PDA

View Full Version : Bills Maybe have a New OLineman?? Matt Murphy??

bigbub2352
10-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Matt Murphy lined up at OT

<TABLE borderColor=#09347b cellPadding=10 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=mediumrow style="BORDER-RIGHT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #548bb5 1px solid" colSpan=2><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Today

</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 12:56 PM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=2118)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>MURPHY LINED UP AT OT: Bills TE Matt Murphy was lining up at offensive tackle in practice today. He was wearing jersey #70 instead of his usual #87. We'll see what details we can get on that</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>This is not a surprise he has the size and blocking skills to convert to Oline and due to our lack of depth in the interior with Whittle goin down and Preston just plain horrible, Murphy could be another TE convert to lineman that could help us in the future he already know how to run block and does it well, i dont see him as an option for tackle thou, anyone heard if Butler is healthy? practicing?

Mitchy moo
10-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Is this a good thing??

raphael120
10-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Is this a good thing??

He would be depth, which is good because we have no one that is really backing up Walker at RT.

Mitchy moo
10-17-2007, 12:27 PM
He would be depth, which is good because we have no one that is really backing up Walker at RT.

Ok, that's cool.

OpIv37
10-17-2007, 12:28 PM
meh- he's either a crappy back up TE or a crappy back up OL- doesn't really matter.

It doesn't hurt to have him learn OL positions in case of an emergency- with the rash of injuries we've had this year, a situation where we need to go that far down the depth chart is clearly a possibility. But it's not like this is going to help the OL in any significant way.

bigbub2352
10-17-2007, 12:44 PM
I think if we need depth we should be bringing in a vet at the postion, terrance pennington is still out there for T help, but as for interior not sure who best option would be but we r sitting on PPrice who should be on IR and now converting a TE to Oline for depth, shouldnt this stuff be done in the preseason

Mahdi
10-17-2007, 12:45 PM
meh- he's either a crappy back up TE or a crappy back up OL- doesn't really matter.

It doesn't hurt to have him learn OL positions in case of an emergency- with the rash of injuries we've had this year, a situation where we need to go that far down the depth chart is clearly a possibility. But it's not like this is going to help the OL in any significant way.
He could be the next Jason Peters... but the only thing is.... he's 6'5 264... thats small for any position on the OL.

bigbub2352
10-17-2007, 12:57 PM
He could be the next Jason Peters... but the only thing is.... he's 6'5 264... thats small for any position on the OL.
put some weight on he is perfect size and athletism for Guard, ala Denver

Forward_Lateral
10-17-2007, 01:06 PM
He's 264? He'll get tossed around like a rag-doll on the line.

TigerJ
10-17-2007, 01:16 PM
According to http://www.billsdaily.com/injury/ Butler practiced Monday and will likely play against Baltimore. Preston would be the first in should he, Fowler, or Dockery get hurt. This is simply about the Bills trying to prepare themselves for any possible emergency. With all the injuries Buffalo had during the first five games, probably the Bills are even making arrangements to replace the water boy if need be.

raphael120
10-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Use your Ralph Wilson discount and you can take a normal fat guy from the street and you can make him into your offensive linemen, a tight end, a blocking full back, a defensive end, or even put a headset on him and make him a bumbling moron of an offensive coordinator!

Hurry, supplies are limited and Ralph is very cheap!

Skinny guy who can be a linebacker, safety, wide reciever, cornerback, QB, or running back COMING SOON!

OpIv37
10-17-2007, 01:33 PM

that's what happens when you keep guys like Stamer and Haggan for ST ability when they can't play offensive or defensive positions- you end up messing around with 264 lb OL's.

I guess I wouldn't be so mad if our ST was more dominant, but they missed a FG and choked on the onside kick, when it counted the most. If the price we have to pay for good ST is 264 lb OL's and using a nickel as our base defensive set, those ST's better NEVER make a mistake.

EDS
10-17-2007, 02:00 PM

264 lbs is a long way from being a servicable NFL lineman this day and age. What happened to Chambers?

HHURRICANE
10-17-2007, 02:18 PM
that's what happens when you keep guys like Stamer and Haggan for ST ability when they can't play offensive or defensive positions- you end up messing around with 264 lb OL's.

I guess I wouldn't be so mad if our ST was more dominant, but they missed a FG and choked on the onside kick, when it counted the most. If the price we have to pay for good ST is 264 lb OL's and using a nickel as our base defensive set, those ST's better NEVER make a mistake.

Our special teams are the best in the league and have contributed to us being 1-4. We also have a genius asst. coach in Bobby April who's influence has shaped this roster into a collection of high motor guys!!

OpIv37
10-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Our special teams are the best in the league and have contributed to us being 1-4. We also have a genius asst. coach in Bobby April who's influence has shaped this roster into a collection of high motor guys!!

too bad those high motors only run in reverse.

DraftBoy
10-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Guy will need to put on atleast 25 pounds to even hold his ground, he wont be serviceable this season Maybe could become something with a full offseason of conditioning.

mysticsoto
10-19-2007, 08:48 AM
264 lbs is a long way from being a servicable NFL lineman this day and age. What happened to Chambers?

Murphy is now listed at 273 lbs and says he wants to go up 20 more lbs...

From Chris Brown's blog:

MURPHY TO TOIL AT TACKLE: Bills tight end Matt Murphy was wearing jersey #70 in practice this week. The number change was as new to him as it was to the onlooking media Wednesday.
<o:p> </o:p>
Murphy didn’t know he was moving to tackle until Wednesday.
“Right before practice,” said Murphy as to when he was informed of the position switch. “It was kind of something they were talking about before. Coach Kugler mentioned it to me a couple of weeks ago and said it was a possibility. So he came up to me today and said, ‘Do you want to do it?’ And I said yeah sure.”
With only seven active offensive linemen on the roster head coach Dick Jauron felt they needed someone to turn to if something happens at tackle. Kirk Chambers is the backup swing tackle, but if a second starting tackle goes down they want an answer.
“We’re not certain that there’s anybody out there at tackle that could do a better job than Matt so we’re starting to work with him to get him ready,” said Jauron. “So we’ll keep working with him.”
“They just thought I was athletic enough to make the move over to tackle,” said Murphy. “I’m also one of the heavier tight ends so it won’t be as hard for me to put on the weight as some other people.”
Currently tipping the scales at 273 pounds Murphy is fighting on just about every play in practice to hold his ground against defensive ends that are close to his size coming at him with momentum. Murphy estimates he’ll have to add about 20 pounds to his frame to help him anchor more effectively in pass protection.
“Honestly that would be good,” said Murphy. “I can do it. I have no problem with eating. It will probably take me a month or two.”
Murphy has some experience at the tackle position. While with the Houston Texans he was moved inside to tackle from tight end and practiced at the position there for about three months.
“I was never in a game, but I was working there so I kind of remember some of the stuff there,” said Murphy.
As far as getting the assignments down at tackle Murphy is not anticipating a difficult transition.
“There are little nuances between different positions,” he said. “So you know the ideas of certain plays with protections, but the tackles call it different stuff. I’ll still remember the tight end stuff just in case.”

Meathead
10-19-2007, 09:04 AM
http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/electric/cort/Murphy_files/mattnurphy.gif