PDA

View Full Version : Don Banks comments on Losman/Edwards

BSU Drew
10-19-2007, 07:27 PM
I think it'll be readily apparent by the end this season -- and possibly even by Thanksgiving -- that the Bills consider rookie quarterback Trent Edwards their guy going forward. And that will mean that former first-round pick J.P. Losman will get the same treatment that Drew Bledsoe received from Buffalo before Losman's second season: It'll be thanks for the memories time. The Bills will shop Losman around the league and try to recoup in trade the third-round pick they spent to draft Edwards out of Stanford this year. That could be more than the market will bear for Losman, but the fourth-year veteran is still young enough that some quarterback-challenged team might find it a reasonable price.
The Bills coaching staff is very high on Edwards' combination of poise and intelligence, with some of its members believing that he was the best quarterback in the draft this year. Buffalo was ecstatic to find him still there in the third round, and the selection signaled that the Bills wanted another youthful option at the position because Losman had not yet erased doubts about his franchise quarterback status.
For whatever reason, it doesn't seem like Losman and the Bills are going to have a long-term marriage. He has made strides in some areas of maturation as a pocket quarterback. In the early days, Losman would take off and scramble at the drop of a hat after looking no further than his primary receiver.
But the Bills aren't convinced he's ever going to be as consistent and efficient as they'd like. At the end of year four, with Edwards showing promise, the odds of Buffalo cutting its losses with Losman are good. Losman will likely quickly sum up his situation this season and ask the team to help him seek a fresh start elsewhere in 2008.

Hmmmmm.. How soon do we trade him??

Bills4Life83
10-19-2007, 07:31 PM
I think this might be for the best.

YardRat
10-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Banks is riding Carucci's coat-tails...He mentioned the trade scenario this past Tuesday on local radio.

If Edwards does turn out to be the guy, Losman has to be traded.

OpIv37
10-19-2007, 08:11 PM
If Edwards does turn out to be the guy, Losman has to be traded.

seems rather obvious though, doesn't it? Losman's not gonna warm the bench if he has the potential to start somewhere else. First, Edwards has to prove he's the guy, but if that plays out, well, any idiot can figure out what happens next.

Mr. Cynical
10-19-2007, 08:14 PM
"And that will mean that former first-round pick J.P. Losman will get the same treatment that Drew Bledsoe received from Buffalo before Losman's second season: It'll be thanks for the memories time."

At least it didn't cost us over $21M and a first rounder this time around.

Stewie
10-19-2007, 08:17 PM
1. the trading deadling passed
2. we gave up a 1st, 3rd and 5th for losman
3. either that article is really old or don banks really really sucks at his job.

camelcowboy
10-19-2007, 08:18 PM
lets get past the ravens first,

im4bflo
10-19-2007, 08:22 PM
:popcorn:

Night Train
10-19-2007, 08:35 PM
Edwards is now the guy but now, it's based on the $$ Losman is seeking on his next contract. Not because Edwards has rung up impressive numbers and wins.

Against Dallas, the O accounted for 3 points after being handed unreal field position on turnovers. That BLOWS but the Coaching is so horrid that it's hard to get a true measure on anything, at present.

im4bflo
10-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Edwards is now the guy but now, it's based on the $$ Losman is seeking on his next contract. Not because Edwards has rung up impressive numbers and wins.

Against Dallas, the O accounted for 3 points after being handed unreal field position on turnovers. That BLOWS but the Coaching is so horrid that it's hard to get a true measure on anything, at present.

:up: :popcorn:

billsburgh
10-19-2007, 08:45 PM
"And that will mean that former first-round pick J.P. Losman will get the same treatment that Drew Bledsoe received from Buffalo before Losman's second season: It'll be thanks for the memories time."

At least it didn't cost us over $21M and a first rounder this time around.
but it did really cost more because they spent a 1st and whatever it was to trade back (a 2nd and 4th ?) up in the first to draft him in the first place. And who know how much he's made so far but I'm sure it outweighs his performance so far.

Mr. Cynical
10-19-2007, 09:08 PM
but it did really cost more because they spent a 1st and whatever it was to trade back (a 2nd and 4th ?) up in the first to draft him in the first place. And who know how much he's made so far but I'm sure it outweighs his performance so far.
Let's take a look....

(DISCLAIMER - I'm not saying this is 100% correct - someone can check and prove it wrong)

With the Bledsoe trade the Cheatriots got Ty Warren with our pick, who is and has been a starter for them since 2004.

With Losman, they traded our 2005 1st rounder and our 2004 2nd and 5th (I think). If we had kept our #1, the QBs available to us would have been Aaron Rodgers and Jason Campbell.

So yeah, either way it looks like TD proved he was an AWFUL GM, hence I don't see too many teams lining up to take him. :D

SABURZFAN
10-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Hmmmmm.. How soon do we trade him??

not soon enough.

SABURZFAN
10-19-2007, 09:10 PM
the O accounted for 3 points after being handed unreal field position on turnovers. That BLOWS but the Coaching is so horrid that it's hard to get a true measure on anything, at present.

that's 3 more points than we would have gotten out of Lossman.

Akhippo
10-19-2007, 09:20 PM
If we can get a third and fourth for Losman we would break even. Which would be a pretty good coup if that would happen. If Edwards plays well you have to move JP.
I think TE can be in the same mold as Carson Palmer. Poised and capable. Yet not quite in the make something out of nothing mold as Brady and Manning.
That would put Buffalo in a good situation if they can get anything out of trading JP.
Detroit, Chicago, Green Bay, Jets, Atlanta, KC, Rams, and Vikings seem like they would be interested in a qb.
I think KC would be an ideal sale. With maybe Atlanta and Detroit needing one also.

Typ0
10-19-2007, 09:26 PM
I hope he goes to Miami.

im4bflo
10-19-2007, 09:29 PM
I hope he goes to Miami.

now that would be interesting!

SABURZFAN
10-19-2007, 09:29 PM
I hope he goes to Miami.

good place for him. :bf1:

Oaf
10-20-2007, 02:12 AM
All that is fine; if we gave JP a chance to remind of last year and he failed.

shelby
10-20-2007, 07:50 AM
Guys, keep it football related.
If you want to rag on each other, take it to PMs or the Smack Zone.
Thank you.

Stewie
10-20-2007, 08:07 AM
...and it's still past the trading deadline.

acehole
10-20-2007, 09:08 AM
seems rather obvious though, doesn't it? Losman's not gonna warm the bench if he has the potential to start somewhere else. First, Edwards has to prove he's the guy, but if that plays out, well, any idiot can figure out what happens next.

Why is it when I agree with Op I feel like I have turned to the dark side....

TacklingDummy
10-20-2007, 11:18 AM
JP Losman the 11th ranked passer last year if traded next year would goto a new place and shine.

SABURZFAN
10-20-2007, 11:51 AM
JP Losman the 11th ranked passer last year if traded next year would goto a new place and shine.

i didn't think that was possible for this years clipboard holder.

juice
10-20-2007, 12:00 PM
JP Losman the 11th ranked passer last year if traded next year would goto a new place and shine.It's just the RBs that go elsewhere and shine.. Ex-Bill QBs usually leave and suffer a slow death.

TacklingDummy
10-20-2007, 12:17 PM
You 2 guys are just known "JP Haters". It's not JPs fault that this coaching staff is holding him down. JP has ton of "potential", his bomb passes to Lee Evans last year were things of beauty. He improved so much at the end of last year that he finished 11th in QB rating.

Don't you remember that 5 yard bomb JP threw to Parrish that Parrish took to the house for a 51 yard TD reception against the Jets?

Or the Ravens game last year where JP and Lee hooked up for an 44 yard TD reception? Yes, I know, the Corner Back fell down but it was still a thing of beauty.

YardRat
10-20-2007, 12:57 PM

Carrucci broke out his comments Tuesday AM...before the trade deadline and before (for all we know, anyway) the decision was made on the starter.

SABURZFAN
10-20-2007, 01:03 PM
You 2 guys are just known "JP Haters". It's not JPs fault that this coaching staff is holding him down.

:laughter:

TigerJ
10-20-2007, 08:21 PM
That's how I see it too. It's not brain surgery.