PDA

View Full Version : Bills games in Toronto?

Stewie
10-18-2007, 01:10 PM
http://profootballtalk.com/RUMORMILL.HTM

"

Amid reports that the owners of the CFL Toronto Argonauts hope to bring an NFL franchise to town, the Buffalo Bills are in the process of securing permission to play at least one preseason and one regular-season game in Toronto.
Various levels and types of approval are necessary, and it's currently unclear whether the effort will be successful.
On the surface, the move appears to be an effort by the Bills to keep Toronto from landing an NFL franchise of its own. Such a move would potentially devastate the Bills, removing from the pool of potential fans (and paying customers) Canadians who would be more apt to rally around the Toronto team.
It also could be that Ralph Wilson wants to position his Bills to be the logical candidate for purchase by Canadian interests after his death, while at the same time keeping the franchise (at least for part of the season) in Western New York. Eventually, there could be a Milwaukee-Green Bay arrangement for the Bills, with the team playing half of its home games in Toronto and the other half in Buffalo -- and with fans from both cities attending all of them.
Either way, it's a shrewd move by Wilson, and it shows that he truly cares about whether the franchise stays put even after he's gone and, as expected, his family sells the team.
For Toronto, a split schedule could also help to calm concerns that the arrival of the NFL (http://profootballtalk.com/RUMORMILL.HTM#) will kill the CFL."

If your reply to this is "well, its PFT blah blah blah" then just save it, okay?

Buffatexas
10-18-2007, 01:13 PM
the nfl is mandating that all teams play at least 1 game in another country occasionally. Maybe the Bills are just getting theirs out of the way. Besides, if they wanted to use this as a test market as a possible move, this is not the model they would put on display

jamze132
10-18-2007, 01:31 PM
I hate to say it but I think it is becoming clear that the Bills are going to move from Buffalo, eventually.

Call me crazy but if they are going to eventually move, I hope they stay in the region. For the record, I am opposed to any move by the Bills but if they are going to, I would rather it be to Toronto.

RedEyE
10-18-2007, 01:36 PM
This is a good marketing move for the NFL and the Bills. Canada produces a hell of a lot of fans and it seems only right to reward them with a game that doesn't require a border patrol pregame.

I imagine something like this will also be televised nationally = bonus. Not to mention all over Eastern Canada.

TigerJ
10-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Who reallly knows what the long term plans of Ralph Wilson might be for the team. I think the rationale for the action makes sense. If the Bills can become more of a regional team, they increase their long term financial viability. Could the team be sold to out of town interests after Wilson's death? Absolutely! However, if there is to be any chance that the franchise stays put, fans in southern Ontario are an absolute necessity. It also expands the possibilities of corporate sponsorship, which are limited in Buffalo. This does not have to be seen as a first step to the Bills leaving WNY.

wozrob11
10-18-2007, 05:03 PM
come on guys support a canadian team have some respect for yourselfs if they go so will so will my team its the BUFFALO bills or nothing, but if they have to go i hope its las vegas

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
10-18-2007, 05:39 PM
The Bills say they're hoping to play games in Toronto, to help keep the team in Western New York.

The Bills are proposing to play a preseason game at Rogers Centre in Toronto in 2008, and a regular season game in 2009.

The team issued the following statement:

"The Buffalo Bills are looking to increase their successful regionalization efforts.

The franchise boosted its regional footprint by locating its popular training camp experience in Rochester, New York several years ago. Beginning in 2008, the team plans to increase its focus on the northern sector of its market. The team hopes to capitalize on the increasing interest of fans in the Canadian market by playing a regular season game in Toronto.

The support of the Canadian fan base has led to the Bills recent sellout streak which has enabled the Bills games to be televised locally in the Western New York market. This extension of the regionalization effort is designed to enhance the viability and competitiveness of the franchise in Western New York."

The Bills would need State and County approval under terms of the current lease at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

The team would also need approval of league owners who are scheduled to discuss the proposal at a meeting in Philadelphia on Tuesday.

The NFL league office says it views the idea as an effective way for the Bills to enhance their fan base, and has no plans for a move or expansion to Toronto.

The Bills aren't waiting to continue the marketing push. A group of Bills rookies including Quarterback Trent Edwards, Running Back Marshawn Lynch, and Linebacker Paul Posluszny, will be appearing at a Toronto area school on Tuesday.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=51908

Devin
10-18-2007, 05:40 PM
the politicians in Erie arent gonna have much choice soon.

YardRat
10-18-2007, 06:30 PM
I hate to say it but I think it is becoming clear that the Bills are going to move from Buffalo, eventually.

Call me crazy but if they are going to eventually move, I hope they stay in the region. For the record, I am opposed to any move by the Bills but if they are going to, I would rather it be to Toronto.

Whatever you say, Willis.

Your ass can be shipped off to Baltimore to, you know.

YardRat
10-18-2007, 06:31 PM
BTW...There will NEVER be an NFL franchise in Buffalo AND Toronto at the same time.

G. Host
10-18-2007, 06:57 PM
I think the Bills are just trying to get Toronto dollars spent on advertising, etc. One game a year is not a big deal and most fans would not mind giving Toronto a preseason game as well. The Bills could raise the price per game but cut it overall, hold later game in Toronto after CFL season is over and get a bigger share and maybe a Toronto name sponsor.

If the TSA and others were not so idiotic and a new peace bridge built we could have a lot more Canadian :canada: fans. I did the Canada -> Buffalo trip on a Sunday and I salute you Ontarians. Northern Canada Bills fans are mostly Green Bay fans anyways.