toward a future in which the NFL and the CFL coexist peacefully in Canada.

The report continues:
    While the NFL has no current plans for expansion, several existing teams are believed to be potential candidates for relocation, including the Buffalo Bills, Minnesota Vikings, Jacksonville Jaguars and New Orleans Saints.

Of those franchises, the Bills seem most likely to move in the short term, given that 89-year-old owner Ralph Wilson has publicly declared the team will be sold to the highest bidder after his death and that the Buffalo market might be too small to satisfy the revenue demands of an NFL franchise purchased for current value.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • shelby
    The Vanilla *****
    • Jul 2002

Re: Toronto Owners Have Eyes on Bills

Comment

• Stewie
      Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
      • Aug 2002

Considering this article, I think Canada needs to jump to the top of the "country's to invade" list.
      Originally posted by Topdog
      Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
      Originally posted by mercyrule
      I love Weiner.
      Originally posted by mercyrule
      also cheese

Comment

• jdbillsfan
        • Oct 2002

What if Jacksonville, Minnesota or New Orleans moved to Toronto? How would that affect the Bills?

Do we have many fans in Toronto that we would lose? I just don't see a Toronto team being successful.

Comment

• SABuffalo786
          • Feb 2003

The NFL needs small markets like Buffalo and Minny and NO just like they need big ones like Philly and Dallass.

Keep it up you greedy ****ing ****s. Pretty soon all football will be is a glorified horse race. Bunch of rich *******s in the stands just there to be seen.
          "Do me a favor, say a prayer for brother Timmy. And tip a cold one. Go Bills." - Tom Brokaw

We are the Rockpile
          We are the Rockpile
          We are the Rockpile
          BUFF-A-LO

Comment

• Nighthawk
            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
            • Jul 2002

I don't know. I just don't think an NFL franchise would survive in Canada.

Comment

• Nighthawk
              Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SABuffalo786
              The NFL needs small markets like Buffalo and Minny and NO just like they need big ones like Philly and Dallass.

Keep it up you greedy ****ing ****s. Pretty soon all football will be is a glorified horse race. Bunch of rich *******s in the stands just there to be seen.
              I agree, but when you have a loser owner like Wilson constantly harping on the fact that he isn't making enough money, it kind of puts a bullseye on Buffalo. Like I've said all along, Wilson could give a s**t about Buffalo and it's fans. All he cares about is his pocket book.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                short bus extraordinaire
                • Jul 2002

with the Canadian dollar being at a high,i would be surprised if the slumlord sells.
                Originally posted by yordad
                Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• AG75
                  My buns are weiner friendly
                  • Oct 2002

You know what? Eff them! Eff all of them!

Aimee

Comment

• churchinski
                    Senior Zoner
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by jdbillsfan
                    What if Jacksonville, Minnesota or New Orleans moved to Toronto? How would that affect the Bills?

Do we have many fans in Toronto that we would lose? I just don't see a Toronto team being successful.
                    I think you might have missed the fact that the concern is that the BILLS will move to Toronto.

Comment

• G. Host
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2002

From the Globe and Mail:

But if the NFL were to arrive in Toronto with a CFL connection and with the promise that it might actually help the Argonauts (by forcing prospective season-ticket holders to also purchase Argos season tickets, for example) it might be an easier sell with the Canadian public and legislators.
                      This shows the Canadian press is being unrealstic on this matter and are stirring up readers to drive up newspaper sales.

Personally I think a franchise other than Bills would hurt more base in Southern Ontario for not a lot of fans come from Toronto.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                        • Jul 2002

We have already discussed this topic at length last week. If it happens I again hope all involved Die. I would also hope the NFL somehow goes out of business.

Comment

• churchinski
                          Senior Zoner
                          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                          We have already discussed this topic at length last week. If it happens I again hope all involved Die. I would also hope the NFL somehow goes out of business.
                          if it happens it happens nothing to lose sleep over

Comment

• plundar
                            • Mar 2006

Every time I read an article like this I want to ralph on Ralph Wilson. What a way to thank the fans for all the support and for making his pockets fat.

Comment

• imbondz
                              Democrats are people too
                              • Jan 2003

i'll be done with the NFL if it happens
                              My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

Working...
                              X