PDA

View Full Version : NFL thinking about moving Superbowl to international site in future?

Mr. Pink
10-16-2007, 01:06 PM
I was just browsing the internet and found something that could be an interesting topic of discussion. I know this isn't exclusively Bills related, but it could affect us at some point.

http://fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/2190

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell touched on the possibility of the Super Bowl being played outside the United States. "We have talked in-house about that," he said. "It is truly an international event. London, Toronto, and Mexico City have been discussed. Because of time-difference issues, those are the logical ones. Nothing could happen before 2012."

What are your thoughts as a Bills fan, if say the Bills made the Superbowl in 2014 and the game was in London England?

Discuss.

mikemac2001
10-16-2007, 01:09 PM
What if it was in Toronto and the bills were in it

OpIv37
10-16-2007, 01:13 PM
What if it was in Toronto and the bills were in it

That would be great- it would practically be a home game.

Mr. Pink
10-16-2007, 01:14 PM
See my outlook on this is...initially people would be up in arms over it. While it would suck if the game was overseas and we were in it as fans, seeing it's gonna be tough for most people in this area to make the game in either London or Mexico City...it would work out well for the NFL. Obviously Toronto would be like a home game for us.

I'm sure there was a bunch of public outcry when the NFL title games and AFL title games were played in the home team city and then changed to a neutral site for the Superbowl.

It's just a natural progression of things in some aspects and kinda crappy in others.

Johnny Bugmenot
10-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Why don't we work on getting Super Bowls for the other teams that don't have domes and/or nice weather in the winter before we start handing them out to stadia in other countries?

Captain gameboy
10-16-2007, 02:21 PM
I simply cannot see this happening.
I have never been to a Super Bowl game, but I have been to Super Bowl cities during the week and on the day, many times.

I have also stayed in hotels that served as the media center for the week.

If there is one single game that is more an event, the SB is it. There are probably 75 corporate jets that show up.

There is no way that an out of US site generates that much money for the NFL.

Further, if they did it, Congress would be up in arms and probably threaten tinkering with anti trust benefits that the NFL enjoys.

There is simply too much money involved.

jamze132
10-16-2007, 02:21 PM
Personally I think it's a stupid idea. Football is an American sport that only America is good at. Europe and Mexico have soccer or, futball, if you will. The NFL tried Europe and the product sucked. It wasn't supported by fans or by citizens of the Union. As for Mexico, I don't know, it might work, but we won't know until we try it. Playing one game in Mexico doesn't constitute a trial either. Several seasons in Europe proved that American football is too complex for them.

Living in Europe for the last couple of years, I have a little more insight than the casual fan may have. You will have better luck bringing peace to the middle east before American football is popular over here. All they care about is soccer this and soccer that. Is it not the most boring sport to watch in the world? I would rather be flogged than watch that crap. For the record, I do enjoy playing it though. 90 minutes, at a minimum of a couple of guys kicking a ball around the midfield. WOW! Once in a while a ball will get to the backfielders and they will just kick it back to midfield. And if we are really lucky, a ball once in a blue moon will actually go into a net. Oh the excitment, I can hardly contain myself. Of course those soccer players are pure athletes, no denying that but how exciting is it to watch? Dr. Phil is more entertaining.

Philagape
10-16-2007, 02:22 PM
I'm sick of this international crap. USA! USA! :flag:

DynaPaul
10-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Dumbest... idea... EVER. I'm sorry but the Super Bowl is as American as Mom, apple pie, and the flag. It has no business being played in London and Mexico where the fan base isn't as big. Can you imagine trying to get tickets to THAT?

Scumbag College
10-16-2007, 05:36 PM
If they wanted to do it in London and still start the game at 6:20 PM EST (which the NFL and TV would want to do so they can get the most $$$$ for commercials) then they would have to start the game at what, 11:20 PM????

So the NFL wants to play their most important game in a country where the sport has almost no fans at an inconvienent time and I would think an extremely expensive ticket?????? You know, do they want to further alienate the fans or are they just so arrogant that they think that they can do anything and we'll keep buying their product?

LtFinFan66
10-16-2007, 06:40 PM
They would be screwing up if they did that

THATHURMANATOR
10-16-2007, 09:20 PM
What a gay Idea this would be.

G. Host
10-16-2007, 09:33 PM
It is all about the moola. They are hoping they can get a log more per ticket in a super-size stadium.

Since we can not get a Superbowl they ought to have each game sold to the highest bidder and have the money divided between the teams.

Michael82
10-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Dumbest Idea ever! I was in Detroit a few years ago for the Super Bowl weekend and the whole thing is an event. The city gets a ton of people coming there and spending money. That money flows into the local economy and helps it grow. Taking the Super Bowl and moving it to another country is just the NFL's way of outsourcing and we should fight it as hard as we can. :mad: :curse:

deepslant
10-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Never happen for a SB. Corporates won't go for it and the live event is nothing but a corporate party anyway.

They could make both the championship games go abroad, suffer equally, then return with jetlag but have two weeks to recover before the SB. This would be bad for season ticket holders but the NFL might not care if it's only about exposure.

Philagape
10-17-2007, 11:47 AM
The last thing the NFL cares about is fans.

deepslant
10-17-2007, 11:50 AM
The last thing the NFL cares about is fans.
True

fasteddie
10-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Has the NFL ever thought what the temps in London are in February? Low forties and usually rainy. Just what they want for a Super Bowl. Might as well have it in DC.

Mitchy moo
10-17-2007, 12:30 PM
http://www.billsaddiction.com/images/smilies/jerkit.gif

Night Train
10-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Just move it to Dubai and have the kickoff at 1am EST, making it a $300 PPV event.

This League is convinced the corporate $$ will always give them their billions, so they can do whatever they want.

They will soon lose me as a fan forever if they ask for another price increase.