PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is this supposed to mean?

Romes
10-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. today briefed the NFL owners in Philadelphia on the Buffalo Bills plan to boost the team’s regional footprint to the north.

The discussion was constructive and encouraging. When the matter is finalized, it will be referred to Commissioner Goodell for his announcement.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5449

it must be about Toronto but couldn't they be a little more specific and not burry this on their website?

jamze132
10-23-2007, 05:21 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5449

it must be about Toronto but couldn't they be a little more specific and not burry this on their website?
This isn't really new news, we have known for about a week that there was going to be a discussion among the owners pertaining to us playing some ball in Toronto.

The owners need to approve it. If they disaprove it, its an obvious sign that they, as a whole, want smaller market teams to get the **** out of their small markets and into bigger ones to make more money. If it is approved, either they really do want Buffalo to stay here or they see Toronto as more money for them. Only time will tell.

FlyingDutchman
10-23-2007, 05:31 PM
So sick of this Toronto talk. Im sick of this crap hanging over our heads.

shelby
10-23-2007, 05:41 PM
This may clarify things:

Bills owner Ralph Wilson frequently has lamented how difficult it is for his team to fully tap into Toronto, the Canadian metropolis considered the NFL franchise's northern — and, by far, largest — market.

Turns out, the Bills might have finally come up with a solution. If they can't lure Toronto's vast cache of corporate dollars the 90-mile drive to Buffalo, then the Bills intend to go north twice a year.
That's part of the pitch the Bills will make at the NFL fall meetings in Philadelphia today, when the team unveils its plan to host an annual regular-season and preseason game in Toronto starting next year.
The Bills' plan is broader than what filtered out last week: reports the team intended to host a preseason game in Toronto next season, followed by a regular-season game there in 2009.
Brian McCarthy, NFL vice president of corporate communications, said Monday the Bills' bid to play annually in Toronto is viewed as both "logical" and "necessary" steps to secure the small-market franchise's long-term viability.
"They do need to further regionalize both fan and corporate support in their home territory," McCarthy said. "So this would help the team further successfully operate in the future in western New York." Toronto represents the final and most lucrative frontier for the Bills, who insist they have reached their revenue-generating limits in a rust-belt region with a perennially struggling economy.

full story (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071023/SPORTS03/710230305/1007/SPORTS)

North_Coast
10-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Not being a Ralph Wilson fan, I'm suspicious that this is the first step in moving the team north permanently.

FlyingDutchman
10-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Not being a Ralph Wilson fan, I'm suspicious that this is the first step in moving the team north permanently.

I kinda agree with that. The NFL has been a BOOMING business, and has turned into "Americas sport". The money the NFL generates from sponsors and from TV networks is rediculous. Just like the artitcle got at, the Canadian market is rather untapped and could use a spark to increase their following of the NFL. An interest from Canada could probably increase their revenue by 1/4. The NFL will definately love this idea of them playing there. This could just start the domino effect. This is a way to test the waters.

Jeff1220
10-23-2007, 07:46 PM
It could definitely be viewed optimistically as Ralph making a compromise to keep the team in Buffalo. He is tapping into a larger revenue stream and doing something to please a loyal Canadian fan base.

...or he could be doing it to test the market :idunno:

FlyingDutchman
10-23-2007, 08:53 PM
Its definately a double edged sword

Mitchy moo
10-23-2007, 09:01 PM
I kinda agree with that. The NFL has been a BOOMING business, and has turned into "Americas sport". The money the NFL generates from sponsors and from TV networks is rediculous. Just like the artitcle got at, the Canadian market is rather untapped and could use a spark to increase their following of the NFL. An interest from Canada could probably increase their revenue by 1/4. The NFL will definately love this idea of them playing there. This could just start the domino effect. This is a way to test the waters.

If so they can add a NFL team there, Our Bills need home games.

Wys Guy
10-23-2007, 09:59 PM
You're wise! It is.

The rest is just grasping at straws. The writing on the wall is clear.

Most people don't want to think the entire thing through. Here's what's going to happen; if the response in Toronto is great, then the team will move there eventually upon Wilson's passing. I mean if the response is good, which it will be, tremendously, then why on earth will new owners tinker with keeping the team here trying to sell out premium seats and games in general when they wouldn't have nearly the effort in Toronto?

People here, meaning Bills fans, are thinking with their sentiments and not their business minds.

Toronto is ~ five times the size of Buffalo/Niagara Falls population wise and has far more money as it's the financial capital of Canada much as NYC is the financial capital of the States.

Toronto wouldn't have any issues with selling out luxury seating. About the biggest single reason that I've heard that is actually viable, at least on paper, is that they have the Argos. That'd be kind of like saying that Buffalo wouldn't want an MLB team because they have the Bisons. Let's at least be honest here. There would be absolutely no issues with loyalties to both teams. The seasons only overlap halfway and they are two different leagues with two different calibers of players.

Here's where it gets complicated for the Bills; At some point they're going to have to come up with a plan to break down cost plans for luxury seating. When that happens they're going to find out how much more quickly it sells out in Toronto and ask themselves, the new owners if it even makes it that far, why not just move the team where there are no isssues and where the TV market is much, much larger. And why not? This is a business, not a not-for-profit to benefit the citizens of the region.

I'm sure we can all fully appreciate their efforts, but that's all it is, grasping at straws. You can see in the tone of every piece on this that comes up the desperation involved.

But ask yourself, why would a business man, or men/team, purchase a team as an investment and then not relocate it where it will bring in far more income and not have to worry about even succeeding amidst a group of owners that want it out of Buffalo. Clearly they wouldn't.

Make no mistake, the current owners, most of them, are simply biding their time anticipating Wilson's passing and the sale of the team, that they must approve, and its move out of the region.

Besides, there's nothing that anyone here can do about it. It's all about TV markets and luxury/premium seating, both of which would do immeasurably better in Toronto. Think about it, but a certain subset of fans would still follow the team and go see games there. Probably to the tune of what we draw from Canada now. Toronto can't do better than what Buffalo does otherwise? Hardly. It's a huge economically viable city totally unlike Buffalo and region.

As well, with every passing year more people leave the WNY region, so it's not as if things are changing for the better.

The question that everyone should be preparing themselves for is will you continue to follow the team once it moves to Toronto? If not, which team, if any, will you follow?

I won't follow any one in particular. I may tune in to the Toronto team for a bit if it's well managed however, unlike it is here. I'm more interested in the somewhat up-and-commance of the Bulls.

Night Train
10-24-2007, 05:07 AM

I am too but we all know the score.

This medium size area has been in an economic free fall for 30 + years and unless the waterfront development happens soon, the Bills and Sabres will be gone within 5-10 years. NY State is this most mismanaged state in the U.S. with it's insane taxes, state pension anchor and bloated welfare system that rewards, for the most part, the lazy and ignorant.

I take my residency here year by year.