PDA

View Full Version : What is arm strength?

trapezeus
10-17-2007, 10:42 AM
honestly, we all talk about it. but it seems like of the 32 starting QB's in the NFL, everyone can throw at least 50 yards sans pennington. IS arm strength you are born with or can you bicep curl your way to more arm strength?

I'm just confused if arm strength is fixable or just an attribute you have.

Mahdi
10-17-2007, 10:45 AM
honestly, we all talk about it. but it seems like of the 32 starting QB's in the NFL, everyone can throw at least 50 yards sans pennington. IS arm strength you are born with or can you bicep curl your way to more arm strength?

Arm Strength is not throwing deep. It has more to do with the intermediate throws between defenders. There are throws Pennington simply cant make. For example a 15 yard out is not an easy throw if you dont have a strong arm, or a post pattern in the middle of the field. Without great arm strength those throws get picked off. Defenders are just too fast these days.

mybills
10-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Good velocity goes a long way. How many receiver have to adjust to those 32 QB's?
Maybe curls could help, but I believe it's something that just comes natural.

PECKERWOOD
10-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Btw, Arm strength is not really bicep strength.. More so how much your legs can drive and your shoulder power. Anyways, as far as NFL QB's go, arm strength is being able to throw a tight ball inbetween traffic and double coverage, imo. Anybody can throw a bomb to a wide open reciever. ( minus Pennington and a couple of others, ofcourse.. )

trapezeus
10-17-2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the responses. i realize that the out passes that pennington can't make are due to lack of arm strength. i just find it wierd that the term "strength" is used. Strength, to me, suggests it can be overcome and "strengthened".

I guess arm strength is synonomous to a natural swing for a baseball player. You can't really coach that into someone. So you can't really teach a guy to snap the ball out of his hand any faster.

Philagape
10-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Btw, Arm strength is not really bicep strength.. More so how much your legs can drive and your shoulder power. Anyways, as far as NFL QB's go, arm strength is being able to throw a tight ball inbetween traffic and double coverage, imo. Anybody can throw a bomb to a wide open reciever. ( minus Pennington and a couple of others, ofcourse.. )

That reminds of when Holcomb made that long pass against Cincinnati. That ball was in the air for about an hour, it seemed.

And I agree that the real issue should be the intermediate passes. I'm not worried about the home-run bombs; I'm worried about converting a 3rd and long.

deepslant
10-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the responses. i realize that the out passes that pennington can't make are due to lack of arm strength. i just find it wierd that the term "strength" is used. Strength, to me, suggests it can be overcome and "strengthened".

I guess arm strength is synonomous to a natural swing for a baseball player. You can't really coach that into someone. So you can't really teach a guy to snap the ball out of his hand any faster.

Don't confuse quick release with velocity. A quick release could actually lower your velocity if you're not rotating your shoulders and hips properly, etc..

churchinski
10-17-2007, 11:39 AM

I've been curling beers for many years so I should have some pretty good arm strength

bigbub2352
10-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Arm Strength is a major factor in the wind, and cold, how well u can throw the ball into tight coverage is also a factor, but then that leads into touch or accuracy, also arm strength comes from legs and the push off the back foot, like a baseball pitcher, u can do all the steroids and arm curls u want, arm strength is a natural thing, mechanics and weight lifting can improve it, but it will not be something drastic, Arm strength in other words is mostly god given, it is up to coaching and mechanics to hone it into something special