PDA

View Full Version : pennington and Losman

trapezeus
10-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Again, for the record, i'm not anti-JP and i've always thought pennington didn't have enough Arm Strength. I'm just making an observation.

It's funny how Jet fans have turned on Pennington and are looking for him to get the boot. He's gone to a couple playoff rounds in his years, but they are asking for his head. On the other hand, JP hasn't done much (albeit to coaching changes, poor play calling, poor execution, or all ove the above), but our fan base is willing to stick with him. And he's done nothing.

Are we so inexperienced at winning, that we are light years behind even Jet fans? Please say it isn't so.

THATHURMANATOR
10-15-2007, 10:32 AM
"Are we so inexperienced at winning, that we are light years behind even Jet fans? Please say it isn't so."

What does this even mean?

Wraith
10-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Interesting "logic."

mybills
10-15-2007, 10:37 AM
:rofl:

trapezeus
10-15-2007, 10:40 AM
just that we are comfortable debating over whether a guy who hasn't shown us any ability to get the job done over 4 years. yet there are teams who have gone to the playoffs recently, and think their current QB isn't going to get them far enough. so they want him gone. I think it's the right move for the jets. Pennington was lucky earlier in his career and he can't throw to the sidelines.

I honestly think the QB Controversey for many bills fans would be clearer if you saw this from a different team. Like if carolina was going through the JP/Edwards debate, most of us with no doubt would side with Edwards. Yet because it's our team, we just don't know. JP is a good guy, but he isn't getting us anywhere. Who knows if Edwards can, but he seems to keep our defense on the sidelines a little longer. And the D, with the exception of the Pats game,has played really well. they just have the misfortune of playing the majority of the game. And in the last two games, they were pretty sharp when given time on the sidelines. Even if edwards isn't the next great thing, he is making winning more possible for the team.

This season isn't completely over for the Bills yet, and Edwards seems to give us the best chance to get back in it.

mybills
10-15-2007, 10:42 AM
a guy who hasn't shown us any ability to get the job done over 4 years

It's hard for any QB to get anything done when they're out for the season with an injury.

Wraith
10-15-2007, 10:44 AM
Most non-Bills fans I know recognize that Losman had a very good year last year and that that qualifies as "ability to get the job done."

JJamezz
10-15-2007, 10:50 AM

It's hard for any QB to get anything done when they're out for the season with an injury.

Most non-Bills fans I know recognize that Losman had a very good year last year and that that qualifies as "ability to get the job done."

It all evens out.. Losman did not have a 'good year'.. he had a good 7-8 games.

mybills
10-15-2007, 10:52 AM
I think if you're gonna rag on a guy's abilities, you should get the facts straight. :;

BlackMetalNinja
10-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Somebody should make a hybrid QB... Pennington's QB brain and ability to read D's combined with Losman's arm! UNSTOPPABLE!!!!

Wraith
10-15-2007, 11:01 AM
It all evens out.. Losman did not have a 'good year'.. he had a good 7-8 games.

A common misconception but not true.

Losman, 2006, Games 1-8:

130/212 (61.3%), 1415 YDS (10.88 YPC, 6.68 YPA), 7 TD (3.3%), 6 INT (2.8%), 26 SACKS (10.9%), 80.2 RATING

Losman, 2006, Games 9-16:

138/217 (63.6%), 1636 YDS (11.85 YPC, 7.54 YPA), 12 TD (5.5%), 8 INT (3.6%), 21 SACKS (8.8%), 89.6 RATING

No question Losman was very good in the second half of the season but he was no slouch in the first half, either. The difference that effects peoples perceptions is of course the wins that started piling up in the second half of the season.

trapezeus
10-15-2007, 11:03 AM
at the beginning of the year i was willing to say JP played well in the end of the season, and he looked like he was going to put it together for a break out year this year. It hasn't happened. And if you look at his body of work, his 6-8 good games last year is hardly representative of where he's going.

The broncos and Steelers games were as bad as his first rookie games. The excuses have to stop at some point. i still think JP is a nice guy and has done the community a gigantic favor by stepping up. But in terms of being a top level QB or even mid level QB who can keep the chains moving, he has not done that. And he's not done that we we really needed it. When we actually had a chance to be something this year, it turned out to be talk. So, it's a little frustrating to hear people to ask for time, when we've given him plenty of time.

He played well at the end of 06 to earn the starting job this year. But he played poor enough in the first two games to have lost the job. Chances are, had he not gotten hurt during the pats game, he'd still not have started the jets game.

mybills
10-15-2007, 11:05 AM
What 4th year?

mchurchfie
10-15-2007, 11:24 AM

He's been out for two games, that hardly qualifies as a season.

mchurchfie
10-15-2007, 11:26 AM
He played well at the end of 06 to earn the starting job this year. But he played poor enough in the first two games to have lost the job. Chances are, had he not gotten hurt during the pats game, he'd still not have started the jets game.
What is really distressing is the fact that he regressed back to making a lot of the rookie mistakes he made in his first games. He should be light years ahead of that at this stage in his career.

acehole
10-15-2007, 12:51 PM

Not only this...how many losses were 3 pionts or less?...with misses field goals?

Oh yea forgot JP fualt.

Elminster
10-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Not only this...how many losses were 3 pionts or less?...with misses field goals?

Oh yea forgot JP fualt.
See, if TE was starting he would've won the Titans game by making the wind stop blowing and completing a TD pass to himself. He is the true child of Bruschi:father:

Oh, and I'll tell you why the Jets shouldn't have patience with Pennington. His arm is so weak that a defense can safely stack eight in the box. Pennington cannot throw far enough to make them back off, and recently he's also been making poor decisions with the football. Plus, they're not going anywhere anyways. Any of the Jets fan here agree?

jamze132
10-15-2007, 01:29 PM
What is really distressing is the fact that he regressed back to making a lot of the rookie mistakes he made in his first games. He should be light years ahead of that at this stage in his career.
Drew Brees looked like an ******* the first couple of weeks this year too. Tony Romo looked like a freshman at a Div I school last week to. So what?

The bottom line is that JP should be afforded the opportunity to start after the bye week. We did kind of get a glimpse of what he is capable the second half of last season so lets see if he can duplicate that and improve.

Indeed Edwards had the offense moving the ball and give the defense a rest but it's not like we lit up the scoreboard. You can also argue that Edwards benefited from the O-line "gelling", which JP hasn't had the chance to do yet.

I think it's still JPs job to lose and it starts this week at home against McGahee and the Ravens.

Jan Reimers
10-15-2007, 01:47 PM
The big difference between Losman and Pennington is that JP's receivers do not have to call for a fair catch on balls thown over 10 yards.

mybills
10-15-2007, 02:35 PM
He's been out for two games, that hardly qualifies as a season.
Not talking about this year. Talking about the 1st year - he got injured in preseason and didn't even play. Is that the 4th year?

justasportsfan
10-15-2007, 02:40 PM

what rookie mistakes? Is there anyone here who has better sources than the players themselves who called out the OC? I don't think we'd end up with only 3 pts. if the D gave JP as much chances as they did with Edwards.

mchurchfie
10-15-2007, 02:45 PM
what rookie mistakes? Is there anyone here who has better sources than the players themselves who called out the OC? I don't think we'd end up with only 3 pts. if the D gave JP as much chances as they did with Edwards.
You can start with his glaring indecisiveness. He has had two games, exactly as many chances as Edwards and he produced zip. Plus he had ALL last year and part of the year before.;)

mybills
10-15-2007, 02:51 PM
:tap:

trapezeus
10-15-2007, 02:57 PM
most everyone like JP as a person, so there is no reason to knock the guy on a personal level. and there is no reason to root for him on a personal level. We are all Bills fans, JP included. We want what is best for the team.

I'm not looking to edwards to be the saviour, but the kid moves the ball. he keeps the defense off the field, and seems to have the tools to overcome the stupidity of our OC. JP, when equiped with a poor game plan, performs poorly. He doesn't seem adept enough to manage a game properly.

The excuses end now, and we get into this season by winning some games right now.

mybills
10-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Not talking about this year. Talking about the 1st year - he got injured in preseason and didn't even play. Is that the 4th year?
:tap: