PDA

View Full Version : A tough decision at QB

X-Era
10-22-2007, 06:49 AM
Im firmly in support of Edwards but this is two games in a row without a throwing TD, and two games with big interceptions.

Im a bit concerned about his arm strength as well. Our best WR is a deep threat and we should have a QB that can get the ball too him.

don137
10-22-2007, 06:57 AM
Edwards still has a lot of learning and growing to do. He has made some mistakes but he is still very smart for a QB. I am hoping as his confidence grows he will go more vertical. This will help open up the running game.

Mitchy moo
10-22-2007, 07:03 AM
We played one of the best D's in the league and won. You have to weigh that into the equation that they didn't get there by accident. We are also playing a rookie QB w/ more poise than anyone I have seen play QB in 10 years for the Bills and he is only a handful of games in.

We are going to torch the Jets this week and this will be a non-issue. The Ravens had given up 10 total points in their last 2 games (7 / 3).

acehole
10-22-2007, 07:06 AM
We played one of the best D's in the league and won. You have to weigh that into the equation that they didn't get there by accident. We are also playing a rookie QB w/ more poise than anyone I have seen play QB in 10 years for the Bills and he is only a handful of games in.

We are going to torch the Jets this week and this will be a non-issue. No one and I mena no one has crushed the Ravens this year.

We dont wiegh anything skoob remember excuses excuses?
Seems to be fair that we should not make any for edwards either.
We won that game inspite of him not because....

11-21, 158 yards, 1 crucial int, no TD, 23% conversions on 3rd /

acehole
10-22-2007, 07:07 AM

We are going to torch the Jets this week and this will be a non-issue. No one and I mena no one has crushed the Ravens this year.

You might be right about the above.....but you might be suprised about which qb does it.

Mitchy moo
10-22-2007, 07:07 AM

We won the game and he is learning, 2 things that make us better. You need to check how many yards Baltimore gave up each game this year. We're not too far from the average passing yards they allow, pretty close actually. From a running standpoint we on or above the average so all in all not bad. I didn't plan on us rolling them easily, their too good on D for that.

Mitchy moo
10-22-2007, 07:14 AM
You might be right about the above.....but you might be suprised about which qb does it.

The only thing surprising me is that we are trying to judge a victory against a very good Defense as being a problem.

Don't Panic
10-22-2007, 07:16 AM
A win is a win... especially at this point.

Inetpub
10-22-2007, 07:26 AM
Im firmly in support of Edwards but this is two games in a row without a throwing TD, and two games with big interceptions.

Im a bit concerned about his arm strength as well. Our best WR is a deep threat and we should have a QB that can get the ball too him.
And yet, JP is losing his job while on the bench. I am a bit concerned JP Loserman will never play in the NFL again seeing as he has been such a morale booster and great leader. Winning us all those games I can count in 2 hands in 3 seasons. And being a great cheerleader on the field while pouting on the bench.

And dont forget his 5x100 or less yardage games. 1/6th of the losermans games have been 100 yards or less. Now you want to criticize about QBs? lol. Bringing a QB contraversy with JP Losman as artillery is like calling a duck a goat. Its still a duck.

TacklingDummy
10-22-2007, 07:39 AM

Change your screen name and jump off the JP bandwagon while you can.

EDS
10-22-2007, 07:46 AM

I don't remember there being a concern with Edwards from the scouting reports I read as far as arm strength. He isn't Farve certaintly but he isn't Pennington either, and in between there are alot of very successful NFL quarterbacks.

Mitchy moo
10-22-2007, 07:56 AM

Ravens set a team-record of five interceptions just last week, just a FYI.

DraftBoy
10-22-2007, 07:58 AM
I don't remember there being a concern with Edwards from the scouting reports I read as far as arm strength. He isn't Farve certaintly but he isn't Pennington either, and in between there are alot of very successful NFL quarterbacks.
Edwards can make all the throws, he cant thread the needle like a Vince Young can but he can throw deep, throw the out, the corner route, and the post.

Mitchy moo
10-22-2007, 08:02 AM
Edwards can make all the throws, he cant thread the needle like a Vince Young can but he can throw deep, throw the out, the corner route, and the post.

Where does everyone come up with this stuff?? This kid just ran a no huddle offense all game in his 3rd NFL start. Judging whether or not he can make thread the needle throws after 3 games is impossible.

EDS
10-22-2007, 08:02 AM

This is why I don't understand why people are questioning his arm strength. Half the starting QB's in the league have similar arm strength.

Question Edwards' performance and overall play, sure, but not his arm strength.

Mitchy moo
10-22-2007, 08:10 AM
This is why I don't understand why people are questioning his arm strength. Half the starting QB's in the league have similar arm strength.

You know we have to find a problem where there is none, welcome to Buffalo. Next thing we'll see is it was too breezy yesterday, even though it was a 70 degree breeze.

X-Era
10-22-2007, 08:41 AM

Because very few in the league have a WR with Evans's deep speed and great hands. I dont mind lesser arm strength but I dont think we should give up our deep threat option because our rookie cant get it to him.

He had a nice throw for 20+ to Evans over the middle (the bobbled catch) I will give him that. But he alos went for a long bomb to Evans a few games back and way underthrew it.

If starting Edwards means we are more productive on O, great. But that hasnt been the case at least in TD's, and I feel we give up our deep threat when we start Edwards. However, I will take game management over the home run ball any day of the week. He just needs to start scoring more and Im happy.

X-Era
10-22-2007, 08:44 AM

Taking it a bit farther:

Is starting Edwards like putting a guy who cant drive over 55mph in the seat of a dragster?

Why not trade Evans then for a big possession receiver. Why have a guy who's a proven deep threat on a team when your starting QB cant throw deep? It seems like a talent mismatch.

HHURRICANE
10-22-2007, 08:47 AM

After 3 starts I've seen enough. He's just not NFL material.

By the way, there will be 31 teams next year standing in line that may debate your theory but I'm with you.

We just can't win with Edwards.

justasportsfan
10-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Im firmly in support of Edwards but this is two games in a row without a throwing TD, and two games with big interceptions..
he'll get better.

I wonder if he can throw in decmber, against the wind.

Meathead
10-22-2007, 09:46 AM
YOU HAVE ABANDONED THE SAVIOR

you are voted off dream island

Meathead
10-22-2007, 09:46 AM
woe to you and the suckling children

trapezeus
10-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Taking it a bit farther:

Is starting Edwards like putting a guy who cant drive over 55mph in the seat of a dragster?

Why not trade Evans then for a big possession receiver. Why have a guy who's a proven deep threat on a team when your starting QB cant throw deep? It seems like a talent mismatch.

These kind of comments sound like the FOX news assessment on a democrat. How can you smear the kid about the long ball, when he went long 3 times. got the yards 2x. JP hasn't got it done. I like the guy and what he's done for the region. But he wasn't hitting the long ball consistantly this year. it's not like we are replacing Jim Kelly in his prime. JP has struggled. Every non-partisan NFL fan sees a lot of Boller in Losman. I bet JP could throw a 50 yard pass from his knees, but it doesn't really matter if you can't keep the chains moving.

Edwards came in after the McGahee touchdown, ran two insanely conservative plays as requested by his coaches. Then on 3rd and 8, with momentum ready to swing fully into Baltimore's favor, he completed an out pass to keep the drive alive. That drive ended up being Lynch's TD. The game winner, by the by. He keeps the job, and posts like the ones above need to come to an end.

justasportsfan
10-22-2007, 09:57 AM
. JP hasn't got it done. I like the guy and what he's done for the region. But he wasn't hitting the long ball consistantly this year. it's not like we are replacing Jim Kelly in his prime. JP has struggled. Every non-partisan NFL fan sees a lot of Boller in Losman. I bet JP could throw a 50 yard pass from his knees, but it doesn't really matter if you can't keep the chains moving.. how can he when A) the OL was still a work in progress especially in the passing game. b) Fairchild was making horrible calls the first 2 games. c) the first 2 games was all about getting to know the NEW players especially Lynch.

Edwards came in after the McGahee touchdown, ran two insanely conservative plays as requested by his coaches. .the players said the same thing about the first 2 games. Fairchild was conservative.

. Then on 3rd and 8, with momentum ready to swing fully into Baltimore's favor, he completed an out pass to keep the drive alive. That drive ended up being Lynch's TD. The game winner, by the by. He keeps the job, and posts like the ones above need to come to an end. JP has done that before.

X-Era
10-22-2007, 09:59 AM
These kind of comments sound like the FOX news assessment on a democrat. How can you smear the kid about the long ball, when he went long 3 times. got the yards 2x. JP hasn't got it done. I like the guy and what he's done for the region. But he wasn't hitting the long ball consistantly this year. it's not like we are replacing Jim Kelly in his prime. JP has struggled. Every non-partisan NFL fan sees a lot of Boller in Losman. I bet JP could throw a 50 yard pass from his knees, but it doesn't really matter if you can't keep the chains moving.

Edwards came in after the McGahee touchdown, ran two insanely conservative plays as requested by his coaches. Then on 3rd and 8, with momentum ready to swing fully into Baltimore's favor, he completed an out pass to keep the drive alive. That drive ended up being Lynch's TD. The game winner, by the by. He keeps the job, and posts like the ones above need to come to an end.

I fail to see any said "smear" by me. Im being critical thats it. As Ive said many times, I like him and what he has to offer us. Yes, he kept a drive alive but also had made bad decisions and also has failed in the red zone.

The point of my thread is not in anyway saying he stinks, he doesnt, I like him alot as a matter of fact. His decision making is way better than Losmans. Its only raising issues about him. Lets not go crazy and put words in my mouth.

trapezeus
10-22-2007, 10:20 AM
I fail to see any said "smear" by me. Im being critical thats it. As Ive said many times, I like him and what he has to offer us. Yes, he kept a drive alive but also had made bad decisions and also has failed in the red zone.

The point of my thread is not in anyway saying he stinks, he doesnt, I like him alot as a matter of fact. His decision making is way better than Losmans. Its only raising issues about him. Lets not go crazy and put words in my mouth.

Fair enough. i apologize for putting words in your mouth.

But i am reading this comments defending JP and his ability to throw the long ball. He didn't connect on them the first 2 weeks. IF he hits that Denver long throw, then maybe there is some fight. but he doesn't have a pass longer than 20 yards. Edwards does. Denver's defense actually isn't all that. Moving the ball on them is easier than what we made it seem.

And as fans, whenever the bills are behind, most fans just don't have the confidence that JP's going to move the ball again. Most of that is based on his 20+ games of not being able to handle adversity. You can disagree with that, but i truly felt that Edwards gives us the best chance to win right now (which is a little damning to Losman), and the best chance to win long term. Someone said in a different post that game managers at a young age actually tend to turn out better in the long run.

A couple bad picks have occured for TE. But if we jump down the coaches throats on conservatism holding back JP, you have to give trent the same slack. Prior to his pick, the bills ran straight up the middle twice. And then they came a two WR set on an obvious passing down. Had they tried a pass on second down and kept the D honest, the likelihood of that pick drops by a lot.

I just think the JP has been given every chance and he's failed. Edwards has the same lack of coaching, but for the most part plays very effectively. 1 pick a game by a rookie QB is not a terrible thing. If we were talking about 2 3 4 picks, then yes, Edwards is very early in his development.

This offense isn't designed to score a ton of TD's through the air or ground. But the QB can help by moving the chains, keeping the D on the field, and getting points when available. I haven't seen that from JP in 3+ years. I've seen it in Edwards in 3+ games.

Night Train
10-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Edwards can throw the out

The problem is he telegraphs it and allows the opposition to jump it for an INT.

He's got to release that earlier and quit staring down his receiver.

mybills
10-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Imagine if Trent was never drafted. I don't think people would be quitting on JP after 2 games. Or would they?

camelcowboy
10-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Imagine if Trent was never drafted. I don't think people would be quitting on JP after 2 games. Or would they? The way he played the first two games if he sucked during new england i can see alot of people calling for a change with or without edwards.

BillsFever21
10-22-2007, 11:44 PM
Trent Edwards is being talked up like he has played like Peyton Manning. We have 4 TD's in 4 games with him in the lineup and two of them were at home against the Jets who have one of the worst defense in the league.

Trent Edwards has 1 TD and 4 INT's. He has done alright for a rookie but he has been far from good. Over an entire season that is 4 TD's and 16 INT's. JP's first season he at least averaged around a TD pass a game. ONE 2 yard TD pass and 4 INT's in 4 games. That is horrible. For two straight weeks he had a game changing INT in the 4th quarter. If it wasn't for the Ravens pathetic offense they easily win that game.

He disgracefully stares the WR's right down. And for those who want to point to his accuracy he is completing 66% of his passes in a short passing game. JP completed almost 63% last year with many downfield throws and almost 64% this year before being injured. That was against the #1 and #2 passing defenses in the NFL with one of them being on the road.

We just had 3 games in a row at home and Edwards has been far from good. The next three games are against cupcake teams. There should be no reason why he doesn't produce more on offense during them games.

Michael82
10-23-2007, 12:51 AM
The problem is he telegraphs it and allows the opposition to jump it for an INT.

Excellent point. The staring down thing is what scares me the most. Everyone knows where the ball is going when he has a receiver in mind. :ill:

Michael82
10-23-2007, 12:53 AM
Trent Edwards is being talked up like he has played like Peyton Manning. We have 4 TD's in 4 games with him in the lineup and two of them were at home against the Jets who have one of the worst defense in the league.

Trent Edwards has 1 TD and 4 INT's. He has done alright for a rookie but he has been far from good. Over an entire season that is 4 TD's and 16 INT's. JP's first season he at least averaged around a TD pass a game. ONE 2 yard TD pass and 4 INT's in 4 games. That is horrible. For two straight weeks he had a game changing INT in the 4th quarter. If it wasn't for the Ravens pathetic offense they easily win that game.

He disgracefully stares the WR's right down. And for those who want to point to his accuracy he is completing 66% of his passes in a short passing game. JP completed almost 63% last year with many downfield throws and almost 64% this year before being injured. That was against the #1 and #2 passing defenses in the NFL with one of them being on the road.

We just had 3 games in a row at home and Edwards has been far from good. The next three games are against cupcake teams. There should be no reason why he doesn't produce more on offense during them games.
Excellent post and this is another reason why I think it is only fair to see JP Losman one more time before throwing him away for good. Edwards got us two wins, but with the way the defense and special teams have played...who's to say that JP wouldn't have won those same games for us? Hell, I think we would have beaten Dallas too if we had a QB who knew how to stretch the defense with the long ball and didn't stare down his receivers all day long.

Wally The Barber
10-23-2007, 01:06 AM
TE is simply better.....easiest discision in the world!

BillsFever21
10-23-2007, 02:07 AM
Trent Edwards is far from doing good. He reminds me of Bruce Gradkowski from last season. A rookie that was playing when he shouldn't have been last season. Not because he was good but because Simms got hurt. We see where Gradkowski is now don't we? His play and stats were very similar to Edwards. The only difference with Gradkowski is that he actually threw some TD passes.

1st start - 20-31, 225 yards and 2 TD's
2nd start - 25-44, 184 yards, 2 TD's 1 INT
3rd start- 13-26, 104 yards

They played a short game and didn't take very many chances. Gradkowski was actually better then Edwards. He got some points and scored some TD's for Tampa Bay.

The entire Edwards thing is just Bills fans overreacting to mediocrity once again with a young/rookie player or 1st time player/coach. Whether it be with Josh Reed his rookie year, Mike Mularkey and Dick Jauron their first year, the return of Peerless Price, Keith Ellison last year, Kyle Williams last year, even Losman his first year.

PcA125
10-23-2007, 07:50 AM

I dont mean to add fuel to the fire, but wassnt this the EXACT SAME thing we said about lossman? I mean, you guys are talking about him as if he has never thrown a pick before.

HHURRICANE
10-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Excellent point. The staring down thing is what scares me the most. Everyone knows where the ball is going when he has a receiver in mind. :ill:

He does it far less than Losman. Don't you think you are a little hyper critical of the kid?

One thing for sure is he has total command of the team when he is out there. I highly doubt that Losman was getting the 5 encroachment calls that Edwards got changing up the count.

Matter-of-fact I bet Losman doesn't have 5 in his career here.

Inetpub
10-23-2007, 08:38 AM

Pot!!! Kettle calling. where are you pot?

Wasnt it Losman who emails the other team before the play who hes going to pass to? Saying trent telegraphs passes with Losman as your artillery is hilarious.

LOL. Im still laughing!!

Enough is enough about loserman and this team. Because that era is over. The Patriots bandwagon is still open to hop on since you guys cant see that TE is now the new QB of the Buffalo Bills. TE has a good arm. He can make the throws and he can run the offense. AND THE COACHES TRUST HIM.

All that in 3 games. I find it hilarious people want to replace a rookie thats winning games with loserman. Misery loves company i guess.

acehole
10-23-2007, 09:18 AM
Wow that is a great POST...and the facts are horrible things....and the people who are saying he is so great are also saying that do worry about these funny stat thingys he will get better and be better then JP in time. Well which is it? I have heard him compared to Farve and Elway in there first years.....well yea and they both sucked in ther first year.....but so did Ryan Leaf so what are your pionts really? I think they(Bills) like T Edwards for 2 reasons....job security and money. Ralph is to cheap to pay JP if he plays well.....and if he puts him in and he plays well the league and the world will be watching and wondering why dont they extend him? The coaches like the switch because it maskes how much they suck and they can say well we will have our lumps with a new qb...yada...yada. Mabey it is all fine....it will take years yes years to catch up to the Pats talent wise...why spend the money on JP when it will take 3-5 years to put up a team that will compete....but what they cant seem to figure out is nobody wants to come here because Ralph pulls this crap! If they really wanted to move JP and they are done with him.... they should let him play and then trade him the day after the win....but there in lies the catch 22.

TaylorThePirate
10-23-2007, 01:41 PM
he actually had 2 TD'S but they were both called upon by pass interferance