PDA

View Full Version : Could Edwards starting put us back even further?

Bill Brasky
10-17-2007, 10:11 AM
If Edwards shows us nothing against Baltimore, or from here on out, we could be really screwed.

I've been a JP supporter, but let's be honest I don't think he's the solution at QB. This leaves Edwards. But if he screws up, that leaves us with no QB at all. We all know Ralph won't go pay for a QB in FA, so where will it leave us?

Pretty F'd in my opinion. Our defense has more holes that swiss cheese, our WR's suck outside of Evans, and we still don't have a strong right side of the OL or a good TE to go across the middle or catch dump routes.

Edwards can stop the bleeding or make it worse, IMO.

Forward_Lateral
10-17-2007, 10:22 AM
Worse case scenario: Edwards turns out to be nothing more than a backup, and the Bills have address the QB position in the offseason, probably in the draft.:ill:

OpIv37
10-17-2007, 10:25 AM
well, let's put it this way- If Edwards is the guy, we're going to know pretty soon- he's got 11 games left to show something. If Edwards isn't the guy, we'll be picking VERY early in the draft and can address the QB situation that way (although the thought makes me sick to my stomach- I can't stand another 2 years of QB grooming).

justasportsfan
It could if not handled right. If it turns out that JP was not the problem (coaches) and you throw him under the bus only to find out Edwards is the next Holcomb, we'll need to draft another qb because JP is as good as gone.

Bill Brasky
serious question: how many good qb's will be available for drafting in the low to mid 1st round?

serious question 2: when was the last time this franchise proved it can draft a legit QB? 1983 I believe.

JJamezz
10-17-2007, 10:30 AM
The biggest way they can make absolutely SURE that this happens is to start playing QB musical chairs again.. Whoever they decide on, if they don't stick with them come hell or high water, we can just pack it up and start waiting on the next coaching staff before there is any hope of this team getting better.

User Manuel
To quote an old wise man:

"If your team is going to suck in a pro sports league, it is better to suck the most."

I don't remember who said it, but it is true...

Mitchy moo
serious question: how many good qb's will be available for drafting in the low to mid 1st round?

serious question 2: when was the last time this franchise proved it can draft a legit QB? 1983 I believe.

If Edwards does nothing, we'll be drafting in the early 1st round and can catch a QB. If he does great then we draft mid to later in the round and can find a stud DE or maybe even a WR. Either way we have issues to addresss via the draft.

justasportsfan

this question goes hand in hand with who we hired as coaches. If you hire an idiot, he's not gonna know what a read qb looks like.

OpIv37
10-17-2007, 10:31 AM
both very good points- as far as the first question, if Edwards tanks, the Bills have 10 picks in the next draft and should easily be able to trade up to get one of the top QB prospects.

As far as drafting a QB, I don't know what to say about that. We definitely don't do it well.

mybills
10-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Edwards could just as easily be benched after losing to Baltimore. Right now, this team isn't going anywhere with either QB, because there are so many other problems to worry about, but if they keep making it about a QB controversy, they don't have to face the other problems. It seems like a complete smoke screen from the FO. I also think the players are more frustrated than the fans, so that ought to add to this weeks loss against Baltimore. :cynic:

MikeInRoch
Let's see.
Lately, we haven't really drafted all that many QBs. Before Losman, the only one we drafted before 1986 was Todd Collins in 1995. The late 70's/early 80's had quite a few...

1986 - Brian McClure
1985 - Frank Reich
1983 - Jim Kelly
1982 - Matt Kofler
1980 - Todd Krueger
1979 - Dan Manucci
1977 - Fred Besana

Bill Brasky
both very good points- as far as the first question, if Edwards tanks, the Bills have 10 picks in the next draft and should easily be able to trade up to get one of the top QB prospects.

Yeah, but honestly, do you see Ralph or Marv trading up to pay a high-pick QB big money? That would dip into Ralphs Cracker Jack Profit Fund. Surely he can't afford it because Buffalo is poor and the fans won't pay for a winning product.

Mahdi
10-17-2007, 10:41 AM
IF that happens.... We can welcome Andre Woodson.

OpIv37
10-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Yeah, but honestly, do you see Ralph or Marv trading up to pay a high-pick QB big money? That would dip into Ralphs Cracker Jack Profit Fund. Surely he can't afford it because Buffalo is poor and the fans won't pay for a winning product.

probably not- I hate high draft choices anyway because, aside from meaning you sucked the previous year, it means paying someone who hasn't proven **** at the NFL level. I don't necessarily blame Ralph for not wanting to shell out for unproven talent, but we're kind of running out of options here. We tried going the FA route with Bledsoe and RJ with no success, we drafted Todd Collins and Losman with no success, we brought in the vet Flutie with some success that peaked quickly.... the budget approach to QB just doesn't work and eventually Ralph is going to have to shell out top talent (and contrary to the way the Bills' FO usually works, giving a top talent payday to a guy who isn't top talent doesn't work either).

Bill Brasky
10-17-2007, 10:44 AM
I agree OP. I wouldn't want to pay for unproven "talent", but like you said, this franchise is running out of options.

Mahdi
10-17-2007, 10:50 AM
When is the last time the Bills drafted a top prospect at Qb? If our guys falter this year and show no promise then I wouldnt want an FA. The QB class is too good this year to pass up. Woodson, Brohm, Booty. One of those would be great. Woodson is my top choice because of his arm strength and the fact that his name is Woodson.

The last buffalo fan
10-17-2007, 10:50 AM
well, let's put it this way- If Edwards is the guy, we're going to know pretty soon- he's got 11 games left to show something. If Edwards isn't the guy, we'll be picking VERY early in the draft and can address the QB situation that way (although the thought makes me sick to my stomach- I can't stand another 2 years of QB grooming).

So, if the guy can't make it on his ROOKIE year, he is done, right? Leaf, Manning, Vick, Bledsoe. All of them were first draft picks, with mixed results. None of them made anything special at their first year, for their teams. All of them started, and played the entire season or consecutive seasons for their former team. The point here is, it is not the owner, it is not the scout team, it is not the coaches, but it is the fan base. We are sick and tired of this ****, and we are not giving them the proper time to develop a player, you can say it is because the playoff, the team moving, etc. So instead of trying to get a response out of rookie QB, a future QB draft pick or a FA QB, ask yourself, if you are willing to give them again time to groom that ideal qb. I will.

PECKERWOOD
10-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Yup, another 2-3 years of grooming atleast and if we take another QB in the draft it will be even longer and I'm not saying that we shouldn't because it depends who is available and how Edwards does.

mybills
10-17-2007, 10:52 AM
At least we have Lynch.

deepslant
10-17-2007, 10:54 AM
What about the coaching? If the coaching was sharp then it's easy to put the spotlight on a problem (ie qb). With DJ/SF it's impossible to point the finger becasue they personally lost the Denver and Dallas games for us.

Mitchy moo
10-17-2007, 10:54 AM
At least we have Lynch.

Thank god for him.

Tatonka
10-17-2007, 10:55 AM
its not going to matter because edwards wont make it through the rest of the year healthy.

OpIv37
10-17-2007, 10:56 AM
At least we have Lynch.

you mean the guy that gets 60 yards a game and can't pick up a 1st on 2nd and 2 or 3rd and 2 to save his life?

Lynch is one of those guys who needs to play a LOT better if this team is ever going to make any kind of a run.

Mahdi
10-17-2007, 10:59 AM
You know what the difference is between taking a top QB next year and the Bills taking one 2 years ago? If we were to take one in the next draft he would be coming into a great situation. Good OL with great pass blocking, a great young RB who can catch, speedy WRs and maybe another drafted with him, a solid young defense and hopefully a TE. 2 years ago we had none of the above. I dont believe it would be a 2-3 year development/re-building process. We would win games with a young talented Qb as long as the rest is in place which most of it is already.

mybills
10-17-2007, 11:10 AM
you mean the guy that gets 60 yards a game and can't pick up a 1st on 2nd and 2 or 3rd and 2 to save his life?

Lynch is one of those guys who needs to play a LOT better if this team is ever going to make any kind of a run.

If the rest of the line was a beast like him, they'd get my praise, too. Oh wait, they aren't, so Lynch doesn't get to "pick up a 1st on 2nd and 2 or 3rd and 2 to save his life".

OpIv37
10-17-2007, 11:34 AM
If the rest of the line was a beast like him, they'd get my praise, too. Oh wait, they aren't, so Lynch doesn't get to "pick up a 1st on 2nd and 2 or 3rd and 2 to save his life".

right, it's never anyone's fault on this team. Let's just stand by the guys we like regardless of how poorly they play and blame everyone else. No one needs to be held accountable for their performance.

mybills
10-17-2007, 11:44 AM
right, it's never anyone's fault on this team. Let's just stand by the guys we like regardless of how poorly they play and blame everyone else. No one needs to be held accountable for their performance.
WOW, did you go in another direction! :rofl:
I'm saying they ALL suck! He sucks because they suck. They suck because of the coaching, and because a bunch of them aren't even starter material, and they're gonna keep sucking no matter who the sucky QB is.

Don't blame, hold them accountable? HAHAHA!!! You kill me..even when you don't get it, you get it!

OpIv37
10-17-2007, 11:47 AM
WOW, did you go in another direction! :rofl:
I'm saying they ALL suck! He sucks because they suck. They suck because of the coaching, and because a bunch of them aren't even starter material, and they're gonna keep sucking no matter who the sucky QB is.

Don't blame, hold them accountable? HAHAHA!!! You kill me..even when you don't get it, you get it!

but you're sitting here talking about Lynch like he's so great- "at least we have Lynch", but then you go on to say he's just one more of the guys who suck.

WTF? I'm not the one who doesn't get it. You're just pulling stuff out of your ass because you got caught sticking up for guys who aren't performing.

Mitchy moo
10-17-2007, 11:50 AM
WTF? I'm not the one who doesn't get it. You're just pulling stuff out of your ass because you got caught sticking up for guys who aren't performing.

Like JP.

OpIv37
10-17-2007, 11:56 AM
Like JP.

there are people here doing the same thing with JP, but for the record, I'm not one of them. I'm not as hard on JP as some around here because I think the WR's and the coaching are holding him back, but at the same time the guy's made his share of mistakes that can only be attributed to himself.

Mitchy moo
10-17-2007, 11:59 AM
there are people here doing the same thing with JP, but for the record, I'm not one of them. I'm not as hard on JP as some around here because I think the WR's and the coaching are holding him back, but at the same time the guy's made his share of mistakes that can only be attributed to himself.

Going 8-19 as a starter?? Drew did better than him as a starter here and he was immobile.

revised because fo crystal ball malfunction, lol.

mybills
10-17-2007, 12:07 PM
but you're sitting here talking about Lynch like he's so great- "at least we have Lynch", but then you go on to say he's just one more of the guys who suck.

Actually, when he finds a hole, he IS a beast. When he doesn't (because of the line) he isn't. They are all making each other suck. But I guess where I lost you was when I tried to turn the thread away from the 10 millionth QB controversy that was happening again. :rolleyes: It's not just the QB's. I don't know how much more clear I can say it. And I guess I'm not allowed to use sarcasm.

Hey log..when ARE you gonna make an icon for sarcasm? :tap:

Mitchy moo
10-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Hey log..when ARE you gonna make an icon for sarcasm? :tap:

Lol. :crush:

I Hate Aqua Green
10-17-2007, 12:18 PM
The decision's been made but I'm still not sure if it's the right one...JP is still relatively young and I still say let him finish the year to see what we have there (and go with Trent next year if it turns out to be nothing)...with that being said, I don't think it's possible to set the Bills further back...Completely embarrassing run of seasons w/o playoffs, letting great players walk and being a bit player in FA, constant fears among the fan base that the team is going to move to Toronto or LA or Rancho Cucamunga, Greg Williams...Mike Mularkey,Erik Flowers...Mike Williams. Things can't get worse but they can get better. Have to see what the kid brings.

OpIv37
10-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Going 8-29 as a starter?? Drew did better than him as a starter here and he was immobile.

JP only has 27 starts. His W/L record obviously isn't good, but your numbers are a little off there. I think you meant 8-19.

Mitchy moo
10-17-2007, 12:26 PM
JP only has 27 starts. His W/L record obviously isn't good, but your numbers are a little off there. I think you meant 8-19.

Oops, my crystal ball made me jump ahead if he had started the rest of the season.

I Hate Aqua Green
10-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Yeah, I get really POed when I see the running ability of JP...and he refuses to use it. When the protection breaks down...BOLT!

BlackMetalNinja
10-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I get really POed when I see the running ability of JP...and he refuses to use it. When the protection breaks down...BOLT!

Well, by that same token, why do the coaches call plays for Trent Edwards to roll out of the pocket and make passes, but never do so for JP when he's obviously mobile?

I Hate Aqua Green
10-17-2007, 12:52 PM
I'll go one further (and maybe I'm nuts here)..Why no designed run plays for JP? He's mobile and athletic enough to pick up big chunks of yardage a couple times a game in the right circumstance yet they never try it. I know there's risk of injury there...but it's the NFL and there's risk of injury on every play.

scott51
10-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Sorry if this has been said but I didn't read all the posts in this thread. Anyhow, I think it is funny that people are ready to throw Edwards under the bus after only 2 starts. I mean people are upset because there are those of us who don't have faith in JP Losman who has had 24 starts and has yet to consistently show us promise and at the same time say Edwards is a mistake after only 2 starts. If you remember, the Cowboys fans were ready to ship a certain quarterback out the door after his first year! His rookie year, these were his stats:

(155 of 293 for 1,749 yards, 9 TDs, 18 INTs)

The Cowboys that year went 1-15. The quarterback here is obviously none other than, Troy Aikman.

Is Edwards going to be the next Troy Aikman, I don't know. No way in world is that what I am implying. What I am saying is we need to be patient. I know its hard cuz we have been patient for way TOO long! I do believe that Edwards has shown promise and will turn out to be a hell of a quarterback. Lets just hope our coaches don't keep him down!