PDA

View Full Version : The difference between Losman and Edward

ghz in pittsburgh
10-21-2007, 08:36 PM
in the first failed 4th down play at the Bills endzone? There a Raven receiver/TE open for a couple of seconds in the end zone before a Bills defender moved in. Boller threw late and went for incompletion.

Right there, the difference between Losman and Edward. Losman, like Kelly wrote in his BuffaloBills.com two weeks ago, has a stronger arm and tends to wait a little longer for a receiver to be completely open before he throws. In short to medium range, the "open" has a small window. because of the defenders around. One needs to anticipate better and makes decision fast. For long balls, it's less of a window; if a receiver is open, he's usually going to be open for a touchdown. The job of a QB in that case is more on making a quality throw to get the ball to him. And Losman is already one of the best in NFL in that area.

However, the long balls take time to develop and require a lot of things to come together (thus has a far less completion percentage). So it's more of a hit or miss. The short ones can be done a lot more consistently, and it requires a lot less from your blockers. That is probably the biggest reason that an Edward-led offense looked a lot more stable and consistent than a Losman one. Coaches love consistency. Belichick peferred Brady over Bledsoe, though Brady in the last 4 years has improved his arm strength and long balls a great deal to be a complete QB.

At this point, I believe Losman is a better QB than Edward overall (undertsanding of the offense, experience, reading defense, mechanics), but Edward has the edge in poise and anticiptaion, resulting delivering consistent short to medium range throws. The special thing is: he's rookie! Usually for a rookie, you see inexperience and mistakes aplenty, like the INT today where he anticipated Evans to cut in a little sooner than Evans actually did. The fact that he was able to cut those mistakes to one or two plays a game is pretty amazing, and he has put the ball up 20+ times a game.

Losman has been in the league for 4 years, started close to 30 games. He can still improve but you should have a pretty good idea about him. Edward, in my opinion, has almost a Roethlisberger start of his career except he didn't have a defense like Roethlisberger enjoyed in Pittsburgh. We won't know how he would turn out eventually but common sense is that with playing, he should be able to improve. I can't help but to think the Bills organization has the same common sense.

The way Losman has improved the last half season, he might continue that trend and be a good QB in this league. But Edward so far has showed he might have a better potential. I don't buy into those "all he does is manage the game." It took Dilfer almost an NFL career to become a game manager. And both Brady and Roethlisberger started out their career as game managers. IT IS SPECIAL FOR A ROOKIE TO BE A CAPABLE GAME MANAGER.

SABURZFAN
10-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Edwards still has a lot of things to work on in his game.he just needs the repetitions.

pintonick96
10-21-2007, 10:14 PM
He needs to get rid of his tunnel vision and check his second and third receivers.

Tatonka
10-21-2007, 11:11 PM
very good post.. i never looked at it quite like that.. but i see what your saying completely.

it still sucks to think that we probably are too far gone this season to do any real damage and have a shot at the playoffs.. if only we got one of either the broncos or cowboys games.. ****.

Philagape
10-21-2007, 11:25 PM
Great post.

Mitchy moo
10-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Wow, great post.

acehole
10-21-2007, 11:40 PM
Edwards has more ints then Td's. One game changing..the otherallmost sealed the deal for the opposing team. The kid isnt ready.

Meathead
10-21-2007, 11:54 PM
if only we got one of either the broncos or cowboys games..
thats what it always comes down to, one or two plays a season that determine whether most teams make the playoffs

dont let edwards pass and take the ez fg thats a win

dont try a bomb to evans when youre trying to run seconds off the clock thats a win

that turns for example a 7-9 or 8-8 season and early tee times into 9-7 or 10-6 and a shot at the playoffs

thats why you cant have a coach who has brainfarts at critical moments and shoots the team in the foot even once a season let alone two three or four times

jmb1099
10-22-2007, 09:48 AM
Just a couple of thoughts...
Edwards usually does look at all the options on the field. The one time he didn't he got burned.
Edwards does need work, but he is a legitimate rookie and as far as I can tell gets a bit better each game. No we didn't score a lot of touchdowns, but we did have numerous scoring drives against a defense that is still very decent.
Edwards hit Evans for a pretty decent gain yesterday not to mention the pass interference call that was 45 yards. He may not have the canon losman does, but he doesn't have the squirt gun Pennington has.
Edwards plays smart: I may be wrong, but I don't see where Edwards has lost any fumbles or taken an excessive amount of sacks. He also usually throws the ball away when he can't find anyone open.

All this being said, I am not looking to find fault with Losman. It was mentioned more than once yesterday that one of the problems we have in the red zone is our receiving corps. They are fast, but they are small. For either qb to be truly successful we are going to have to get some receivers that have some height and size. To see evidence of this watch the Patriots highlights and see Randy Moss make Brady look good.

baalworship
10-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Losman still has value and the Bills should be able to get a pretty good draft pick for him. He was never used properly here.

I do like Edwards and he does remind me a lot of Tom Brady when he first came into the league. Very accurate and poised.

The Bills don't have many weapons on offense and next year we really need to get a big possession WR and a TE that can catch.