PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Owners Have Eyes on Bills

YardRat
10-14-2007, 05:31 AM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/13/nfl-up-north-toronto-owners-have-eyes-on-bills-jaguars-viking/

We noted this week that Canadian Football League officials were talking about the possibility of an NFL team moving to Canada, and that at least one executive is concerned that the NFL moving up north would kill the CFL (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/07/claim-nfl-in-toronto-would-kill-the-cfl/).

Now comes word from the Globe and Mail that David Cynamon and Howard Sokolowski, owners of the Toronto Argonauts, have outlined a strategy of actively pursuing any NFL franchise that might be a candidate for relocation to Toronto (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20071011.NFLTOTO11/TPStory/Sports/columnists). Cynamon and Sokolowski would apparently view that as a step toward a future in which the NFL and the CFL coexist peacefully in Canada.

The report continues:

While the NFL has no current plans for expansion, several existing teams are believed to be potential candidates for relocation, including the Buffalo Bills, Minnesota Vikings, Jacksonville Jaguars and New Orleans Saints.

Of those franchises, the Bills seem most likely to move in the short term, given that 89-year-old owner Ralph Wilson has publicly declared the team will be sold to the highest bidder after his death and that the Buffalo market might be too small to satisfy the revenue demands of an NFL franchise purchased for current value.

shelby
10-14-2007, 06:24 AM
:ill:

Stewie
10-14-2007, 06:37 AM
Considering this article, I think Canada needs to jump to the top of the "country's to invade" list.

jdbillsfan
10-14-2007, 09:52 AM
What if Jacksonville, Minnesota or New Orleans moved to Toronto? How would that affect the Bills?

Do we have many fans in Toronto that we would lose? I just don't see a Toronto team being successful.

SABuffalo786
10-14-2007, 10:35 AM
The NFL needs small markets like Buffalo and Minny and NO just like they need big ones like Philly and Dallass.

Keep it up you greedy ****ing ****s. Pretty soon all football will be is a glorified horse race. Bunch of rich *******s in the stands just there to be seen.

Nighthawk
10-14-2007, 11:10 AM
I don't know. I just don't think an NFL franchise would survive in Canada.

Nighthawk
10-14-2007, 11:12 AM
The NFL needs small markets like Buffalo and Minny and NO just like they need big ones like Philly and Dallass.

Keep it up you greedy ****ing ****s. Pretty soon all football will be is a glorified horse race. Bunch of rich *******s in the stands just there to be seen.

I agree, but when you have a loser owner like Wilson constantly harping on the fact that he isn't making enough money, it kind of puts a bullseye on Buffalo. Like I've said all along, Wilson could give a s**t about Buffalo and it's fans. All he cares about is his pocket book.

SABURZFAN
10-14-2007, 11:24 AM
with the Canadian dollar being at a high,i would be surprised if the slumlord sells.

AG75
10-14-2007, 01:06 PM
You know what? Eff them! Eff all of them!

:(

churchinski
10-14-2007, 01:18 PM
What if Jacksonville, Minnesota or New Orleans moved to Toronto? How would that affect the Bills?

Do we have many fans in Toronto that we would lose? I just don't see a Toronto team being successful.

I think you might have missed the fact that the concern is that the BILLS will move to Toronto.

G. Host
10-14-2007, 02:01 PM
From the Globe and Mail:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20071011.NFLTOTO11/TPStory/

But if the NFL were to arrive in Toronto with a CFL connection and with the promise that it might actually help the Argonauts (by forcing prospective season-ticket holders to also purchase Argos season tickets, for example) it might be an easier sell with the Canadian public and legislators.

This shows the Canadian press is being unrealstic on this matter and are stirring up readers to drive up newspaper sales.

Personally I think a franchise other than Bills would hurt more base in Southern Ontario for not a lot of fans come from Toronto.

THATHURMANATOR
10-14-2007, 02:58 PM
We have already discussed this topic at length last week. If it happens I again hope all involved Die. I would also hope the NFL somehow goes out of business.

churchinski
10-14-2007, 03:53 PM
We have already discussed this topic at length last week. If it happens I again hope all involved Die. I would also hope the NFL somehow goes out of business.
if it happens it happens nothing to lose sleep over

plundar
10-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Every time I read an article like this I want to ralph on Ralph Wilson. What a way to thank the fans for all the support and for making his pockets fat.

imbondz
10-14-2007, 07:43 PM
i'll be done with the NFL if it happens

HHURRICANE
10-14-2007, 07:47 PM
The Bills are here til at least 2010 which is when the lease is up. If Ralph can live to 95 (6 years), I think that Buffalo will have solidified them staying in the area.

2010 is an important time frame but we have at least 3 years. Enough for Trent to win us a Superbowl with Lynch being the MVP.

THATHURMANATOR
10-15-2007, 12:31 AM
if it happens it happens nothing to lose sleep over
Yeah nothing to lose sleep over..... :rolleyes:

Yeah only my favorite pastime in my life.... Sure I can fill it with something else if they do leave but don't tell me that I shouldn't worry about it....

THATHURMANATOR
10-15-2007, 12:32 AM
i'll be done with the NFL if it happens
As will I!

But Mark, Churchinski has told us it is nothing to worry about though...

THATHURMANATOR
10-15-2007, 12:34 AM
The only time I would ever set foot in an NFL stadium again would be if I put together a charter trip to Toronto filled with only angry Bills fans who would basically do anything in our power to ruin the game.

Who would be with me?

Mitchy moo
10-15-2007, 12:37 AM
The only time I would ever set foot in an NFL stadium again would be if I put together a charter trip to Toronto filled with only angry Bills fans who would basically do anything in our power to ruin the game.

Who would be with me?

I'll ride with you.

Michael82
10-15-2007, 12:59 AM

Who would be with me?
I'm with you!

Mitchy moo
10-15-2007, 01:02 AM
I'm with you!

1st round on Mikey!!!!!!

MikeNC
10-15-2007, 05:25 AM
Considering this article, I think Canada needs to jump to the top of the "country's to invade" list.

I think we need to declare Canada a natural forest of the US....

LtFinFan66
10-15-2007, 06:27 AM
1st round on Mikey!!!!!!More likely.....1st round IN Mikey

Don't Panic
10-15-2007, 07:37 AM
If, and only if, it came down to losing the team altogether, I could live with a 50/50 split between Buffalo and Toronto. The Buffalo area would have no problem selling out 4 games a year and the financing situation might be resolved with a Buffalo group only having to come up with half the money. I'd rather that than nothing at all. GB used to play four in Milwaukee back in the day... its not a completely foreign concept. We'd probably need a name change, though. How about the Niagara Bills? OK, maybe not....