X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Red Zone Woes..

This team seems to get in the red zone often enough, but clearly aren't getting the points they deserve. I was happy the Bills were nailing the 3 pointers last week, but man I want to see some TDs already.

The TEs are often useless in the endzone and the size of our receivers get lost beneath the mass of the opposition. Lynch can't get it done in the zone all the time.

I often wonder why the Bills don't use a tackle eligible play more often when inside the red zone. Peter's is an ex-TE. Use that to your advantage. Get that mass out there and flood the zone.
  • shelby
    The Vanilla *****
    • Jul 2002

Re: Red Zone Woes..

Good post.

Red Zone woes beat RedEyE woes any day of the week, though.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
      Will not tolerate vandalism.
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by RedEyE
      I often wonder why the Bills don't use a tackle eligible play more often when inside the red zone. Peter's is an ex-TE. Use that to your advantage. Get that mass out there and flood the zone.
      That's actually an excellent idea. Royal's acumen has been his blocking skills, and Peters is a former TE with good hands (in fact, Losman's only TD in his first Houston game was in fact a TD throw to Peters). It would be an interesting wrinkle to the offense... although the one thing I worry about with that is protection-- that would leave the entire left side to a largely milquetoast O-line, practically begging for an Edwards sack. Still, it's worth a shot.

Of course, that kind of originality is what Steve Fairchild sorely lacks.

Comment

• jamze132
        Don’t hate…
        • Jun 2003

That would work except we need him to block. Our TEs aren't good enough to cover down while he goes and catches balls.

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

This team seems to get in the red zone often enough, but clearly aren't getting the points they deserve. I was happy the Bills were nailing the 3 pointers last week, but man I want to see some TDs already.

The TEs are often useless in the endzone and the size of our receivers get lost beneath the mass of the opposition. Lynch can't get it done in the zone all the time.

Your points are solid.

A lack of a true #2 WR with size is killing us, in addition to poor Coaching.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Captain gameboy
            • Jul 2002

One of the unmentioned things about our Bills is that they are a midget team at WR and corner.

Giant O line, but midget receivers and corners.
            Not a good formula for red zone success.

Comment

• Kerr
              Hall of Fame Zoner
              • Feb 2005

This was mentioned on nfl replay of the game. They said the team misused their TE's and that has lead them to struggle in the red zone because they have small receivers. This goes on fairchild. He should know better. Under martz in st louis they had one year where the TE scored 6 tds in the redzone. I believe it was ernie conwell. I hope fairchild wakes up and realizes he needs to use his TE's more down there. Personally, I like Mike Gaines for the job.

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

IMO we just dont have a red zone threat good enough to go to on a consistent basis. Royal and Gaines can be covered one on one. You cant cover Witten, Shockey, Winslow etc one on one so it opens things up for everyone else. Also our WR are not red zone threats either so its very limiting for our QBs. A tackle eligible play might work once and even if it does why would we expose our LT to a big hit? The last thing we need is to lose one of our bright spots. I think this draft will be focused on red zone threats.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

I believe its our unwillingness to use screens, our TEs, or much originality in the red zone that hurt us. Yes we need a #2 with some size but other teams have had succesful red zone success without having a giant to throw to.

If we ever get a real athletic TE I think it would be great to thow what I call a Tight End Fade or Tight End corner route in the endzone. Alot of teams use zone coverage in the red zone, and if you quick slant the WR from the TE side in the corner back should jump the route expecting that to be the pass while the TE slides in behind, throw the ball to the corner and the safety never should have a play on it. And no this is not a Madden play, something I was taught playing football growing and something Ive seen done on multiple levels.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                    • Sep 2003

Tight End Tamme UK Marv, please draft him! Along with DJ Hall

We need to spend at least 2 of our day one picks on offense (TE an WR)

Comment

• Philagape
                      WIN NOW
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                      If we ever get a real athletic TE I think it would be great to thow what I call a Tight End Fade or Tight End corner route in the endzone. Alot of teams use zone coverage in the red zone, and if you quick slant the WR from the TE side in the corner back should jump the route expecting that to be the pass while the TE slides in behind, throw the ball to the corner and the safety never should have a play on it. And no this is not a Madden play, something I was taught playing football growing and something Ive seen done on multiple levels.
                      But I do it all the time in Madden and it works great
                      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Philagape
                        But I do it all the time in Madden and it works great

It does work there too, but thats beside the point
                        COMING SOON...

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
                          Tight End Tamme UK Marv, please draft him! Along with DJ Hall

We need to spend at least 2 of our day one picks on offense (TE an WR)
                          Tamme is good no doubt. But I think Fred Davis USC is better. Tamme would be great at the top of the second round though which I think is the better place for us to draft a TE. First pick should be Dorsey if he is there or WR.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
                            Tamme is good no doubt. But I think Fred Davis USC is better. Tamme would be great at the top of the second round though which I think is the better place for us to draft a TE. First pick should be Dorsey if he is there or WR.
                            Tamme will be around in Round 3 and maybe Round 4 depending on his combine and what juniors leave early.
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• bigbub2352
                              • Feb 2005

We need to get serious about our TE's and Wrs in order to become more efficient in the red zone, we have the rbs in wright and lynch, we got a good number 2 and 3 TE in Royal and Gaines, but neither are recieveing threats, We r good with Evans and Roscoe as 1 and 3 i guess and i hate to say this but Reed as our 4, over paid in my opinion, so we need at least 2 wr with size and vertical and a real TE with get open ability, about 2 or 3 come out of the draft every year we desperatley need to get one via draft or FA same goes for WR, we desperatly need a number 2 and 3 WR, so roscoe can go to 4 and reed to 5
                              XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

Working...
                              X