X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xXSpIkes5IXx
    • Mar 2006

Trent "checkdown" Edwards

Does anyone else notice that Trent throws to his checkdown recievers a TON? Its been my prevailing analysis of him ever since training camp.

Often times, taking whats given to you, and checking down is a saavy move, you see the best QB's check down frequently. However, Edwards has not impressed me in these 2 starts with his ability to make tough throws and plays down the field. He stays very composed in the pocket, and his short to midrange game is excellent, however based on his very limited playing time, he seems to lack the "big play" ability that is so crucial in the NFL.

That being said, i think thats something that may come with time, if we decide to give Trent the ball over JP. However JP seems to have that big play potential which makes it even more maddening when you seem make stupid mistakes out there, because i think everyone on this board will agree he has big play potential and all the physical tools to be a great quarterback in this league, however will he ever get it upstairs?

I hope so, and soon.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Trent "checkdown" Edwards

I like the kid and hope more playing time will rid him of the usual bad habits that inexperience shows.

Checkdown passes and staring down the receivers is common with youth. The one wild card is the Coaching he receives. They have to put him into the proper position to succeed by giving him a good gameplan.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Philagape
      WIN NOW
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by xXSpIkes5IXx
      Does anyone else notice that Trent throws to his checkdown recievers a TON?
      No, no one else here has mentioned it at all.
      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• HHURRICANE
        • Mar 2005

After his second start in the league I have noticed that he is.....a rookie. Who's playing extremely well!!!!

Comment

• Ickybaluky
          • Jul 2003

It's called being patient and not forcing the ball downfield into coverage or holding it too long and taking the sack.

The funny thing is you used to hear this same thing all the time back in 2001 when people were arguing Brady-vs-Bledsoe.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
            Unreachable Douche
            • Jul 2002

Has anyone noticed that neither Trent or Losman have completed a pass over 20 yards this year?

Comment

• Kerr
              Hall of Fame Zoner
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
              Has anyone noticed that neither Trent or Losman have completed a pass over 20 yards this year?
              que? According to this he has.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Kerr

With the ball being in the air 20 yards he hasn't. That 27 completion was on a ball thrown 10-20 yards and the receiver running the extra 7+yards.

Comment

I know that Edwards completed only one pass whereby the receiver actually caught the ball beyond 10 yards from the line of scrimmage in the last game. That was to Parrish for 14 I believe, at the point of the catch.

The fact that Edwards is getting sacked at a rate of 3 times per games with such quick passes says little for our OL.

On the flip side, that's what Losman seems to struggle with. If you could merge Losman and Edwards, right now assuming that Edwards will improve in the deep(er) game, you'd have one hell of a QB just like sticking Flutie's head on Johnson's body would have given us one too.

The question is, is Edwards lack of going downfield his own choosing? Or are the coaches merely allowing him to get his feet wet first before asking too much?

Discuss. LOL

Comment

• Kerr
                    Hall of Fame Zoner
                    • Feb 2005

With the ball being in the air 20 yards he hasn't. That 27 completion was on a ball thrown 10-20 yards and the receiver running the extra 7+yards.

Now you're just nitpicking.

Comment

• Kerr
                      Hall of Fame Zoner
                      • Feb 2005

Edwards can complete a deeper pass if he wanted to. The fact is the coaches likely want him to play more conservative, plus they limit his opportunities for deep throw with quick step drops. Once they allow it, you'd see more deep passes.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Wys Guy
                        I know that Edwards completed only one pass whereby the receiver actually caught the ball beyond 10 yards from the line of scrimmage in the last game. That was to Parrish for 14 I believe, at the point of the catch.

The fact that Edwards is getting sacked at a rate of 3 times per games with such quick passes says little for our OL.

On the flip side, that's what Losman seems to struggle with. If you could merge Losman and Edwards, right now assuming that Edwards will improve in the deep(er) game, you'd have one hell of a QB just like sticking Flutie's head on Johnson's body would have given us one too.

The question is, is Edwards lack of going downfield his own choosing? Or are the coaches merely allowing him to get his feet wet first before asking too much?

Discuss. LOL
                        according to Edwards' admission and Fairchild, the call for deep balls were called but Edwards decided to go short. Not saying they were wrong decisions (except fot the INT obviously) but he's obviously not confident with taking chances deep. That'll change once he gets more comfortable with his wrs. He only needs to connect once to get over the hump.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                          Unreachable Douche
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Kerr
                          Now you're just nitpicking.
                          Not really.

In last years Jets game Parrish took a 5 yard pass from Losman and turned it into a 51 yard Touchdown.

(14:14) (Shotgun) J.Losman pass short middle to R.Parrish for 51 yards, TOUCHDOWN [V.Hobson]. Caught at NYJ 41

In last years Houston game Evans took 2 passes that went around 30 yards in the air for 83 yard touchdowns.

Comment

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                            according to Edwards' admission and Fairchild, the call for deep balls were called but Edwards decided to go short. Not saying they were wrong decisions (except fot the INT obviously) but he's obviously not confident with taking chances deep. That'll change once he gets more comfortable with his wrs. He only needs to connect once to get over the hump.
                            Thud! That's the sound of me hitting the floor after reading a good football post from you just!!

I agree in fact. Nothing wrong with that however either. It's not as if we're competing for the playoffs this year. I'll stop having said that.

We'll see what happens with that moving forward. But suffice it to say that while the short game is what butters the bread of a QBs success, QBs do need to at least be able to heave one accurately for 50 yards at least on the fly in order to draw heat off of the short game and get the D to backoff when necessary.

So we'll give Edwards another handful of games before expecting more. My guess is that the coaches will stick Losman in there for the Ravens game knowing that this O isn't going to do anything against the Ravens, then in typical Bills' apples-to-oranges fashion start Edwards against the Jets to show how much better he is and then have their guy starting the rest of the way.

Not saying that would be a bad decision anyway, as frankly, how long are we supposed to give Losman to master what should be automatic, namely a short high-percentage passing game which is low-percentage for him. The logic would be typical Bills however.

I'm curious to see how Edwards develops.

Comment

• Philagape
                              WIN NOW
                              • Jul 2002

If I had the Bills' receivers, I wouldn't be confident throwing downfield either.
                              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

Working...
                              X