• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Devin
    The Octagon
    • Apr 2003

**Official Buffalo Bills Future Thread**

This isnt a "for or against" type thing its more of a prediction thread. Its meant to be taken serious so please dont make me delete posts.

This isnt about agreeing or disagreeing about a move, or if you will forever hate the nfl if they leave......etc.

Its about serious, realistic predictions. It isnt meant to scare anyone, but the sad reality is this problem, and it is a problem, is one that we aree going to have to face as fans very soon.

Serious responses only, I dont want to have to neg anyone into oblivion. Keep it civil.

What we know:

1. Ralph is going on what 89? So obviously somewhere in the very likely timeframe of 1 to 6 seasons I would say is the window we are looking at.

2. Family = no team. So the team will obviously be sold to what is very likely the highest bidder.

3. The Buffalo market while sustainable, is basically the equivalent of treading water.

4. The city/county....etc at least without state help cant afford a new stadium.

5. The NFL no longer allows cities/group ownerships ala Green bay.

I am sure we know more BUT GET OFF MY BACK, I dont remember or care to follow up on the bazillion threads about it here. Ill add them as valid points are made.

PUT ASIDE PERSONAL WISHES AND BIAS AND POST WHAT YOU THINK IS THE MOST LIKELY SCENARIO IN YOUR MIND.

My Prediction:

Personally I think a new owner buys the team with promises to keep the team in Buffalo and give it the good fight. After a year or two said owner changes thier mind and produces plenty of proof on financial losses compared to others....etc.

There is a year long fight to keep the team here....."we need small market teams....blah blah blah". Jim Kelly and all the usual local celebs chip in and try and help. The state of NY probably makes a weak attempt "Buffalo needs this team.....etc and so forth".......Goodell puts in his two cents. All the usual media motions/campaigns are gone through....and after all that when it comes down to the almighty ownership vote it gets passed unanimously....or close anyway.

The team moves to one of the obvious locations a season later (Toronto, LA....etc).

While sad, I guess im with the group who simply dont believe the numbers are there. And quite honestly we are all a little bias of course but how on earth do you sell this team to some billionaire somewhere and convince him not to go to a cash cow like LA who will build a brand spanking new state-of-the-art stadium for him. As has been said a million times at the end of the day as sad as it is its simple economics. The NFL isnt a sport, its a business. Any player, any coach, any owner most of all will tell you that.

But at the end of the day if Modell can move the freakin Browns I simply dont believe we have the firepower any way around to keep the Bills here.

Thoughts?
    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: **Official Buffalo Bills Future Thread**

I just watched the sports on the news, and I haven't read the rest of the boards yet but I'm sure it's been posted already...With the team looking to put at least one regular season game in Toronto, and possibly more, it certainly appears as if management is at least throwing the proverbial trial balloon up to gauge the popularity of the NFL in Canada.

One of the reasons stated regarded the empty luxury suites that haven't been sold, and that doesn't bode well for the ability of the community to be able to support the franchise.

I think it's more likely the team is relocated after a short trial period that you mentioned, unless the state, county, and local governments really give away the keys to the kingdom to try and keep the team in Buffalo. Even then, a new owner with very deep pockets and a true commitment to WNY would have to be part of the equation, and I just don't see anybody like that stepping up.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

RW secures his legacy, sells the team to a Tom G. lead group and the state gives money to offset the inheritance tax to keep the Bills in NY.

Comment

• G. Host
        Banned
        • Jul 2002

I hate "**Official**" threads. Too Skooby-like.

Ralph Just turned 89 today.

I think Jim Kelly and maybe a few others will attempt to become minor owners stressing how it will help with fans, press, etc.

New owner will get a new name and rename the Fieldhouse after Ralph. Probably a Toronto or Ontario company looking to expand in US ("Sundowner Stadium" ) Company will go heavy into marketing and replace joke of a ticket office. Large ticket price increase and more talk of seat licenses for 3-5 years/

I think the NFL current contract revenue-sharing agreement will not last and Big 5 will prevent the new owner from getting any share of revenue from evenue-sharing agreement; after purchase the owner will take them to court and lose in a few years. By then there will be a NEW agreement because of other teams hurt by agreement and more political press.

NYS will talk about helping but money will never come through.
        NYS is never reliable to WNY.

Bills will increase in value but no where near what an owner can make elsewhere but will keep trying until they get a St Lous type sweatheart deal they would be idiotic to pass up. After negotiating with NYS fails after a pitiful stadium revamp deal is offered they take the deal.

Buffalo gets to keep the name and eventually a new minor league of NFL is formed with Buffalo Bills as a member.

Comment

• Devin
          The Octagon
          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by YardRat
          Even then, a new owner with very deep pockets and a true commitment to WNY would have to be part of the equation, and I just don't see anybody like that stepping up.
          Agreed. And that to me is one of the longest shots, you have to hope that an owner from WNY steps up. And even then your options are relativley limited. When they do you have to hope that they are SO committed they decide they dont need any more wealth and wish not to move to one of the huge markets available.

Whats more you are talking about what 750-850 mil if not more? PLuse sorting out some sort of stadium deal very likely. Tall order.

Comment

• jamze132
            Don’t hate…
            • Jun 2003

I like to believe that when Ralph kicks the bucket, Tommy G, Jimmy K, and others buy the team and keep it in Buffalo as well as field a winning team.

Another part of me says that the guys listed above can't afford to do that and some other rich guy does with the intention, that everyone is aware of, to move the team so he can be even richer while destroying an entire region.

Does the Bass Pro Shops guy ahve enough money to buy the Bills?

Comment

• Hamilton Billsfan

Your scenario above is indeed likely, however.............

I still Billieve most of the storm clouds will dissipate under a new management,say with someone like Bill Cowher at the helm and that the team starts winning again.

Comment

• Devin
                The Octagon
                • Apr 2003

I guess in my mind it all comes down to the almighty dollar, no matter how much we wish otherwise.

I just think NFL ownership is no longer a millionaires game, you literally have to be a Billionaire nowadays. Especially to stay competitive and all.

Even bringing in a coach like cowher I mean thats gonna cost what? 5-10 mil a year, he will certainly demand Belicheck money. As well he should.

I just dont see that kind of firepower in Buffalo. If Tom G sold the Sabres and brought in another big gun from the area perhaps, but if this goes up for bids........simply to many wealthier people in north america who could easily outbid them.

Jim Kelly is a face, nothing more. He doesnt have the financial power to do pretty much anything as far as a franchise goes.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

My honest opinion? It's a very unfortunate outlook.

I agree with Yardrat to an extent. I do believe putting a game up in toronto is to gauge the market and see how well it will do. One home game up there is gonna be a huge success. Even playing preseason games in Tokyo worked out. It's a novely act, one game doesn't foresee a trend nor the projection of 10 games at the same site per year.

Ultimately I believe Ralphie's ego doesn't allow him to sell the team, he probably already has a private deal for when he passes on where the team goes, or if he doesn't it's in the works. He's most likely agreed to an outside buyer and he's "fighting" to save face. The whole the collective bargaining agreement is a sham, etc....Meanwhile he's putting false things out that this franchise can't survive here. He's still turning a profit year after year from this team, while it's not the same profit that Dallas or Washington is getting, it's still a profit.

I honestly believe that Ralph doesn't shell out the bonuses and spend to the cap to maximize his profit margin out of jealousy of the Joneses, Krafts, Snyders. But then he won't sell naming rights to the stadium so he can get a few extra dollars. It's maddening how much he makes no sense at times. A million dollars to him a year may mean nothing but it's still more income that he could and should be getting.

I think everything we've seen so far is to brace the public for the inevitable move. I just don't think there will be any trial period. Once the new ownership takes over they'll buy out the lease to the stadium, city, county, whatever it is. It will probably be included in the sale price of the franchise. And I honestly believe they end up in either LA or LV, which will force some re-ordering of divisions.

I'm hopeful this isn't the case and there is still hope now it stays, but it doesn't seem economically viable for another buyer to keep this team here if he can maximize his profits elsewhere.

Comment

• Devin
                    The Octagon
                    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                    My honest opinion? It's a very unfortunate outlook.

I agree with Yardrat to an extent. I do believe putting a game up in toronto is to gauge the market and see how well it will do. One home game up there is gonna be a huge success. Even playing preseason games in Tokyo worked out. It's a novely act, one game doesn't foresee a trend nor the projection of 10 games at the same site per year.

Ultimately I believe Ralphie's ego doesn't allow him to sell the team, he probably already has a private deal for when he passes on where the team goes, or if he doesn't it's in the works. He's most likely agreed to an outside buyer and he's "fighting" to save face. The whole the collective bargaining agreement is a sham, etc....Meanwhile he's putting false things out that this franchise can't survive here. He's still turning a profit year after year from this team, while it's not the same profit that Dallas or Washington is getting, it's still a profit.

I honestly believe that Ralph doesn't shell out the bonuses and spend to the cap to maximize his profit margin out of jealousy of the Joneses, Krafts, Snyders. But then he won't sell naming rights to the stadium so he can get a few extra dollars. It's maddening how much he makes no sense at times. A million dollars to him a year may mean nothing but it's still more income that he could and should be getting.

I think everything we've seen so far is to brace the public for the inevitable move. I just don't think there will be any trial period. Once the new ownership takes over they'll buy out the lease to the stadium, city, county, whatever it is. It will probably be included in the sale price of the franchise. And I honestly believe they end up in either LA or LV, which will force some re-ordering of divisions.

I'm hopeful this isn't the case and there is still hope now it stays, but it doesn't seem economically viable for another buyer to keep this team here if he can maximize his profits elsewhere.
                    Agree almost 100%.

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

I can't argue with your thinking. Excellent post.

I went to my 1st game over 40 years ago at Jefferson and Best, when star players made $20,000 a year, envious of Joe Namath and his mind boggling 100K salary ! These players would always work 2nd jobs during the off-season. My, how times have changed.

The current NFL looks at slugs like us as 2nd tier priorities, behind the corporate dollar. ( something Buffalo has little of ) The Bills have hit their price ceiling and it may equal a slow death of this NFL team, which may last a few more years, unless a local economic miracle occurs.

I just can't see Buffalo, Jacksonville, Oakland and maybe a couple others surviving in a League who believes $100 end zone tickets isn't out of line. This is why in a thread last spring, I predicted the NFL would eventually contract several teams and shrink down to 24-26 teams. Only the rich can afford this ride and our market/population is too small to justify this insanity. Pro sports have become far too greedy.

I also predicted another AFL league will eventually form, with plenty of empty stadiums and a ready fanbase available, with sane economics.

And I'd be in line day 1 for seasons. If not, I'd fall back on UB season tickets and still enjoy life.
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• jamze132
                        Don’t hate…
                        • Jun 2003

I don't like the idea of Buffalo having a "minor league" team named the Buffalo Bills. Although, that is essentially what we are right now in our current state. How sad.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                          Will not tolerate vandalism.
                          • Apr 2006

OK, I'll take a stab at this.

* Ralph Wilson dies.
                          * Government seizes the property to pay estate tax and in an attempt to keep the franchise in Buffalo.
                          * NFL threatens government over ownership policy. Government sues and loses. Fans enter uproar.
                          * Two bidding factions develop: one from Toronto, one from Los Angeles. Las Vegas will try but the NFL will refuse any and all bids for that city due to their gambling reputation.
                          * Los Angeles wins out. Team moves to L.A. and becomes the Los Angeles Condors.
                          * CFL offers the region a franchise, to be called the Fort Erie Firebirds (named Fort Erie so as to remain Canadian).

That's just my prediction.

Also, something to take note: the Bills just this year put a radio affiliate (Fan 590 CJCL) in Toronto for the first time. Something to chew on...

Comment

• Devin
                            The Octagon
                            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot
                            OK, I'll take a stab at this.

* Ralph Wilson dies.
                            * Government seizes the property to pay estate tax and in an attempt to keep the franchise in Buffalo.
                            * NFL threatens government over ownership policy. Government sues and loses. Fans enter uproar.
                            * Two bidding factions develop: one from Toronto, one from Los Angeles. Las Vegas will try but the NFL will refuse any and all bids for that city due to their gambling reputation.
                            * Los Angeles wins out. Team moves to L.A. and becomes the Los Angeles Condors.
                            * CFL offers the region a franchise, to be called the Fort Erie Firebirds (named Fort Erie so as to remain Canadian).

That's just my prediction.

Also, something to take note: the Bills just this year put a radio affiliate (Fan 590 CJCL) in Toronto for the first time. Something to chew on...
                            Not bad.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                              • Jul 2002

Why even have this thread? If I were to somehow find out they would be here 5 more years then leave I would stop supporting them this moment. The hope I have that they will stay is the only thing that keeps me going at this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X