PDA

View Full Version : An honest question

BlackMetalNinja
10-16-2007, 09:08 PM
I know I'm getting sick of the Losman/Edwards threads like many others, but it's an unavoidable topic at the moment. And with all the back and forth debate over which QB we should be going with, it brought an interesting question to my mind.

So let me ask this, my personal opinions aside, so don't read anymore into it than what I ask.

With Edwards starting on Sunday, what happens if he comes out and has a lousy game?

Does it prove that coaching and play calling is more of the problem than JP was?
Does it not matter because Trent gets a pass, since he's a true rookie?
Does it move JP back into the starter's role the following week?

Feel free to pose your own questions along with your answers of what the consequences both in terms of the team as well as who you support would be should this scenario play out.

gr8slayer
10-16-2007, 09:13 PM
With Edwards starting on Sunday, what happens if he comes out and has a lousy game?I honestly hope nothing happens, they picked the guy to be the starter so stick with him. Let's start building an identity.

Does it prove that coaching and play calling is more of the problem than JP was? They will need to call plays to Edwards strengths, he has some of the tools Losman lacks and Losman has some of the tools Edwards lacks. I have a feeling we're going to see a lot more of a Chad Pennington style offense with Edwards.

Does it not matter because Trent gets a pass, since he's a true rookie? I hope it doesn't matter at all to the coaches, I want them to pick a guy and stick with that guy. I don't want any of this Losman vs. Holcomb crap from 2005. PICK A GUY AND STICK WITH HIM DICK.

Does it move JP back into the starter's role the following week? No, and it shouldn't. They picked him, stick with him. Jauron and company have to know that their jobs are on the line, they have enough confidence in Edwards to put their jobs in his hands. That's good enough for me.

mybills
10-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Does it prove that coaching and play calling is more of the problem than JP was? yes
Does it not matter because Trent gets a pass, since he's a true rookie? probably
Does it move JP back into the starter's role the following week? see first question/answer

They don't know.

Mitchy moo
10-16-2007, 09:15 PM
I honestly hope nothing happens, they picked the guy to be the starter so stick with him. Let's start building an identity.

They will need to call plays to Edwards strengths, he has some of the tools Losman lacks and Losman has some of the tools Edwards lacks. I have a feeling we're going to see a lot more of a Chad Pennington style offense with Edwards.

I hope it doesn't matter at all to the coaches, I want them to pick a guy and stick with that guy. I don't want any of this Losman vs. Holcomb crap from 2005. PICK A GUY AND STICK WITH HIM DICK.

No, and it shouldn't. They picked him, stick with him. Jauron and company have to know that their jobs are on the line, they have enough confidence in Edwards to put their jobs in his hands. That's good enough for me.

Wow nice post!!!

SABURZFAN
10-16-2007, 09:21 PM
With Edwards starting on Sunday, what happens if he comes out and has a lousy game?

Does it prove that coaching and play calling is more of the problem than JP was?

ask Dick
ask Marv
ask Ralph
ask the Lickers

TacklingDummy
10-16-2007, 09:23 PM

JP got a free pass when he played lousy against the Ravens last year. I don't see any reason why that standard shouldn't hold true for Trent also.

SABURZFAN
10-16-2007, 09:25 PM
JP got a free pass when he played lousy against the Ravens last year. I don't see any reason why that standard shouldn't hold true for Trent also.

the guy is king of the Free Passes.

gr8slayer
10-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Well one good thing is that Edwards can't be that much worse. I don't think the person behind Center matters as much as the guys calling the plays in our case.

OpIv37
10-16-2007, 09:54 PM
It's pretty obvious that playcalling is a big part of the problem. That's not to make excuses for Losman because he's made his share of mistakes too. But both he and Edwards are fighting an uphill battle because Fairchild's head is shoved firmly into his own colon.

As far as a pass, well, we need to have the best player on the field. Granted, the guy's a rookie and he's going against a tough D, so we can't make any long-term assumptions about him based on this game alone. But at the same time, it will reflect poorly on the coaching staff. It's their job to put the best player on the field, and if Edwards sucks, they blew it.

And no, now that Edwards is the starter, it's his job unless he gets injured. The coaching staff now has to go down with the ship. If they pull him, it will destroy his confidence. The only caveat to this is if JP is out because he is still injured- however, everything I've read suggests JP is ready to go and Edwards has won the starting job through his play.

BTW, if any of you read Marv's book, he spent some time discussing how NFL QB's should be developed. What's going on with Edwards is pretty much the polar opposite of how Marv himself said it should be done.

BillsFever21
10-17-2007, 01:32 AM
I know I'm getting sick of the Losman/Edwards threads like many others, but it's an unavoidable topic at the moment. And with all the back and forth debate over which QB we should be going with, it brought an interesting question to my mind.

So let me ask this, my personal opinions aside, so don't read anymore into it than what I ask.

Well, he has thrown out two lousy games out of three so far and they are giving him the job for the moment so I don't really see anything else that would happen.

Losman is their scapegoat for their failures as a HC against Denver and Dallas and not being able to hold onto them games. They were sure loving him last year during our 5 out of 6 run that gave us a respectable shot at the playoffs.

So really nothing will happen to him unless they are looking for another reason to take the heat off themselves. That probably still won't matter though because if they feel they can get average production out of Edwards then they will go with him instead of paying the money for Losman.

Ralph has already done it a few times now. First with Rob Johnson. Then with even throwing Losman out there over Bledsoe before he was ready. He's all about the budget and nothing else.

There is a reason why so many bitter players leave Buffalo talking crap. You don't hear it everwhere else like you do in Buffalo. It's because Ralph doesn't know how to run a team and is always looking to save a buck.

churchinski
10-17-2007, 01:44 AM
Well, he has thrown out two lousy games out of three so far and they are giving him the job for the moment so I don't really see anything else that would happen.

Losman is their scapegoat for their failures as a HC against Denver and Dallas and not being able to hold onto them games. They were sure loving him last year during our 5 out of 6 run that gave us a respectable shot at the playoffs.

So really nothing will happen to him unless they are looking for another reason to take the heat off themselves. That probably still won't matter though because if they feel they can get average production out of Edwards then they will go with him instead of paying the money for Losman.

Ralph has already done it a few times now. First with Rob Johnson. Then with even throwing Losman out there over Bledsoe before he was ready. He's all about the budget and nothing else.

There is a reason why so many bitter players leave Buffalo talking crap. You don't hear it everwhere else like you do in Buffalo. It's because Ralph doesn't know how to run a team and is always looking to save a buck.

if he was so great last year then why did the Bills have a losing record.

because the season is 16 games long not 5

stop cherry picking games and then you will be able to see what's up and down

BillsFever21
10-17-2007, 01:52 AM
if he was so great last year then why did the Bills have a losing record.

because the season is 16 games long not 5

stop cherry picking games and then you will be able to see what's up and down

And we had such a great team last year too? A lot of good teams have losing records.

churchinski
10-17-2007, 02:06 AM
And we had such a great team last year too? A lot of good teams have losing records.
listen up
I've been watching this game for many years

and i've heard all these type of excuses many times

this is not a matter of a good QB stuck on a lousy team

this is a case of an irratic QB on a team that is not very good

shelby
10-17-2007, 04:20 AM
The assumption is being made that Edwards will be the starter for the rest of the season.
That announcement hasn't come from OBD yet.
Edwards is starting this week.

Bills stick with Edwards at QB
By Mark Gaughan - News Sports Reporter

The Buffalo Bills are pulling the trigger on their dramatic but not-too-surprising move at quarterback. Trent Edwards will get the start over J.P. Losman for Sunday's game against the Baltimore Ravens, according to two sources close to the team.

Edwards has taken the first snap at each of the past three team practices, even though Losman has been practicing fully.

Edwards faces a severe test this week against a Baltimore defense that is ranked fourth in the NFL.

It's believed the Bills are citing some concerns about Losman's ability to be 100 percent healthy for the Ravens game as a factor in the move.

More... (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/185733.html)

The majority of you are jumping to the conclusion that this is a permanent situation.

To answer bmn's question...Edwards is a rookie and therefore will get a pass if he doesn't play well. However, i feel the coaching is still suspect.
Losman isn't benched permanently. i wouldn't be surprised to see him start next week.

SquishDaFish
10-17-2007, 07:11 AM
People around here dont read full articles Shelby. They dont get it.

Philagape
10-17-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm a bit skeptical of the JP health claim. He's practicing, he says he's ready to go. In the NFL, that usually means playing on Sunday.

I think the FO just wants to extend Edwards' audition and give him every chance to claim the job for good.

X-Era
10-17-2007, 08:38 AM

Feel free to pose your own questions along with your answers of what the consequences both in terms of the team as well as who you support would be should this scenario play out.

I honestly dont think its a hard question.

Only bandwagon jumpers and the extremely stupid media bases thoughts on whether it was the right decision or not on one game. The Bills need to have a backbone and stick with their choice.

QB's like any other position will have bad games, gonna happen. Rock solid teams weather that storm and stay with their guy.

justasportsfan
10-17-2007, 09:38 AM
ask Dick
ask Marv
ask Ralph
ask the Lickers
congrats, the first idiotic reply comes from Saburz himself. :bf1: