PDA

View Full Version : Chris Chambers traded to the Chargers!

Devin
10-16-2007, 02:01 PM
The San Diego Chargers, looking for more offensive firepower, acquired wide receiver Chris Chambers from the Miami Dolphins, sources told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

Terms of the deal weren't immediately known, but the Dolphins and Chargers are expected to make an announcement before the NFL trading deadline closes at 4 p.m. ET.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3066210

Devin
10-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Who do the fins have at WR apart Ginn?

Mr. Pink
10-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Good move by the Fish.

After watching Sunday's game, Chambers is a shell of what he used to be. Lackidasical effort to the long ball constantly. Not that Lemon's throws were on the mark but some effort by Chambers and a couple of them coulda been caught.

Plus, after seeing what Ginn can do it makes sense to start plugging him in on the offense.

justasportsfan
10-16-2007, 02:04 PM
wow. Looks like they are ready to unleash Ginn in the O.

justasportsfan
10-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Who do the fins have at WR apart Ginn?
Booker.

Dangit, I would've wanted Chambers opposite Evans. Looks like we'll have to draft one next year.

Mr. Pink
10-16-2007, 02:09 PM
After watching Chambers lackluster effort vs Cleveland, I'd want no part of the guy.

They also have some guy named Haggan, who I had no clue who he was til Sunday. He looked better than Chambers btw even if the stats say otherwise. It seemed like every other play was a throw to Chambers who half assed every route, play, catch.

mybills
10-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Looks like one of our resident fin fans will have to find a new user name (again). :snicker:

circlethewagons
10-16-2007, 02:10 PM
wow, im a little surprised they moved him- but i think its a good move, depending on what they got for him- hes getting older and they used a top 10 pick on ginn, so why not unload some players and build for the future when ur not going anywhere this season.

justasportsfan
10-16-2007, 02:11 PM
After watching Chambers lackluster effort vs Cleveland, I'd want no part of the guy.

They also have some guy named Haggan, who I had no clue who he was til Sunday. He looked better than Chambers btw even if the stats say otherwise. It seemed like every other play was a throw to Chambers who half assed every route, play, catch.
Is it the players or is it the coaches? :idunno: Seems to me the entire team gave up on Cam especially their D. The vets don't seem to be buying into his system.

Jaybird
10-16-2007, 02:15 PM
he was making over 7 mill this season. hes never put together a full season, he doesnt always show up. i wouldnt want him.

streetkings01
10-16-2007, 02:17 PM
he was making over 7 mill this season. hes never put together a full season, he doesnt always show up. i wouldnt want him.I'll take him over Price, Reed, Aiken, and Parrish any day!

justasportsfan
10-16-2007, 02:19 PM
he was making over 7 mill this season. hes never put together a full season, he doesnt always show up. i wouldnt want him.

in his defense he's never had a decent qb throwing to him. He's not gonna stretch the ball as deep as Evans can but he's good for 20-30 yds deep with Parrish and Reed playing the slot.

Mr. Pink
10-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Is it the players or is it the coaches? :idunno: Seems to me the entire team gave up on Cam especially their D. The vets don't seem to be buying into his system.

Their D is just old and slow now...outside of Jason Taylor who played a good game i couldn't see anyone on that defense that actually looked good. I can't tell if that's system or just the players aren't what they used to be. I can't even tell you one guy in their secondary and I watched the whole game.

Offensively, Ronnie Brown had a good game and Cleo Lemon after a despicable first half came out on fire in the third quarter. Ted Ginn returned a kick for a TD, which was called back due to penalty and had a nice 30ish yard catch on a broken play that Lemon scrambled around to buy time. The bright spot for fin fans is that Ginn actually worked himself into a position back to the QB and across to the side of the field where Lemon was running to. A play like that shows that Ginn might actually "get it."

justasportsfan
10-16-2007, 02:20 PM
Their D is just old and slow now...outside of Jason Taylor who played a good game i couldn't see anyone on that defense that actually looked good. I can't tell if that's system or just the players aren't what they used to be. I can't even tell you one guy in their secondary and I watched the whole game.

Offensively, Ronnie Brown had a good game and Cleo Lemon after a despicable first half came out on fire in the third quarter. Ted Ginn returned a kick for a TD, which was called back due to penalty and had a nice 30ish yard catch on a broken play that Lemon scrambled around to buy time. The bright spot for fin fans is that Ginn actually worked himself into a position back to the QB and across to the side of the field where Lemon was running to. A play like that shows that Ginn might actually "get it."
you just don't drop from 4th to 30 in one offseason without a change in the system. I take it back, we did under Gray.

Oh well, who cares ? It's the fins.

Jaybird
10-16-2007, 02:22 PM
hes making 7 million dollars, u guys want that. forget about taking him over what we have. i would take my high school starting wr crew over what we have

DraftBoy
10-16-2007, 02:22 PM

Derek Hagan from Arz State, good possession WR who can really work the middle of the field and get open. Very underrated WR for them. Shocked they moved Chambers wonder what they got, but I would of take Chambers here.

justasportsfan
10-16-2007, 02:24 PM
but I would of take Chambers here.

I wonder if SD reworked his contract though. 7 million ? ralphy is cheap...so they say.

jamze132
10-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Can we get a reaction from a Dolphin fan?

IMO, I don't know if this is going to hurt or improve SD. It looks like they may have righted their ship out there this week and now they are bringing in someone who has a questionable work ethic. It may be counter-productive for the Chargers, and it may be a blessing in disguise. Only time will tell.

Mr. Pink
10-16-2007, 02:29 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7340346

Reportedly is for a 2nd round choice.

justasportsfan
10-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Chambers has 31 catches for 415 yards with no touchdowns this season.

Looks like he would've been headed towards his best season yet. that's better than anything we got and their O has been just as crappy.

Jaybird
10-16-2007, 02:42 PM
the fins will have plenty more player on the treade block during the offseason

Ickybaluky
10-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Chambers is capable of putting up big numbers, but he always seems to have drops at the worst possible times.

That said, WR is the Chargers weakest position on offense and Chambers should be re-energized being traded to a contender. He could provide a real boost, he is a very talented guy.

justasportsfan
10-16-2007, 02:51 PM
the fins will have plenty more player on the treade block during the offseason
their D will be rebuilt from bottom to the top. Not even sure if Capers will be retained based on the sudden drop in their D's performance.

OpIv37
10-16-2007, 02:52 PM
I just IM'd my friend who's a Dolphins fan and here's his reaction:

Op'sFriend: it's like a band of school kids has taken over my team
Op'sFriend: making random pointless decisions

lmao

SquishDaFish
10-16-2007, 03:09 PM
:roflmao:

Chargers have just become an immediate contender for SB. I think Chambers will be reborn going to that team. The Pats and Colts are going to have a 3rd team to battle now.

raphael120
10-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Well JP didn't get traded so...how Miami got a 2nd out of San Diego is beyond me...Chambers is good but he's like....40 years old

justasportsfan
10-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Well JP didn't get traded so...how Miami got a 2nd out of San Diego is beyond me...Chambers is good but he's like....40 years old29

Bill Brasky
10-16-2007, 03:14 PM
hahaha, how the hell can to dolphins even remotely suck?

they just got a SECOND ROUND PICK for a guy who is not even average anymore.

didn't they trade wes welker for a 3rd too? they get all these picks and continue to be worse than us. it's almost hilarious now.

they have no QB, no WR's, no OL, no defense...

Miami is to 2007 as Cincinnati is to 1993

Mr. Pink
10-16-2007, 03:15 PM
If they really got a 2nd round pick for an average at best 7 million dollar WR...they got a steal. IMO

raphael120
10-16-2007, 03:17 PM

Well he plays like he's 40.

jamze132
10-16-2007, 03:17 PM
I would definetley say that Miami got the better end of that deal.

justasportsfan
10-16-2007, 03:19 PM
hahaha, how the hell can to dolphins even remotely suck?

didn't they trade wes welker for a 3rd too? they get all these picks and continue to be worse than us. it's almost hilarious now.

Miami is to 2007 as Cincinnati is to 1993

he's tied for 18 as far as ranking wrs go in the NFL. That's more than average if you consider the team he's playing for with a lemon thowing him the rock. They are obviously stockpilling picks to rebuild in next years draft.

justasportsfan
10-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Well he plays like he's 40.
again , look at his stats considering he's playing a new system with a crappy team. He's one his way to having his best career performance.

Seventeen&0
10-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Can we get a reaction from a Dolphin fan?

IMO, I don't know if this is going to hurt or improve SD. It looks like they may have righted their ship out there this week and now they are bringing in someone who has a questionable work ethic. It may be counter-productive for the Chargers, and it may be a blessing in disguise. Only time will tell.

OK, here's a reaction from a Dolphin fan:

YYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS

Chambers is hot and cold, very inconsistant. Outside of two year ago, where he made the Pro Bowl, he's be very medium.

It looks like we got at least a 2nd for him, so it's a total rebuild for us.

If you look at our moves so far, we've let go of guys that were overpaid and under-performed...for 7mil per year, Chambers has totally under-performed.

Also, I'm excited to see if Ginn now steps in. He's had some time to get used to the NFL and I think he's going to end up being much better than Chambers.

We are 0-6. But, as a Dolphin fan, I'm encouraged that we now have a coach and front office that wants a change. We've been settling for "OK" a long time and change is welcome. We will have a LOT of cap space and a LOT of early draft picks in a draft that is supposed to be loaded. Tough times now, good times soon to come!

finfan34
10-16-2007, 04:07 PM
we are oficially rebuilding now, next move will be j taylor, thomas, and the rest of the overpaid defense, the good thing is that we will have lots of money to spend, and a lot of draft picks, this doesnt help us for this season, but this helps us for the future.

jamze132
10-16-2007, 04:27 PM
OK, here's a reaction from a Dolphin fan:

YYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS

Chambers is hot and cold, very inconsistant. Outside of two year ago, where he made the Pro Bowl, he's be very medium.

It looks like we got at least a 2nd for him, so it's a total rebuild for us.

If you look at our moves so far, we've let go of guys that were overpaid and under-performed...for 7mil per year, Chambers has totally under-performed.

Also, I'm excited to see if Ginn now steps in. He's had some time to get used to the NFL and I think he's going to end up being much better than Chambers.

We are 0-6. But, as a Dolphin fan, I'm encouraged that we now have a coach and front office that wants a change. We've been settling for "OK" a long time and change is welcome. We will have a LOT of cap space and a LOT of early draft picks in a draft that is supposed to be loaded. Tough times now, good times soon to come!
Good luck!

justasportsfan
10-16-2007, 04:28 PM
we are oficially rebuilding now, next move will be j taylor, thomas, and the rest of the overpaid defense, the good thing is that we will have lots of money to spend, and a lot of draft picks, this doesnt help us for this season, but this helps us for the future.

amazing how you mentioned JT and Zach when you should've mentioned Porter first.

jamze132
10-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Interesting, I have never heard anyone say Thomas and Taylor are overpaid. Do all Dolphin fans on here share your same point of view? I doubt it.

EDS
10-16-2007, 04:36 PM
hes making 7 million dollars, u guys want that. forget about taking him over what we have. i would take my high school starting wr crew over what we have

I would happily pay Chambers $7 million per year rather then paying Price and Reed $4 million each.

Mr. Pink
10-16-2007, 04:40 PM
I would happily pay Chambers $7 million per year rather then paying Price and Reed $4 million each.

I'd rather pay Josh Reed and Peerless Price 2 million a piece personally...Reed at least puts in a consistent effort week in, week out. Price is garbage but 4 million for a guy who gives consistent effort and can block over a 7 million dollar average receiver who at times looks like he could care less as to what's going on? Easy choice.

By the way this trade screams Norv Turner all over it. Norv doesn't get it, in SD he will win by using LT...but Norv loves the passing game and thinks he needs more WR, which in turn is gonna help implode the Chargers.

Great coaching move dump Marty for incompetence!

STAMPY
10-16-2007, 04:46 PM
We are guaranteed 2 Wins vs Miami now! Chambers usualyy plays good vs our secondary. I was always a fan of Chambers

Samphin1
10-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Wow. I saw this on ESPN and it honestly shocke dme. Not that Chambers is a world beate,r but he really hasn't bene part of the problem this year. I don't know what the one guy is saying about Chambers not trying against the Browns. He was wide open and Lemon just missed him. He was badly overthrown, nothing Chambers could do.

Chambers is a middle of the road number 1. He has a great season two years ago when Sage Rosenfels and Gus Frerotte threw him the ball, but other than that, he has never broeknt he 1,000 barrier. He is usually a TD machine but the last two season have pretty much been barren in that department.

Honestly, I think this move was made to help Miami's defense. How you say? Because they aren't going to be able to get any real value for JT and Zach at the end of this season and they have to replace virtually every position on that side of the ball. Stockpiling picks (espeically first day picks) allows them to hopefulyl pick up another imapct player for that side of the ball.

Say what you want about Mueller/Cameron (lord knows I have said a bunch...) but they seemed to have hit on some draft picks and right the ship on offense this year. Ronnie Brown is in the top three in rushing and is leading the league in yards from scrimmage. The o-line is anchored by a rookie center, a young LT in Carey and a resurgant RG in Rex Hadnot. That leaves three less holes to fill from last year to this. I assume we aren't that far off from seeing John Beck in the starting lineup either.

Remember, Cleo Lemon is an UFA after this year and will most likely be gone, so we will need to see if we have anything in John Beck. Look for him after the London game. And this move here, allows for Ginn to start I am assuming. Also look for Derek Hagan to get more playing time as well.

What this doesn't look good for is Marty Booker. One would have to assume that he is gone after this season as well.

Another point to make is that we may not know the whole story yet. Chambers may have asked to be traded out of frustration.

I don't know. Obviously as a Dolphins fan, it has been a rough year for us. Looking towards the future is all we really have right now. The one positive is that I trust the GM with the draft picks and am excited to see Ginn finally get some quality time on offense.

LtFinFan66
10-16-2007, 05:31 PM
I am surprised by this move but have no problem with it whatsoever

Mike13
10-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Booker.

Dangit, I would've wanted Chambers opposite Evans. Looks like we'll have to draft one next year.

No one trades with a rival without a good reason.

I personally think its a win-win trade.

While it hurts our Offense now, it is a good trade long term wise, a second rounder and some decent cap space.

Ginn and Hagan will get more time now, Booker should be the no.1 now.

Meanwhile the Chargers get a talented, although an under achieving WR.

Its Capers' system.
I think he is part of the problem.

[quote]hahaha, how the hell can to dolphins even remotely suck?

http://www.w3bdevil.com/forums/Stupid-Internet_Police.jpg

!Papacrunk!
10-16-2007, 07:32 PM
Too bad Chambers has to go because he's a real stand up guy, even with the recent trouble with the draw (which he was only charged with reckless driving.) He only missed two games when he played and was a really good WR but just couldn't get up to the great status. I really hope that Chambers lights it up for the Chargers because he's the type of player that has been fun to root for. It seems like he did pretty good with Norv Turner and we'll see if he can produce with a good QB. IMO I think any negative play has been the result of sub par QBs, a new offense every other year, and maybe his own play itself (if that makes any sense.)

As far as the trade--getting a 2nd rounder for a guy that cost us a 2nd round 7 years ago isn't too shabby IMO. We have plenty of holes and we'll need all of the picks we can get. It's time to suffer the rebuild with these type of moves as opposed to band aid fixes that have gotten the team where it is now.

In regards to the current WRs--Booker has been solid, he isn't getting any younger but he's always been very solid and was starting to really turn it up towards the end of the season last year. Hagan I has some upside, just needs to work on his dropsies. Ginn it seems is finally starting to "get it" and I'm not even talking about his return game. More and more I think they're really going to use him to stretch the field and make those plays that FunTimesYay brought up before that Chambers wasn't able to make---the long ball that needs speed to make the connection. One of his receptions this past week was a good decision on Ginn's part where he had to buy time for his QB and come back to it. As far as the return game--each week he's starting to really improve. He's had some great returns that have been called back due to stupid penalties that had nothing to do with his success in said return. I just re-watched his 96 yard return td that was called back and was very impressed when he hit traffic and THEN instantly turned on the jets and flew by everybody in a second it seemed. Might as well count Ronnie Brown as a WR since he's been really involved in the passing game and gaining quite a few reception yards (currently at 356 yards, a long of 40 and 1 TD reception; last year he had a total of 276 yards for the whole season.) He's really starting to have his best season yet--4 straight 100 yard rushing games coming in at a total of 526 yards, an average of 5.2 yards and 4 rushing TDs (5 including the receiving TD.) And it seems like Miami's o-line is really coming together and especially a lot cheaper too *cough*.

All in all it's too bad to see Chambers go, but I wish him nothing but success with the Chargers and hopefully the 2nd round pick will be put to good use. I really need to check NFL.com to see if they have highlights of Chambers game against the Bills when he had his 232 yard game with the game winning TD at the end--THAT was some performance!!!

Bling
10-16-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm going to miss him. He always showed flashes of greatness, and will probably finally flourish with a real QB (at least, I think Rivers is a real QB) and with a playoff contender. There are probably about 5 games where he looked dominate (Chargers 2 years ago, Buffalo 2 years ago, in Dallas Thanksgiving day 4 or 5 years ago, few more) You can't stick the guy on a team like Miami or Buffalo, and expect him to flourish. He won't. He needs a QB and a stable offense. He's not going to lead the team like TO could. He just needs to be on a team where not much is asked of him but to be himself. If LT gets the bulk of the carries, and he's one on one, he's going to do well in San Diego.

I'm going to miss him, but I also missed Welker. It had to be done. For once, Miami isn't trading away draft picks. We've picked up 3 2nd rounders in 4 years (Surtain, Welker, Chambers). Jason Taylor should've been traded this offseason at his complete peak. I use to get heat for it, but the guy has plenty of value that's about to disappear. I'm also estatic that TGjr is going to rip up the league now. He looked good against Cleveland.

gr8slayer
10-16-2007, 09:08 PM
Reed & Evans > Chambers

YardRat
10-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Good move for both teams...SD gets a receiving threat, Miami gets a second for a guy they probably would've cut this off-season anyway.

I'd take Chambers as a compliment to Evans if his contract was cut in half.

SABURZFAN
10-16-2007, 10:34 PM
the Fish cut cap space and get a 2nd rounder.that's a great trade for Miami.

Ickybaluky
10-17-2007, 08:52 AM
Derek Hagan from Arz State, good possession WR who can really work the middle of the field and get open. Very underrated WR for them.

This is my favorite stat about Hagan, which I just read in the Miami papers:

Career Catches: 27

Career Drops: 9

That's freakin' beautiful.

Philagape
10-17-2007, 08:59 AM
I agree it's good for both teams. He is overpaid, and he has underachieved for most of his career. A second round pick is a good return.
SD is a much better situation for him. The pressure of being the No. 1 guy is off. SD goes to Gates first, and they have a good young WR in Jackson, not to mention LT. He'll do better as the No. 2 or 3 option in SD than No. 1 in Miami.

gr8slayer
10-17-2007, 09:36 AM

Maybe he and Terrell Owens work together?

Mike13
10-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Good move for both teams...SD gets a receiving threat, Miami gets a second for a guy they probably would've cut this off-season anyway.

Right, Chambers would have made seven million this year.
He was not worth his contract.

dplus47
10-17-2007, 12:58 PM

yeah, he looks the part, but there's some kind of mental block going on right now. he has been very frustrating to watch.

DraftBoy
10-19-2007, 07:44 AM

You know NE stats dont tell the whole story, I think all Miami's WR numbers are going to be low just due to the instability of any NFL caliber QB the past few years. If you look at his scouting report and production at Az State then his stats will level out alot more.

Ickybaluky
10-19-2007, 09:03 AM
You know NE stats dont tell the whole story, I think all Miami's WR numbers are going to be low just due to the instability of any NFL caliber QB the past few years. If you look at his scouting report and production at Az State then his stats will level out alot more.

What he did in college doesn't matter now. Mike Hass was just as productive in the Pac-10, and he was cut by NO and is now the Bears 6th WR. Big whoop.

Drops were one of the reasons Hagan fell in the draft. He had a bunch of drops at the Senior Bowl and NFL Combine, calling his hands into question. That has carried over to Miami. He definitely looks the part, but that doesn't mean much. Maybe he develops, maybe he doesn't, but he will have to work on his hands to even have a shot.

Bottom line: catching the ball is an important skill for a WR.

Bling
10-19-2007, 09:20 AM

That may be true, but I agree with NE. Hagan definitely has a problem with dropped balls. At least four of those nine catches were in reach. He doesn't concentrate, much like McMichael didn't concentrate coming out of college. I believe he can correct it, but there's no denying he has a problem.

PECKERWOOD
10-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Well if the Chargers rebound that 2nd round pick is going to be more like an early 3rd rounder.

CuseJetsFan83
11-29-2007, 05:53 AM
and 6 weeks later........ chris chambers is STILL the leading receiver for the dolphins (415 yds) with the next closest person being ronnie brown, who is on IR for the rest of the season.... marty booker is the next closest person after that, about 35 yards away from becoming the new team leader at WR.

on a side note, chambers has about 200 yds receiving with the chargers which would place him about 5th on the dolphins list with that total.

granted i have no room to brag about team being pathetic (jets for sure are sucking) but is it seriously all cam/qb's fault, or is it a combination of things?

CuseJetsFan83
11-29-2007, 05:55 AM
also...... if you think about it that pittsburgh game as well as the london rain game, also coupled with the miami/oakland laugher (5 td's for FTP's lover)

how much more can that team take

as for SD...... i think they must be glad they picked up chambers, especially with LT having a not so high caliber year, granted he's had a few bright spots, and also, man are they glad they picked up philip rivers in compared to eli

LtFinFan66
11-29-2007, 06:06 AM
really 5 weeks....or 5 games. It was still the proper move

CuseJetsFan83
11-29-2007, 01:09 PM
really 5 weeks....or 5 games. It was still the proper move

oh im not saying it wasn't the proper move....... chris deserves a chance at playing for a title somewhere..... just wasn't with miami

Mike13
12-02-2007, 02:24 PM
And with all the hype he gets he has not done ahell of a whole lot in San Diego.

CuseJetsFan83
12-03-2007, 01:06 AM
his mission is to take pressure off of gates and LT......

which he has done, and its helped open up the passing attack to other players

jcdavey
12-03-2007, 03:33 AM
6 games, 20 receptions, for 276 yards 2 tds and i believe 11 1st downs

that's about the best you can hope for from a chargers wr

our offense runs through the TE and RB first and foremost

he's already had a couple amazing receptions, and not a drop yet thank goodness