X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • don137
    • Jul 2002

AFC Playbook on Bills Offensive line

Not sure if anyone caught the analysis on NFL Network's show AFC Playbook where they break down film and use it for the week's upcoming games. They did analysis of the Bills offensive line and really ripped them a new one.
    They were showing how they were suppose to do slide protection but termed it as a cluster because not all the linemen were in sync thus causing them to bump into one another, three lineman blocked one linebacker, Dockery never slid, no hole for Lynch thus no gain.
    In another example they called it a back side cut where Walker to is suppose to do a backside cut of the LDE and he never did it thus causing the LDE running in not touched making the tackle for no gain even though they ran away from him.
    They said how the OL can not do the basics and are not doing things that Mouse McNally draws up. Considering how much they spent on the OL it sure is disappointing to see them not perform better.
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Re: AFC Playbook on Bills Offensive line

Originally posted by don137
    Not sure if anyone caught the analysis on NFL Network's show AFC Playbook where they break down film and use it for the week's upcoming games. They did analysis of the Bills offensive line and really ripped them a new one.
    They were showing how they were suppose to do slide protection but termed it as a cluster because not all the linemen were in sync thus causing them to bump into one another, three lineman blocked one linebacker, Dockery never slid, no hole for Lynch thus no gain.
    In another example they called it a back side cut where Walker to is suppose to do a backside cut of the LDE and he never did it thus causing the LDE running in not touched making the tackle for no gain even though they ran away from him.
    They said how the OL can not do the basics and are not doing things that Mouse McNally draws up. Considering how much they spent on the OL it sure is disappointing to see them not perform better.
    About time somebody noticed that our line still sucks on rushing plays.

Comment

• mysticsoto
      Too sober for this...
      • Apr 2004

I don't think our Oline sucks, but I don't think they are doing as good as they should be and I've been saying this to my friends for a few weeks now. I'm not impressed with them and I feel I should be...

Comment

• raphael120
        Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
        • Oct 2005

When they're getting paid as much as they are and this is how they're playing, they suck.

When theyre street FA's like last year and theyre playing like this, then that's fine, because not much is expected of them anyways. But Im sorry, this is pitiful. Run blocking should be easier for these big guys.

Comment

• streetkings01
          • Jul 2006

It's wass pretty sad to watch actually! There was also a few chuckles from Brian and Sterling which made it even worse!
          You can call me streetkings

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by don137
            Yeah I saw that segment by Brian Baldinger showing how blocks were missed. Actually the second play you are reffering to it was the TE that was supposed to make the backside cut and missed not Walker. He said Walker got his man and the TE wiffed. Either way theres some serious OL issues with regards to run blocking. Im curious to know if its due to being beat man for man or if its a timing/cohesion thing. I have the tape of the last 2 games so ill have a look see.

The other thing to note though is that we have been playing 3-4 teams. The difference is that if you are a new OL with no chemistry the 3-4 is a difficult scheme to run block against cuz deciding who's responsibility is where is the challenge which is cured by the time the OL spends together. When you play a 4-3 defense its pretty straight forward, beat the guy in front of you which I think our OL would excel at considering their size and run blocking ability.

I think were also running a zone blocking scheme now similar to washington. Can anyone confirm that? If thats the case it will take time for them to get it down.

Comment

• jpdex12
              • Jan 2005

How long have we had McNally and how long has our lined struggled? Too long! He needs to go regardless of his history and persona.
              Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jpdex12
                How long have we had McNally and how long has our lined struggled? Too long! He needs to go regardless of his history and persona.
                Yep, time to move on.

Comment

• jpdex12
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                  Yep, time to move on.
                  Sometimes you can blame the player and sometimes you can't. Sometimes you can blame the coach and sometimes you can't.

We have to look at how many players we have had on the o-line in the last 5 years. If you can't get the right combo in 5 years then it's the coach not the players. It's hard to understand because Mouse has such a great history but maybe he is getting burned out and it just riding the gravy train of a salary.

We have talent on the line now, they just have to be coached according to their skills and the right style of blocking scheme. I think that our scheme isn't right. There are too many things that can go wrong in a zone blocking scheme. You need very experienced and knowlegable linemen to run this. If you run man up instead then you only have to worry about the guy acrossed from you or the guy you are supposed to block and if the run fails usually you know exactly who f-ed up. Maybe we need to readjust the scheme even though it slows down growth and chemistry.

The sixth day of class in Bob Davie's Football 101 season-long course breaks down zone blocking.
                  Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• bigbub2352
                    • Feb 2005

Man this is a sad year to be a Bills fan!
                    XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

If we have to sacrifice some production over the next couple of weeks in order to adopt a superior run blocking system then im all for it. The other thing we have to consider is that this is the first year McNally actually has some talen to work with. Lets give him the season to get these guys on track.

Comment

• circlethewagons
                        • Dec 2005

Completly unexceptable for the only unit we spent significant money on in the offseason. I really thought wed be able to run the ball this year- especially behind dockery and peters- hasnt happened yet, but if were gonna win many more games they have to step up

Comment

• RedEyE
                          • Jul 2002

Short of maybe Indy's line, you can find the same footage from 2 or 3 plays for every other Oline in the league. Defensive lines stunts create confusion. It happens every single game to every single team. That's why defenses use them.

The Bills are in the spot light right now for various reasons, and are giving anal-cysts something to look at - just time to fill on their meaningless shows. Another opportunity to prove to the world how much better they are then everyone else.

I also saw the segement and I see that no one here pointed out how they commended the line on the very 1st play from scrimmage, allowing Lynch to hit the second tier. This team has some bright spots yet everyone is so focused on illuminatinig the negative.

Comment

• EDS
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by RedEyE
                            Short of maybe Indy's line, you can find the same footage from 2 or 3 plays for every other Oline in the league. Defensive lines stunts create confusion. It happens every single game to every single team. That's why defenses use them.

The Bills are in the spot light right now for various reasons, and are giving anal-cysts something to look at - just time to fill on their meaningless shows. Another opportunity to prove to the world how much better they are then everyone else.

I also saw the segement and I see that no one here pointed out how they commended the line on the very 1st play from scrimmage, allowing Lynch to hit the second tier. This team has some bright spots yet everyone is so focused on illuminatinig the negative.
                            I think you may be missing the point. Of course the Bills o-line has good plays, just as they have bad ones. The problem is that the Bills have not run the ball well in the aggregate when you take the whole season into account. For evidence of this you need look no further then the average yards the team gains per rush. Even a talented guy like Lynch can't maintain a league average ypc.

The Bills brass spent a huge amount of money in the off-season to upgrade the line. This unit should be a strength but that has not been the case. Hopefully two weeks of practice and working together will result in improved play.

Comment

• Mahdi
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by RedEyE

Of course we can put together a tape of blunders on any team and point to how bad they are, but in this case its accurate. The bills OL have not run blocked well and it has showed. I have rarely seen Lynch get a clear path to the second level without having to dodge guys in the backfield or at the LOS. He is getting some really tough yards. Im actually worried about his health at this point. He's taking a beating to get his yards.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍