PDA

View Full Version : Why I believe our O struggles

Bone
10-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Honestly the biggest reason in my opinion is our first down plays, if we got like 5 plus yards on our first down plays we wouldn't be looking at 3rd and 6 or even worse, majority of the time were throwing to Evans on the line of possesion and he usually gets 2-3 yards if that, its a little thing that makes a big difference.

Mahdi
10-22-2007, 04:42 PM
I think the reason we dont have good first down success is our run blocking. Its still not there yet.

OpIv37
10-22-2007, 05:11 PM
Honestly the biggest reason in my opinion is our first down plays, if we got like 5 plus yards on our first down plays we wouldn't be looking at 3rd and 6 or even worse, majority of the time were throwing to Evans on the line of possesion and he usually gets 2-3 yards if that, its a little thing that makes a big difference.

I think that was true against Baltimore. But if you look at our past games, it seems there was a bunch of times when Lynch would tear off a 6-8 yard run, then we'd either get stuffed or throw incomplete on second, then on third our jackass coaches pull Lynch and put in Thomas so the D knows they can come after the QB.

But Mahdi's right- it comes down to run blocking. If we were getting better run blocking, we'd convert those 2nd and shorts and maybe, just maybe, run the ball on 3rd and 3.

jamze132
10-22-2007, 08:12 PM
It doesn't help either when your O-line is getting called for a 15 yard FACE MASK PENALTY! WTF?

It also doesn't help when on 2nd and 7, the ball it's you square in the hands and you drop it because you are a pussy and heard foots steps.

Like Op said, whenever it's 3rd and long, Thomas comes in and immediatley alrts the defense as to what we are trying to do. So what do we do? We try to fool the opposition bye having him run 3 straight plays! And look where that got us. If Thmas could actually run the ball anymore, it wouldn't hurt to bring him in on passing downs, but he can't.

Anyways, the biggest reason we suck is because of Fairchild.

Johnny Bugmenot
10-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Run inside. Run outside. Pass. Kick.

Spare me the monotony. Midget leagues run that sort of offense. It's so predictable.

Lynch has good hands-- when he catches the ball it has resulted in good things. I still think Thomas can run the ball effectively, why he doesn't, I don't know.

RedEyE
10-22-2007, 08:33 PM
I think the line plays it's role wll recently. We need a TE that can shake things up a bit and a receiver that can swing through the middle of the opposition.

Right now the Bills receivers are fast, small, and delicate. Reed is the only one that shows significant strength VS hefty zone LBs, and he's a midget as well.

Where's the Bills TEs? Royal and Gaines clearly can't hang onto the ball.

Wys Guy
10-22-2007, 08:41 PM

We are ranked 29th in 3rd-down conversions.

Wys Guy
10-22-2007, 08:48 PM
I think the line plays it's role wll recently. We need a TE that can shake things up a bit and a receiver that can swing through the middle of the opposition.

Right now the Bills receivers are fast, small, and delicate. Reed is the only one that shows significant strength VS hefty zone LBs, and he's a midget as well.

Where's the Bills TEs? Royal and Gaines clearly can't hang onto the ball.

I have to laugh, and in a good way and good natured. But you guys are sifting through the rubble of a house that's burned to the ground talking about how to piece it back together again.

Denial?

This is not a team close to anything except moving in its present state.

Mitchy moo
10-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Gaines clearly can't hang onto the ball.

He had TE's first pass hit him in the chest & he dropped it, that's all I remember of him.

RedEyE
10-22-2007, 08:53 PM
I have to laugh, and in a good way and good natured. But you guys are sifting through the rubble of a house that's burned to the ground talking about how to piece it back together again.

Denial?

This is not a team close to anything except moving in its present state.

That's OK, because I laugh too when I see you blurting out the same mindless drivel you spewed out before you took your hiatus from this site a year or two ago.

You want to know what sifting through rubble is? It's called reading a post from Wys. Every so often you find a clear thought, but it's usually buried beneath the piles of pinned up aggreation and proverbial nonsense.

Mahdi
10-23-2007, 07:37 AM
Run inside. Run outside. Pass. Kick.

Spare me the monotony. Midget leagues run that sort of offense. It's so predictable.

Lynch has good hands-- when he catches the ball it has resulted in good things. I still think Thomas can run the ball effectively, why he doesn't, I don't know.
I dont agree. Our offense has actually been pretty dynamic. We ran no huddle for most of the game against one of the best defenses in the NFL. We passed frequently on first down and overall mixed it up pretty nicely.

Lynch does have good hands I agree there, he should be out there on 3rd down. He's not going to learn pass protection at home.

If anything Thomas is getting too many carries. He gets stuffed on almost every run. He is averaging 1.5 ypc which is terrible for a change of pace RB let alone any RB. Wright should get more carries and Jackson should get a couple also.

alohabillsfan
10-23-2007, 08:52 AM
The struggle with this offense is the red zone period! We need an athletic TE and a WR that is over 6 freaking foot! Here are the top 5 in TD's so far this year...

1 New England Patriots Moss 10 TD's (6' 4")
2 Dallas Cowboys Owens 5 TD's (6' 3")
3 New York Giants Burris 8 TD's (6' 5")
4 Indianapolis Colts Clark 6 TD's (6' 3")
5 Cleveland Browns Edwards 7 TD's (6' 3")

add in
TJ Houseaminilly 8 TD's (6' 2")

Yes there are a few midgets out there with some nice TD numbers but we sure is hell don't have them and in the redzone we need sizable targets!

djjimkelly
10-23-2007, 09:13 AM
predictability is why our offense struggles. most of us on here are a bit more then average fans and im sure most of you like me can call what is coming 80-90% of the time just based on formation we see. and to be quite honest i think most defenses know we want to run and will only pass if we really have too.

one thing ive noticed about teams against us this year is they are stacking the box but not blitzing and do you blame them. we either run the ball or throw a 5 yard pattern 95% of the time. so they have 8 guys in box for a run or 8 -9 guys at line of scrimmage for our 5 yard passing game.

Mahdi
10-23-2007, 09:15 AM
The struggle with this offense is the red zone period! We need an athletic TE and a WR that is over 6 freaking foot! Here are the top 5 in TD's so far this year...

1 New England Patriots Moss 10 TD's (6' 4")
2 Dallas Cowboys Owens 5 TD's (6' 3")
3 New York Giants Burris 8 TD's (6' 5")
4 Indianapolis Colts Clark 6 TD's (6' 3")
5 Cleveland Browns Edwards 7 TD's (6' 3")

add in
TJ Houseaminilly 8 TD's (6' 2")

Yes there are a few midgets out there with some nice TD numbers but we sure is hell don't have them and in the redzone we need sizable targets!
For some reason Coles actually does well in the redzone and he's not too tall. I think that has more to do with a good rapport between him and Pennington though.Same with Marvin. Hopefully Evans will get to that point sometime soon with whoever we have at QB.

bigbub2352
10-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Our Oline struggles cause u have a tackle playing guard in butler, who is getting over powered by the bull rush, u have a very mediocre C in Fowler who is undersized and gets pushed all over the feild on run plays, and u have an overatted bohemouth in Walker, who plays about half the snaps, and a terrible lead blocker in Ryan cant believe he is on the team Nuefeld, i know it is harsh but this line gets no push at all on run plays and when we do go to our powerside(left) back side pursuit cause of the poor line schemes and blocking is what grabs Lynch form behind!, sorry Walker and Fowler are not the answer

Mahdi
10-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Our Oline struggles cause u have a tackle playing guard in butler, who is getting over powered by the bull rush, u have a very mediocre C in Fowler who is undersized and gets pushed all over the feild on run plays, and u have an overatted bohemouth in Walker, who plays about half the snaps, and a terrible lead blocker in Ryan cant believe he is on the team Nuefeld, i know it is harsh but this line gets no push at all on run plays and when we do go to our powerside(left) back side pursuit cause of the poor line schemes and blocking is what grabs Lynch form behind!, sorry Walker and Fowler are not the answer
I disagree about Walker agree on Fowler. Butler is getting better and moves well actually. Walker is run blocking quite well actually whenever we do run right it seems to be successful. Fowler is good on the move but gets pushed around otherwise. We need a C in the third round.

bigbub2352
10-23-2007, 09:41 AM
I disagree about Walker agree on Fowler. Butler is getting better and moves well actually. Walker is run blocking quite well actually whenever we do run right it seems to be successful. Fowler is good on the move but gets pushed around otherwise. We need a C in the third round.
I agree with the C, and hope Butler is developing but currently i hate to say it, cause i want them to be dominating in the worst way, the right side is getting pushed around, i think gettin a capable and stout C will fix alot of problems, and Walker should be even better next year when him and butler played all year together, it might be the number 68 makes me feel sick

Jan Reimers
10-23-2007, 09:44 AM
I think the reason we dont have good first down success is our run blocking. Its still not there yet.
You're right. That, and the lack of a big, possession type receiver.

Mahdi
10-23-2007, 09:46 AM
I agree with the C, and hope Butler is developing but currently i hate to say it, cause i want them to be dominating in the worst way, the right side is getting pushed around, i think gettin a capable and stout C will fix alot of problems, and Walker should be even better next year when him and butler played all year together, it might be the number 68 makes me feel sick
Walker is actually impressive. I was paying close attention to him and he was handling those 3-4 edge rushers Baltimore has pretty well one on one. He 's got great feet. Run blocking wise we run left most of the time and when we do run right it was for good yardage. Marshawn's big run this week was behind Walker.

bigbub2352
10-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Walker is actually impressive. I was paying close attention to him and he was handling those 3-4 edge rushers Baltimore has pretty well one on one. He 's got great feet. Run blocking wise we run left most of the time and when we do run right it was for good yardage. Marshawn's big run this week was behind Walker.
how do u explain 32 rushes for less than 2yds in the last two games then if our right side is blocking well agianst the run, i agree with u thou on the pass protection it is vastly improved and walker has surprised me in that area, but the run we r strugglin, and we arent throwin for any tds either sounds like coaching to me

Mahdi
10-23-2007, 12:13 PM
how do u explain 32 rushes for less than 2yds in the last two games then if our right side is blocking well agianst the run, i agree with u thou on the pass protection it is vastly improved and walker has surprised me in that area, but the run we r strugglin, and we arent throwin for any tds either sounds like coaching to me
Well we dont run right very often. Its almost always left. And although I do believe run blocking is an issue. When I was watching the tape of the Dallas game I noticed that they often had 9 and sometimes 10 players in the box. That makes run blocking pretty difficult. We have to find a way to keep those corners and safeties back. Hopefully Evans and Parrish helped things on sunday and the Jets will lay off a little.