X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Why Jauron cannot go back to JP anymore

Last week on my podcast (before the Ravens game), I said the Bills and Dick Jauron cannot go back to JP Losman as the starting QB. I said he could start JP (last week) and then go back to Trent, but not the other way around. I said that declaring Trent the starter with JP also healthy for one week basically meant he was doing it for long-term.

Someone messaged me and asked why. So, I'll explain. Just know I am not saying I agree or disagree with the move to make Trent the starter this week or long-term here. I'm merely pointing out why I believe Jauron has made his bed now that Trent has been named the starter. And he's going to have to lie in it and live with it no matter what happens.

So, here's why:

Of course, physically, Jauron CAN go back to JP. And in most cases, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. But this case is different. (Assuming both are healthy) the head coach has made a decision to go with the rookie QB over a 4-year vet whose contract has one year remaining. That means flat-out he's declaring Edwards the QB of the future for the team, that the future starts now, and that JP's days as the starting QB are, if not over, at least not needed. Essentially, he's put his stamp on moving in a different direction --- away from JP. NFL games (especially in week 8 when you are 2 games out of a playoff spot) are not experiments. They are games teams are trying to win.

So, now everyone, especially Losman, knows he is not the guy the coaching staff (or front office) wants. He (and his teammates) knows the staff feels they don't need him to win. After 4 years of being told he was the guy they needed and wanted, he's now being told, "we have something better." And that "something" is a rookie with a longer, cheaper contract. The fact is, Edwards isn't going anywhere anytime soon whether he's the starter or not. We all know that, and JP knows that.

So, even if they return to JP sometime soon, he knows - and everyone in that locker room knows - it will only be for a few games, or until the end of the season at the most. If Jauron went back to him and declared he still had a shot at being the QB of the future, everyone would consider that a joke.

And they'd be right.

Imagine if you were the head of the division of a company. A new company president comes in.....one different than who brought you in. You get sick and can't perform your job for a few weeks. The president tells you he is putting someone else in your spot for the next month - someone younger, cheaper, and that he personally hand-picked, just until you're better.

The division does well that month. But you get healthy enough to come back to your position and lead the troops. But the president says "no need. We're going to stick with The Kid for another month." What message would that send you? What message would that send your employees?

Of course it would tell you that no matter what happened over the next month, even if you get your position back and do well, you know - and everyone around you knows - that the groundwork has been laid for your replacement to take over FULL-TIME sometime soon. In essence, all parties involved know you are finished with that company. If not next month, maybe the month after, or the year after. But the bottom line is: the company feels it doesn't need you anymore.

Now imagine the company gives you your position back. But the new kid is going to sit behind you and be there "just in case."

There's almost NO possible way you can save your long-term fate as the head of that division with that company. That's a bad scenario for you....and for the people you employ.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Why Jauron cannot go back to JP anymore

I agree 100%. If the trade deadline was next week, Dick would be shopping JP now.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
      I agree 100%. If the trade deadline was next week, Dick would be shopping JP now.
      Having JP around is an insurance policy for this year in case of a TE injury, that is most likely why he wasn't traded. They let Nall go because they felt they didn't need an insurance for the the insurance. We will pick up a old vet let go by some team next year for insurance after Trading JP for a 3rd round draft pick from a needy team. I would also plan on us drafting a QB real late in the draft, real late.

JP is done here, nothing else too see.

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Skooby
        Having JP around is an insurance policy for this year in case of injury, that is most likely why he wasn't traded. They let Nall go because they felt they didn't need an insurance for the the insurance.
        I disagree. If TE went down to an injury and JP lights it up, it will make the coaches look like douches.

It's pretty obvious that they weren't sure about edwards going into the ravens game. Now this decision says they've decided that Edwards is the future. They are going with the Trent Edwards project .They no longer need JP.

Nall would've been here and JP would've been gone if the trade deadline was next week. The Ravens & Falcons to name a few need a qb. JP is young anough and a coach who knows his stuff could make use of JP and his arm.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mitchy moo
          Roways rooking ahread!
          • Sep 2005

If TE went down to an injury and JP lights it up, it will make the coaches look like douches.
          If we're playing the Jets or Miami JP will light it up. Anyone with a better record than us, you can pack it in for a >100 yards passing day with him in there.

As per the Coaches looking like Douches, they do that well enough during the game on their own.

Comment

• bills_7
            TIM COUCH IS MY HERO!
            • Mar 2004

is JP 100% healthy?

Comment

• bills_7
              TIM COUCH IS MY HERO!
              • Mar 2004

Im so pissed off at this orginization.. I as dedicated as the next guy.. i go crazy during games almost in tears when we lose...

but first with the flutie thing now this with JP.. im extreamly pissed... if JP doesnt get back in there soon.. i dont know id hate to say it but i dont even care to watch the games this year aftr wk 3 or 4.. my heart isnt in it....

i think im done with this team... hope they goto to TORONTO soon with NEW ownership myb it will left my spirits back up... im really pissed on how this team is runned

Comment

• Meathead
                Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                • Jul 2002

well edwards could also implode and force the move back to jp. its just a fact that he is a rookie and the pressue of being named the guy often changes a previously impressive new guy from having nothing to lose to having everything to lose. once that happened if jp played well hed be right back in the saddle as the franchise guy. not saying thats gonna happen, not saying i want that to happen, just saying it could and would allow the move back to him

but i agree with just about everything else you said. which is why i said last week i thought it would be stupid for dick to choose edwards against the birds (assuming jp was fully healthy and ready to go). they now are likely to get nothing for jp, or at best a 5+ rounder. fair or not jp will now be viewed as damaged goods due to his mediocre at best play the first two weeks and losing his job to a rook. forget about all the progress he made last year and his final standing as top half of the starting qbs, if he doesnt get another shot here he will now be perceived as a bust and fetch little value in trade talks

now lets look at the rest of the season schedule. theyve got three pretty bad defenses coming up in a row. if edwards even plays mediocre he solidifies his status as the guy. he could then almost blow up against the pats jags and skins and still likely keep the job. then he only has to play mediocre again against a mixed sched the rest of the way and hes set. thus the most likely scenario is that jp expresses dissatisfaction and gets released prior to training camp

the alternative was to play jp against the birds and see if it was him or if it was the team adjusting to a revamped ol and questionable offensive game planning and calling that resulted in poor production the first two weeks. if jp does reasonably well then youve reestablished his status as a viable starting qb and you have options open to you going forward. if not then youve really lost nothing - youve confirmed jp is the problem and you can move on to the edwards era with no regrets

of course that would mean hed have to acknowledge that a) the offensive game planning and play calling was flawed early on, and b) that a previous regimes qb was a better choice right now than their choice. considering he should and could be on thin ice for his own mistakes that cost games it would have taken a huge amount of balls to do that and as much as i like the guy i just dont see jauron as having balls

now in hindsight seeing the very mediocre play of edwards the last two games, including two horrendous mistakes late to threaten/lose games that were firmly in hand, it makes that logic all the more compelling and now confirmed accurate

im sorry but i disagree with jaurons call on this whole thing recently. i really thought hed get it right considering it wasnt a pressure decision under the heat of a game but he called this one like it was late in the fourth with the game on the line. he choked

with all that said, congrats to edwards and i hope he silences all doubts with solid play the rest of the way. but frankly i predict quite the opposite. oh he will generally do quite well for a rookie as he certainly has been very impressive for being so green, but other times he will struggle, commit more killer mistakes just like all other rookies, and keep the controversy roaring all year. that will leave the bills with another difficult decision come the off season

dicks really lost me with all this crap. but you have to admit hes done a great job keeping the team and esp the def together during very tough times. i hope he wins me back by stringing some wins together and putting this patchwork unit in playoff contention down the stretch. hes got a lot to overcome but lets see if he can pull it off
                One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• tat2dmike77
                  Let the planet get warmer. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!
                  • Dec 2005

Hey scooby is JP still going to have that MVP season or what?

Comment

• jamze132
                    Don’t hate…
                    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by bills_7
                    is JP 100% healthy?
                    More than likely...

Dick didn't make this decision on his own, I would bet. He may have agreed with the decision but I doubt it was his to make. Refer to Sal's post above for the reasons more than likely behind the decision.

Comment

• raphael120
                      Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                      • Oct 2005

For as much as people say Edwards was mediocre, at least he wasn't HORRIBLE. Think about the teams he had to face. They're no joke. Hey, kid, you're playin the Pats! Get in there! And he goes down the field and scores, now I know it was just one drive, but he couldve thrown an INT, or whatever in that game.

Same wiht Monday night...national spotlight, you could have totally imploded, but he didnt, kept his calm, and as much as he didnt do anything to help us win, he didnt exactly help us lose..(i blame the one call on the coaches) Edwards, unlike Losman, has the basics down. Knows how to sustian drives, etc...now he needs to learn how to do the rest, and I think that's a good natural progression. You start in the kiddie pool, then you can make your way to the deep end. JP is the other way around. He likes strugglin to keep his head above water in the deep end of the pool, and never learned the basics.

As much as this season has been rough, and all the injuries, I'm more anxious to watch games now with Lynch and Edwards playing. And it's a shame that Poz went down because we couldve been watching all 3 of our young players really showing what they could do.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                        short bus extraordinaire
                        • Jul 2002

I disagree. If TE went down to an injury and JP lights it up, it will make the coaches look like douches.

sounds like wishful thinking.
                        Originally posted by yordad
                        Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Coach Sal
                          • Aug 2006

Of course, all bets would be off with an injury.

As JP unfortunately found himself.

My whole post/premise assumes both QBs are healthy and stay that way.
                          Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
                          And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• djjimkelly
                            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Skooby
                            Having JP around is an insurance policy for this year in case of a TE injury, that is most likely why he wasn't traded. They let Nall go because they felt they didn't need an insurance for the the insurance. We will pick up a old vet let go by some team next year for insurance after Trading JP for a 3rd round draft pick from a needy team. I would also plan on us drafting a QB real late in the draft, real late.

JP is done here, nothing else too see.

well i guess nobody kills someones trade value like the buffalo bills.

if JP wasnt their guy i agree he should have been shipped out. i dont think they ever wanted JP. jauron and levy. might give us some insight on why mike sherman wasnt hired now too

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                              Roways rooking ahread!
                              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by tat2dmike77
                              Hey scooby is JP still going to have that MVP season or what?
                              I don't want to say anything nasty about JP, I seen this coming and it was more than obvious. I really like JP as a person and think that his mouth gets ahead of his mind. You never hear Farve go out on a limb and say a whole lot, he just shows his stuff on the field. I think JP needs to follow his hero more and play it like him. I don't know about Farve's crying at the end of every season thing but you can't say the guy doesn't have heart.

Comment

Working...
                              X