PDA

View Full Version : GW's contract

Mr. Miyagi
03-26-2003, 12:32 PM
Interesting take on why GW hasn't had a contract extension.

"Who’s to say Donahoe didn’t already offer Williams an extension, and that it was turned down by Williams? All this time, we’re assuming Donahoe hasn’t made the offer, but that may not be the story.

Although Williams made some mistakes his rookie season by trusting coaching buddies with a lack of NFL experience, he does have some smarts.
He hasn’t objected to the additions of more experienced coaches, and, in fact, may have initiated the moves to bring in people like Gilbride and Steckel.

And maybe, just maybe, he even looked at what he might have on the field for the final year of his contract, and decided to “go for it.” Roll the dice.

It makes sense. What kind of raise could he expect coming off 3-13 and 8-8 seasons if he agreed to an extension now? A raise you and I would love, no doubt, but compared to the new deal he can command if the Bills make the playoffs and make any kind of run at all?"

http://www.wgrz.com:8080/sports/sportsfull.asp?id=13139

justasportsfan
03-26-2003, 01:04 PM
It's going to be an incentive based contract. The more he get's them coaches challenge right, the better the $ :D

TacklingDummy
03-26-2003, 01:09 PM
Why would you offer a guy a extension that was 3-13 and 8-8? Extensions are offered to Coachs that go 10-6, 11-5,12-4 etc...

GW has made many mistakes in both years that he has coached Buffalo. From hiring friends for coaches to Punting on the 30 to going for 2 when you didn't need to.

There was enough talent on the Bills last year to make the playoffs. And next year looks like there will be even more talent. So when the Bills don't make the playoffs who are people going to blame?

Pride
03-26-2003, 01:14 PM
I agree. The team had Wild Card written all over it last year.

This year, we WILL make the playoffs, but not because of GW.

We will NOT get to the AFC Championship game as long as GW is here.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I just dont think he is a born coach.

One positive though, these players have played for him every game in two subpar years.

Buffarama
03-26-2003, 02:23 PM
Its not the number of games they lost last year, its how they lost them. And a lot of the ways they lost some games were due directly to some inconsistent decisions he made.
Same this year. If he goes 9-7 but they should have been 11-5 because of bone head decisons, he should get axed.
Contrawise, if they win a couple extra games because of his coaching prowess, which has yet to be seen I think, then he should get another contract with a reasonable record. The table is set up for him to only fail this year though, below .500 is not an option.

kgun12
03-26-2003, 03:56 PM
I guess I don't see ALL the mistakes, actually TACKLINGDUMMY as you said

Qouted by Tackling Dummy
"GW has made many mistakes in both years that he has coached Buffalo. From hiring friends for coaches to Punting on the 30 to going for 2 when you didn't need to."

Name ALL the other mistrakes! I think to many people are forgetting just how BAD this team was the 1st year GW took over. If it was for the trade for Drew, we would have been lucky to finish 5-11!

TacklingDummy
03-26-2003, 07:41 PM
If I had all 32 games on tape that GW has coached I would be happy to name ALL of his mistakes.

Can you name me all the mistakes Wade made when he was here? I'd rather have Wade as the Bills coach. If I remember correctly Wade did not have a losing season as our coach.

Tatonka
03-26-2003, 09:51 PM
wade phillips told our team that they had no chance to make the playoffs when they actually had a decent chance .. right before a sunday night game against indy.. and they promptly went out and got owned..

f that guy.

he also wouldnt fire his suck ass assistant coach.

Buffarama
03-27-2003, 09:04 AM
Wade, even my mother made fun of him.

SABURZFAN
03-27-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by TacklingDummy
If I had all 32 games on tape that GW has coached I would be happy to name ALL of his mistakes.

speaking of 32,i'd start with THE PUNT when it was 4th and 2 at the PATS 32.

TacklingDummy
03-27-2003, 11:15 AM
LMAO

TedMock
03-27-2003, 11:51 AM
He improved drastically in his second year. There were 2 real stand out bad calls and everybody harps on them. Pride stated that the players always played for him, that's reason enough to give him a FAIR shot. He came into a real crap situation 2 seasons ago that nobody can deny. Wade gave up when we weren't mathematically out, that's unforgiveable. Bad decisions will happen and hopefully you learn from them but quitting is just inexcusable. There's no excuses for this year, he has a good coaching staff around him and a much more talented team than when he came to Buffalo. He also has experience under his belt. We'll see.