• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Wilson makes his case to owners

Looks like its happening... before you judge it, think about the options. If we do end up losing the team to Toronto, I will be just as upset as you are. But if you don't try something, we might lose them to a place much further away than Toronto (although that will only mean so much).
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Re: Wilson makes his case to owners

“Mr. Wilson was very, very adamant that in no fashion does he have any plans now or in the future of moving the Buffalo Bills to Toronto,” Peterson said. “The simple explanation is that from a financial standpoint this is necessary for them to continue to play in Buffalo.”
    Take it for what it's worth...

Comment

• Pride
      • Jul 2002

For now, I'll believe him.

I truly believe that Wilson is setting something up here to keep the Bills in Buffalo. I believe that he, along with Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, and the State Government want to do whatever is possible to keep the Bills in NY.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

I can't imagine the other AFCE owners would oppose this- it's basically making the Bills travel and play a "home" game in an unfamiliar stadium. Certainly the crowd would still likely be rooting for the Bills but some of the other advantages of a home game would be gone.

I just hope this counts as the Bills' "international" game so we don't end up losing two home games a year when the league expands international play.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Pride

I truly believe that Wilson is setting something up here to keep the Bills in Buffalo. I believe that he, along with Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, and the State Government want to do whatever is possible to keep the Bills in NY.
          I believe Ralph when he says he's not moving the team. If he had any interest in doing it, it would be done already.

However, when Ralph passes, it's another story. I'll believe he's doing something to keep the Bills here when there's some evidence to support it. As of this moment, he's done nothing in that regard.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Don't Panic
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
            I just hope this counts as the Bills' "international" game so we don't end up losing two home games a year when the league expands international play.
            I'm with you on that one... this should be the only home game we have to give up.

Comment

Originally posted by Pride

Agreed Pride, but "whatever's possible" isn't very much and certainly isn't going to compete with what say Toronto could/would offer.

Toronto would have to offer a new stadium. We can't offer that. No doubt it would be state of the art if the Sky Dome at the time it was built about 20 years ago is any indication. It was state of the art at the time too.

The NY State government would offer some funding towards a stadium just as they do out of their budget for that kind of stuff, but that would be for a stadium, not towards the sale price, and it would be a fraction, not the entirety.

Erie County doesn't have a pot to piss in financially and have stated as much. I know that the city isn't going to be any help. Besides, when you say "the government," you're really talking about taking more money from the people that comprise the "government's" money. Can the WNY taxpayers really sustain higher taxes? Sure, if they are all in favor of Communism which may very well be where NYS is headed more or less financially/economically if it isn't already close to being there.

As much as people would like to believe differently, Thurman and Kelly are powerless. Mouthpieces is not what are needed.

Comment

Originally posted by bwbrenton
                I'm with you on that one... this should be the only home game we have to give up.
                On that note, how do you see this playing out brenton?

Will Canadians want more games?

How excited will they get with "just one game?" Will that really accomplish the goals of getting more Canadians to attend 7 RS games in OP, a good 1 1/2 away?

How will losing a game, two games, whatever "play in Peoria" with Bills fans in the States in the region?

I see problems just like there are with RB by Committee or in jockeying QBs in and out all the time.

IMO you'd have two dissatisfied fan bases and an extremely complicated ticket sales mess.

Comment

• Mahdi
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Wys Guy

How excited will they get with "just one game?" Will that really accomplish the goals of getting more Canadians to attend 7 RS games in OP, a good 1 1/2 away?

How will losing a game, two games, whatever "play in Peoria" with Bills fans in the States in the region?

I see problems just like there are with RB by Committee or in jockeying QBs in and out all the time.

IMO you'd have two dissatisfied fan bases and an extremely complicated ticket sales mess.
                  I drive 6 1/2 hours 3 or 4 times a year to watch the Bills in OP most fans wouldnt mind the 1 hour drive at all.

Comment

• Bulldog
                    Top Dog
                    • Jan 2003

Agreed Pride, but "whatever's possible" isn't very much and certainly isn't going to compete with what say Toronto could/would offer.

Toronto would have to offer a new stadium. We can't offer that. No doubt it would be state of the art if the Sky Dome at the time it was built about 20 years ago is any indication. It was state of the art at the time too.

The NY State government would offer some funding towards a stadium just as they do out of their budget for that kind of stuff, but that would be for a stadium, not towards the sale price, and it would be a fraction, not the entirety.

Erie County doesn't have a pot to piss in financially and have stated as much. I know that the city isn't going to be any help. Besides, when you say "the government," you're really talking about taking more money from the people that comprise the "government's" money. Can the WNY taxpayers really sustain higher taxes? Sure, if they are all in favor of Communism which may very well be where NYS is headed more or less financially/economically if it isn't already close to being there.

As much as people would like to believe differently, Thurman and Kelly are powerless. Mouthpieces is not what are needed.
                    If Wilson truly wants to see the Bill stay in Buffalo, then he should allow someone to purchase a portion of the franchise and become a minority owner prior to his death. I honestly don't think Wilson cares if the Bills are in Buffalo after he passes. As has been stated, they will be sold to the highest bidder and Wilson's family will pocket an assload of money. For the record, I do think there are groups in Buffalo that could afford to buy the team, but not in an auction setting. I'm pretty sure the group from Toronto could outbid most of their competition.
                    I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                      • Sep 2003

Remaining with the status quo will be the downfall of football in Western NY! Trying to expand the fan base to Toronto in hopes of keeping the Bills in Buffalo can work! I sure some company will come up with Busses and or a ferry to make those traveling a real party time! I think it would be a bash to get a boat load of bills fans and party on up to Toronto!

Bottom line it's 98 miles from Buffalo to Toronto! Get those Passports!

Comment

• Michael82
                        • Jul 2002

The big thing is that the ticket process is not like everyone thinks. They talked about it on WGR and said that what the Bills are doing is kind of like what the Sabres did with the Winter Classic. They are taking one home game from their schedule and "selling it" to Toronto. Ralph and the Buffalo Bills get a big chunk of money and then it's up to Toronto to sell tickets and market the hell out of it. The season ticket holders would have one less game in their ticket book, 2 if you count the preseason game too and their final price would probably be cheaper now. If season ticket holders want to go to the game, they need to get it thru Toronto, just like everybody else. Toronto is allowed to do what they want with the tickets and can sell them for what they want and how they want. Once they give Ralph the money to buy the game, it's no longer the concern of the Buffalo Bills.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Dec 2005

To be honest, that's why I like giving them two games (plus one preseason). First off, before we go any further... this should be a signed agreement between all parties involved for a good stretch of time (say 10-15 years). That way, it doesn't immediately lead to our relocation on the death of Ralph. That being said, the advantages are...

1. We have 7 games to sell to our local base (1 pre, 6 reg.), which makes a season ticket package much more attractive to the average WNYer (70% what it used to cost). Less supply (games) leads to more demand for those games, ensuring sell-outs as well.

2. We gain a ton of revenue from the 3 games in Toronto that we had no way of gaining otherwise. This leads to more money to spend on the product on the field and less "cash to cap" nonsense.

3. Even if its marginal, we almost certainly gain a Canadian fan base that we didn't have before. It's interesting... I was up in Toronto 3 seperate times this summer for training and in talking to a lot of these guys, they are NFL fans but they seem to be missing the "over the top" effect of seeing a game in their home town (especially if it's "their" team). I think something like this would be enough of a hook for many of them to become true fans.

Another disclaimer: all playoff games in Buffalo. Give the 3 game buyers first crack and what's left after the season ticket holders and have they make the trip down if they so desire (huge boon to the economy).

4. Bills fans get to see their team in another place (non-hostile no less), which is always a good time. If I was in Buffalo, I would go to at least one of the Toronto games every year, and I'm sure others would as well. What a great weekend that would be.

Granted, if we had no worries of losing the team, I wouldn't be advocating this. But since that concern is real, you have to start coming up with some pragmatic, workable ideas that will keep the Bills here. Stubborness in this case leads to utter disappointment in the end. My 2 cents.

Comment

• Gunzlingr
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37

That is what I understand is part of the point of this. Ralph is being proactive so that when it is Buffalo's turn for the international game, is only a few hours away for the fans instead of overseas.
                            You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                              • Sep 2003

Ralph to owners: "Can we please do something that will allow us to put a more competitive team on the field?"

Owners: "Well, when it put it that way - ummmm, no."
                              "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

Working...
                              X