PDA

View Full Version : Why announce who will start at QB?

don137
10-16-2007, 09:05 AM
I saw where Buffalo will announce on Wednesday who their starting QB will be. Why do the Bills have to tip their hand and let on who is starting at QB? While many think Losman will start many others also thing Edwards will start. They are both different stye QBs. Why wouldn't the Bills brass pull a hat out of Bellichicks hat and not lead on who will start or play? This way Baltimore has to gameplan against both QBs style instead of one.

gr8slayer
10-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Have you been watching this team for the last decade? Why would the brass do anything that might help us have an edge on one of the other 31 teams?

OpIv37
10-16-2007, 09:24 AM
that's a good thought with one fatal flaw: neither QB has done enough to make Baltimore or any other team game plan around them. It's a paper tiger- there's the appearance of an advantage where one doesn't actually exist. Meanwhile, our coaches can hide their indecisiveness and general cluelessness under the guise of "creating an advantage."

PECKERWOOD
10-16-2007, 09:27 AM
I trust that Baltimore knew who our starting QB would be before any of us would know. Are you telling me that they don't have atleast one of their scouts watching our practices and checking out who is getting more reps with the 1st team? Just a thought.

TacklingDummy
10-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Maybe they will announce that Edwards will be starting but come Sunday the joke will be on the Ravens, JP will actually be starting.

Mahdi
10-16-2007, 09:36 AM
I trust that Baltimore knew who our starting QB would be before any of us would know. Are you telling me that they don't have atleast one of their scouts watching our practices and checking out who is getting more reps with the 1st team? Just a thought.
Arent practices closed?

PECKERWOOD
10-16-2007, 09:38 AM
Arent practices closed?

I think so, but even with that said I'm sure that Baltimore can read inbetween the lines. It would only take a little detective work to get a definitive answer.

EDS
10-16-2007, 09:38 AM
I think the only real reason to announce is to get rid of the issue to the extent it is a distraction for the team.

mybills
10-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Maybe they're just trying to look as gamey as other coaches.

Drev8
10-16-2007, 09:54 AM
that's a good thought with one fatal flaw: neither QB has done enough to make Baltimore or any other team game plan around them. It's a paper tiger- there's the appearance of an advantage where one doesn't actually exist. Meanwhile, our coaches can hide their indecisiveness and general cluelessness under the guise of "creating an advantage."

Okay. The coaches have made some bone-head calls during some of the games. I think we can all agree on that. But let me get this straight - Dick Jauron and staff are still deciding who will start and are using the tactic of "trying to create an advantage" as a way to cover their confusion? Seriously, give me a break!

These are NFL coaches - not little kids shaking in the corner afraid of what the big, bad fans out there think of them. They knew who they wanted to start last week. And as for creating an advantage by keeping Baltimore guessing, well, we need all the help we can get! And they do have different styles of play. If they didn't, what would these endless debates about "throwing the long ball" and "athleticism" versus "dink and dunk" and "short, accurate passes" be all about?

Whether there IS an advantage to keeping our cards close may or may not be true, but it's pretty obvious that's why the Bills are doing it.

OpIv37
10-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Okay. The coaches have made some bone-head calls during some of the games. I think we can all agree on that. But let me get this straight - Dick Jauron and staff are still deciding who will start and are using the tactic of "trying to create an advantage" as a way to cover their confusion? Seriously, give me a break!

These are NFL coaches - not little kids shaking in the corner afraid of what the big, bad fans out there think of them. They knew who they wanted to start last week. And as for creating an advantage by keeping Baltimore guessing, well, we need all the help we can get! And they do have different styles of play. If they didn't, what would these endless debates about "throwing the long ball" and "athleticism" versus "dink and dunk" and "short, accurate passes" be all about?

Whether there IS an advantage to keeping our cards close may or may not be true, but it's pretty obvious that's why the Bills are doing it.

Losman and Edwards have different skill sets, but the way they use them is virtually the same. Losman has superior mobility but never uses it, and neither have gone downfield with any success. It's all underneath stuff. So to sit there and think that which QB we play somehow matters to Baltimore is just ridiculous.

The fact is that if this coaching staff has a strength, it's game preparation and NOT decision-making. They don't know what they want to do and it's very convenient for them that there is a perceived advantage to not naming a starter.

Like it or not, this is a huge decision. If they go with Edwards and the team doesn't improve quickly, people will be wondering if they made the right decision and the QB controversy will be extended. If they go with JP and he sucks it up, then people will wonder why we're wasting our time and not trying to develop Edwards for the future. And our coaches have no idea how to deal with the pressure, let alone determine who gives us the best chance to win.

justasportsfan
10-16-2007, 10:09 AM
IF Edwards starts , dare him to throw deep. If Losman starts, take away his deep throws and make him dink and dunk . Contain Lynch regardless of who's the qb. What's there to gameplan?

I actually think that JAuron wants to give JP more time to heal before he makes a decision and not because they are indecisive. You don't rush an injury and you don't make stupid decisions without the facts. I don't have a problem with them taking their time to decide who starts. It's not like one qb is way ahead over the other.