PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo's run blocking cause for concern

Don't Panic
10-24-2007, 08:30 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/19971.html

Buffalo spent a king's ransom on its offensive line in the offseason and doing so has panned out decently in pass protection; however, the run blocking simply hasn't been there. When Lynch has run to the left behind the Bills (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/19971.html#)' much-ballyhooed left side of tackle Jason Peters and $49 million guard Derrick Dockery, lanes haven't always been there. When he's run to the middle behind center Melvin Fowler or to the right behind guard Brad Butler and $25 million tackle Langston Walker, there hasn't consistently been a sizable hole.
That's the reason why Lynch, despite all his skills, hasn't amassed a 100-yard game this season. Instead, he's been forced to settle for contests of 90, 64, 74, 79, 66 and 84 yards. Those numbers are far from terrible, especially against the elite run defenses -- Pittsburgh, New England, Dallas and Baltimore -- the Bills have faced, but you'd like to see more production given that they spent so much to revamp their upfront blocking.
Most troubling is the line's lack of push on short-yardage plays, which was a big problem during the McGahee era. Take a small sample from Buffalo's win over the Ravens, for instance. In the fourth quarter, when the Bills were trying to run the block out and keep Baltimore's offense away from the field, Lynch was handed the ball nine times. How many yards did he accumulate, you ask? A whopping 11. First downs gained? Zero.

This was something I heard a lot of the faithful complain about at the game on Sunday. Lynch's avg. is pretty low and the kid does run with power every time. Admittedly, he will eventually do a better job of reading and reacting, but it seems to me like there should be a little more real estate for him to navigate. This isn't something I'm good at diagnosing though, so I can't say for certain who is to blame. All I can say is that a runner like Lynch should be getting 4.5 per carry. If we were running the ball better late, we'd be talking about victories over Dallas and Denver, not bitter defeats.

EDS
10-24-2007, 08:36 AM
Run blocking is definitely a huge problem. Hopefully it will get better as the line plays together more because I don't see the team spending any additional money on the offensive line in the near future given the sizable contracts already awarded.

bigbub2352
10-24-2007, 08:38 AM
Gee, i argued this very point yesterday with people on here, I have said all along, Melvin Fowler, Brad Butler and Mike ooops Langston are not getting push on the run blocking plays at all, and when the Bills choose to run to the left, backside pursuit is what is gettin Lynch from behind, the onyl free pass should go to Butler, cause he is still developing, and only has played guard for 6 games, he was hurt all preseason except the the last game against detroit, he can and hopefully will get better,
i am glad i am not the only one who sees it

Pride
10-24-2007, 08:38 AM
I also believe that until a defense believes a Bills QB can beat them through the air... they will continue to play to stop the run first, pass second.

Don't Panic
10-24-2007, 08:39 AM
I think we have to spend a day one pick on an LT next year. Move Peters to RT, Walker to RG, and maybe even replace Fowler with an improvement via FA. That would solve our problem pretty nicely.

THATHURMANATOR
10-24-2007, 08:39 AM
It may have to do with our inability to get defenses to respect the deep ball. They are stacking the line.

Don't Panic
10-24-2007, 08:43 AM
It may have to do with our inability to get defenses to respect the deep ball. They are stacking the line.

That's a decent point, but don't you think that there should be a little more space for Lynch to operate in from time to time. I don't expect the Grand Canyon every play, but if you give Lynch a little room to move, he will break one off. I haven't seen him do that in a while.... or at least not at the frequency that I expect.

bigbub2352
10-24-2007, 08:45 AM
I think our lack of passing attack contributes to this as well, but Fowler is not the answer at C i think if he is replaced next year our line comes together that much more, we need to open up the offense this week against a strugglin Jets team, shopw what we can do, stop being so conservative with the short and intermidiate routes

Mahdi
10-24-2007, 09:08 AM
I have been very critical of the run blocking lately. However I spent some time watching the tapes of the last couple games and its quite clear why we cant run. When teams want to stop their opponents from running they usually set an 8 man box. Watching the Dallas game again a lot of the time they had a 9 man box. I dont care how big or good your OL is, no one is going to find running room with 9 in the box, on a coulpe of plays i even counted 10. The thing is most of our completions happen within 10 yards of the LOS, so why would the defense be any farther back than that. Trent is going to have to make some plays to back defenses off or Lynch's average will be about the same even against the Jets.

bigbub2352
10-24-2007, 09:16 AM
I have been very critical of the run blocking lately. However I spent some time watching the tapes of the last couple games and its quite clear why we cant run. When teams want to stop their opponents from running they usually set an 8 man box. Watching the Dallas game again a lot of the time they had a 9 man box. I dont care how big or good your OL is, no one is going to find running room with 9 in the box, on a coulpe of plays i even counted 10. The thing is most of our completions happen within 10 yards of the LOS, so why would the defense be any farther back than that. Trent is going to have to make some plays to back defenses off or Lynch's average will be about the same even against the Jets.

I rewatched the ravens game, i had it on the aDVR per your suggestion, and i do agree with you 100% that they are not respecting the pass and stacking the line, almost every play, but it should be the coaches recognizing that and calling for that famous playaction, or run a screen when they are obvioulsy blitzing, also they should give the freedom to Trent to audible out if he sees them stack up, i never understood why JP and Trent were not allowed or dont audible, just hope that this is the reason and we didnt overspend on a Mike Williams clone

Mahdi
10-24-2007, 09:21 AM
I rewatched the ravens game, i had it on the aDVR per your suggestion, and i do agree with you 100% that they are not respecting the pass and stacking the line, almost every play, but it should be the coaches recognizing that and calling for that famous playaction, or run a screen when they are obvioulsy blitzing, also they should give the freedom to Trent to audible out if he sees them stack up, i never understood why JP and Trent were not allowed or dont audible, just hope that this is the reason and we didnt overspend on a Mike Williams clone
It must be the reason. I mean you can only block one guy at a time and if 2 are already there the play is dead. Normally, in zone blocking you block one guy then release to the second level. But if they are already all there there is no second level. Its all one level which is what Lynch faces every down. 3.6 ypc is impressive.

Don't Panic
10-24-2007, 09:29 AM
If we throw deep once every two possessions, even if it's incomplete, we'll keep them honest. No one can handle 10 in the box, but they shouldn't have to. Fairchild has to see that progression and make them pay for it.

bigbub2352
10-24-2007, 10:08 AM
If we throw deep once every two possessions, even if it's incomplete, we'll keep them honest. No one can handle 10 in the box, but they shouldn't have to. Fairchild has to see that progression and make them pay for it.

Exactly, thats what i have been yelling, lol, Fairchild needs to recognize what the Defense is doing and attack it, PLAYACTION on a stacked box

gr8slayer
10-24-2007, 10:12 AM
One issue is the freaking play-calling. The coaches start the game running the ball often, then in the second half (when you MUST dominate the clock) they get away from it. This Mikey Mouse **** doesn't cut it. Lynch, like most RB's get better as they get more carries, give the man the rock DICK! If he's not getting the ball 25-30 times a game it should be considered a crime.

Don't Panic
10-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Exactly, thats what i have been yelling, lol, Fairchild needs to recognize what the Defense is doing and attack it, PLAYACTION on a stacked box

I can't tell you how many times I was screaming for play-action from the stands on our multitude of 2nd and shorts on Sunday.

bigbub2352
10-24-2007, 10:17 AM
I can't tell you how many times I was screaming for play-action from the stands on our multitude of 2nd and shorts on Sunday.

LOL that was u? i think i heard u when i stopped screaming it grade8slyer i agree with u as well, it has alot to do with why are having some much trouble on O

Mahdi
10-24-2007, 10:20 AM
One issue is the freaking play-calling. The coaches start the game running the ball often, then in the second half (when you MUST dominate the clock) they get away from it. This Mikey Mouse **** doesn't cut it. Lynch, like most RB's get better as they get more carries, give the man the rock DICK! If he's not getting the ball 25-30 times a game it should be considered a crime.
I thought they actually started the game passing and ended it running?:idunno:

He had 27 carries against Baltimore.

justasportsfan
10-24-2007, 10:29 AM
watch Adrian Petersons play. He goes threw a hole untouched while Lynch has 2-3 guys all over him just trying to get 5 yards.

gr8slayer
10-24-2007, 10:32 AM
watch Adrian Petersons play. He goes threw a hole untouched while Lynch has 2-3 guys all over him just trying to get 5 yards.
Lynch > Peterson

Mahdi
10-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Yeah... Peterson looks like he's running the 40 everytime he carries the ball. Just has to run as fast as he can and highstep at the end. Lynch looks like he's doing the gauntlet drill everytime he carries it.

justasportsfan
10-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Lynch > Peterson
I wasn't making a comparison between rb's. I was making a comparrison between OL's. Besides the stats show YOU ARE WRONG. Lynch is gonna have to do better but HOW can he when his OL blows which brings us back to the subject of the thread. ;)

gr8slayer
10-24-2007, 10:38 AM
I wasn't making a comparison between rb's. I was making a comparrison between OL's. Besides the stats show YOU ARE WRONG. Lynch is gonna have to do better but HOW can he when his OL blows which brings us back to the subject of the thread. ;)
I know what you were comparing, I'm just repeating what I've been saying since February. BTW, I'm not wrong at all :up:

baalworship
10-24-2007, 11:00 AM
This has been the most disappointing aspects of the Bills play this year. Even worse is we are last in the NFL in 3rd and 4th down and less than 2 yards.

We need this fixed because run blocking should be easier than pass blocking.

Mr. Pink
10-24-2007, 11:04 AM
McGahee YPC 2006 3.8
Lynch YPC so far 3.6

I thought we improved our O-line and RB in the offseason? Coulda fooled me by watching the games.

superbills
10-24-2007, 11:15 AM
McGahee YPC 2006 3.8
Lynch YPC so far 3.6

I thought we improved our O-line and RB in the offseason? Coulda fooled me by watching the games.

But that goes back to what we've been complaining about in this thread. What were McGahee's stats when the QB was struggling in the beginning of the year last year? And that's an honest question since I'm too lazy to look it up. The point is that McGahee's total YPC may have been buffered at the end of the year when the QB and offense as a whole were all playing better. You're taking Lynch's stats after only 6 games, all of which were lacking in terms of overall offense by the Bills.

If, as other posters have suggested, the playcalling improves and we are able to get defenses to stop stacking the box with 8 or 9 guys, then Lynch should fare better and we can more accurately compare him to McGahee.

TigerJ
10-24-2007, 12:28 PM
I think it's some of both. The line isn't getting the job done, but defenses are making the job tougher because they are playing close to the line, daring Edwards to throw some long passes.

Mad Bomber
10-24-2007, 12:57 PM
The next three weeks should be telling. We're playing three of the worst run defenses in the league, and if we don't tear it up on the ground then we have serious issues.

Mahdi
10-24-2007, 01:00 PM
The next three weeks should be telling. We're playing three of the worst run defenses in the league, and if we don't tear it up on the ground then we have serious issues.
I dont necessarily agree. I think it depends on what we can do in the passing game. If we can get our WRs involved downfield the run game will be good against anyone. If not it will be bad against anyone. Even the worst run D in the league is good if they have everyone near the LOS.

camelcowboy
10-24-2007, 01:01 PM
The bills would do themselves a favor if they were to spread the defense out and run in the 3-4 wide receiver package.