PDA

View Full Version : Edwards = Delhomme

Mr. Cynical
10-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Even though TE is a rook, I see some similarities already. Neither guy is gonna make you jump off your couch and go "YEEAH BOY!". They are boring to watch and aren't going to make great plays very often, if at all. But as game managers they both can get the job done.

As long as the D plays well and our running game gets 100 yds, it's possible this team may get back to .500 this year.

Oops. My bad. Dick is still coach. Forget what I just said.

:sorry:

Mitchy moo
10-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Even though TE is a rook, I see some similarities already. Neither guy is gonna make you jump off your couch and go "YEEAH BOY!". They are boring to watch and aren't going to make great plays very often, if at all. But as game managers they both can get the job done.

As long as the D plays well and our running game gets 100 yds, it's possible this team may get back to .500 this year.

Will you change the blimp photo if the Bills get back to .500 with a chance at the playoffs this season??

gr8slayer
10-21-2007, 11:06 PM
God I hope not.

TheBrownBear
10-21-2007, 11:09 PM
Delhomme's a good qb. We haven't had anyone as good as Delhomme since Kelly. I'll take these numbers (yeah, i know i'll get some ridiculous Bledsoe comparison now...)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4555/career;_ylt=Ahwn3XtQeojuwsvce_8ptp7.uLYF

Jaybird
10-21-2007, 11:11 PM
2 very different style qb's. c'mon boys smarten up

TheBrownBear
10-21-2007, 11:16 PM

You could certainly be right. It's entirely possible that Edwards turns out to be a game manager like Phil Simms, Hostetler, Rothlisberger, Brad Johnson, Mark Rypien, etc. You don't always need a savior qb to win a championship. You need a good team and a qb that doesn't make critical mistakes and makes enough plays to win games.

Maybe Edwards gets to this level...maybe he doesn't. But I think three games into his career is a little early to be drawing any hard conclusions about his overall career upside.

ajsdx
10-21-2007, 11:17 PM
Being from NC and having watched a lot of his games, Delhomme definitely makes some "YEAAAHHH BOY" plays. He's got a good arm. He just makes too many stupid plays.

Philagape
10-21-2007, 11:23 PM
If only Evans were as good as Steve Smith ......

PECKERWOOD
10-21-2007, 11:28 PM
Reminds me of Bulger, Pennington or Matt Schaub type of QB.

gr8slayer
10-21-2007, 11:32 PM
If only Evans were as good as Steve Smith ......
If only Fairchild was as good as Davidson.

gr8slayer
10-21-2007, 11:33 PM
Ugh, we're ****ed.....

PECKERWOOD
10-21-2007, 11:38 PM
Ugh, we're ****ed.....

lol!

What's wrong with Pennington, Bulger and Schaub? I like all of those QB's. TE reminds me of Pennington the most, but with a stronger arm.

acehole
10-21-2007, 11:43 PM
So Edwards got the job done? Dont stink up the place so bad and win? This the kind of Qb ing we are throwing JP under the bus for? No koolaid for me thanks....

PECKERWOOD
10-21-2007, 11:47 PM
So Edwards got the job done? Dont stink up the place so bad and win? This the kind of Qb ing we are throwing JP under the bus for? No koolaid for me thanks....

The problem is, JP would never come through with the W. I'm not trying to crown TE but for a rook you gotta admit that straight out of the box he is already able to seriously compete with Losman. I think that TE could have easily had 2 more TD's if Evans didn't bobble that catch and if Parrish wasn't interfered with. It could have easily been 2 TD's and 1 pick.

STAMPY
10-21-2007, 11:51 PM
some of you guys are ******s. the dude has started 3 games and you are already saying who he is and what his limits are. dude is a rookie that is playing well and learning at same time. drop the glass ceiling comparisons

ArcticWildMan
10-21-2007, 11:53 PM
So far I'd compare Edwards to the Trent Dilfer that helped win a Super Bowl (I say "the Trent Dilfer" because he hasn't had much of chance to show if he could maintain that level since). Neither are glamorous and neither will set records but they do manage the game and can help the team to win. While not the gunslinger that many here seem to want, you can still win a SB with that kind of player.

Anybody who expects a rookie QB that has played a whopping 3.5 games with a new offensive line, a rookie RB, a WR corps that is the equivalent of other teams 3rd string players to put up Brady or Manning numbers just isn't being realistic.

camelcowboy
10-22-2007, 12:35 AM
So Edwards got the job done? Dont stink up the place so bad and win? This the kind of Qb ing we are throwing JP under the bus for? No koolaid for me thanks.... If TE=delhomme then that must mean losman=Carr. No one threw JP under the bus he played himself out of a job, Edwards is better and he's a rookie, your going to have to deal.

YardRat
10-22-2007, 05:25 AM
The very fact that a snot-nosed rookie fresh out of college is embroiled in a QB controversy with a veteran in his fourth year in the league speaks volumes about both players.

Johnny Bugmenot
10-22-2007, 06:18 AM
This the kind of Qb ing we are throwing JP under the bus for?

We threw this guy under the bus for Kelly Holcomb (for crying out loud, Holcomb!), mind you, and Holcomb is not as good as Edwards (nor does he have the upside).

If the guy wins games, yes, we're "throwing JP under the bus" because you know what? JP stinks. Simple as that. At least Edwards can move the ball more than two plays a game, and now he's shown that he has long-ball potential. If you think Losman still has a future in this league, then the fact of the matter is YOU ARE DRINKING KOOL-AID whether you realize it or not.

End of rant.

don137
10-22-2007, 06:54 AM
Edwards and Delhomme are not good comparisons at all. Since I love football and live in Charlotte now I have season tickets to the Panthers. Delhomme is a vertical passer who loves to throw deep to his WRs. One of his knocks is he takes too many risks with his deep throws and does not use his TE much. Edwards does not go vertical much and likes to go to his TE. Edwards does not take many chances with his throws. Edwards is more of a efficient passer. Edwards is more compared to Pennington and Montana and his skills is somewhere in between but right now closer to Pennington than Montana but he is still young.

acehole
10-22-2007, 06:57 AM
The problem is, JP would never come through with the W. I'm not trying to crown TE but for a rook you gotta admit that straight out of the box he is already able to seriously compete with Losman. I think that TE could have easily had 2 more TD's if Evans didn't bobble that catch and if Parrish wasn't interfered with. It could have easily been 2 TD's and 1 pick.I dont admit anything...and could a shuolda woulda....we dont make excuses here...we are not aloud.

acehole
10-22-2007, 06:58 AM
If TE=delhomme then that must mean losman=Carr. No one threw JP under the bus he played himself out of a job, Edwards is better and he's a rookie, your going to have to deal.

I dont see it...sorry.

acehole
10-22-2007, 07:00 AM
The very fact that a snot-nosed rookie fresh out of college is embroiled in a QB controversy with a veteran in his fourth year in the league speaks volumes about both players.

Not really. Our starter got hurt...our 2nd string came in.

acehole
10-22-2007, 07:02 AM
We threw this guy under the bus for Kelly Holcomb (for crying out loud, Holcomb!), mind you, and Holcomb is not as good as Edwards (nor does he have the upside).

If the guy wins games, yes, we're "throwing JP under the bus" because you know what? JP stinks. Simple as that. At least Edwards can move the ball more than two plays a game, and now he's shown that he has long-ball potential. If you think Losman still has a future in this league, then the fact of the matter is YOU ARE DRINKING KOOL-AID whether you realize it or not.

End of rant.

Sorry I dont see that JP was that bad or Edwards was that good. Fact is we won the game last night in spite of him not because of him.

The Jokeman
10-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Edwards and Delhomme are not good comparisons at all. Since I love football and live in Charlotte now I have season tickets to the Panthers. Delhomme is a vertical passer who loves to throw deep to his WRs. One of his knocks is he takes too many risks with his deep throws and does not use his TE much. Edwards does not go vertical much and likes to go to his TE. Edwards does not take many chances with his throws. Edwards is more of a efficient passer. Edwards is more compared to Pennington and Montana and his skills is somewhere in between but right now closer to Pennington than Montana but he is still young.
I posted this elsewhere but still holds true. I've always likened Delhomme to Jim Kelly. In both are pretty accurate with above average arm strength but at times try to force things that result in costly interceptions. Also both are helped by playing with quality WRs to. I wouldn't compare Edwards to either one. As I haven't seen enough of him to make a valid comparison. All I know is he seems to seems make quicker decisions then Losman and has a better short passing game. The one thing that worries me about him though is he doesn't do to well with pressure in his face and seems to take big hits, which might have lead to his inability to stay healthy at Stanford. If he could learn to side step to avoid the rush he'll be that much better. Some have compared him to RJ in that respect but feel RJ was a better scrambler as don't see Edwards leaving the pocket and running too much.

Johnny Bugmenot
10-22-2007, 08:16 AM
Sorry I dont see that JP was that bad

There goes all your credibility.

Go back and look at all the games where JP threw for less than 100 yards.

Either you're blind, you're not seeing the same games I did, or you're just plain nuts.

Mr. Cynical
10-23-2007, 11:17 PM
Will you change the blimp photo if the Bills get back to .500 with a chance at the playoffs this season??

The blimp stays until we win a playoff game. So far Dick has had 1 winning season out of 7 and an 0-1 playoff record. Until both are improved, the future is still a disaster IMO.

Mr. Cynical
10-23-2007, 11:19 PM

I can see that...

SABURZFAN
10-24-2007, 12:59 AM
Being from NC and having watched a lot of his games, Delhomme definitely makes some "YEAAAHHH BOY" plays. He's got a good arm. He just makes too many stupid plays.

Edwards has made his share of stupid plays too.

ajsdx
10-24-2007, 01:52 AM
Edwards has made his share of stupid plays too.

Yeah, no question about it. But they're different styles of QB. Delhomme lives and dies by slinging balls around. When he lives, it's spectacular and you can get to the Super Bowl. When he dies, it's horrendous and makes you want to bring in guys like David Carr. Edwards isn't like that (at least I don't think so).

billser
10-24-2007, 03:12 AM
People are gonna talk smack, and im not in any way saying hes as good....but Trent reminds me of Brady when he first got started. I remember people woudl question his arm strength as well and,for the most part, he lived by the short game with a bunch of screen passes and short passes to the TE and such. Also, Bradys positives were how smart he played and how poised he looked in the pocket. Trents game is all about smarts, more so than physical attributes.

Night Train
10-24-2007, 04:23 AM
People are gonna talk smack, and im not in any way saying hes as good....but Trent reminds me of Brady when he first got started. I remember people woudl question his arm strength as well and,for the most part, he lived by the short game with a bunch of screen passes and short passes to the TE and such. Also, Bradys positives were how smart he played and how poised he looked in the pocket. Trents game is all about smarts, more so than physical attributes.

Delhomme is closer to JP than he is to Edwards (making plays on the run). Edwards has little to no mobility and can be easy neutralized with a blitz up the middle. He'll learn (I hope ) to get rid of the ball when seeing that but the coaches need to help him work towards his strengths.

Edwards would seem to thrive if he had a good pass catching TE, not to mention a good #2 WR. That's why the Everett injury was bigger than many think. He looked like a guy they were ready to use a lot this season and Edwards would have looked for him more than JP.

In the meantime, just let him gain experience and find him a couple more weapons next year.

Carlton Bailey
10-24-2007, 04:29 AM

Exactly. I still remember vividly how everyone used to mock Brady for only throwing screen passes and short to his tight ends. Once the Pats loosened the reins, they found out he has a hell of an arm. Similar situation with Edwards.