Here's a Great Analysis on Edwards!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a Great Analysis on Edwards!

I hope this hasn't been posted. I picked up the link over at TSW.

This is exactly the conclusion that I've come to independently with Edwards and have documented as such. It's spot on.

In a nutshell, Edwards only strength right now appears to be his short game accuracy and completion percentage. While everyone's ballyhooing Edwards' completion percentage, few have picked up on the fact that he's simply not getting the job done in converting 3rd-downs.

As an analogy, it was sort of like Bledsoe throwing for a ton of yards but only down to the red zone when room for him to operate in his element and at his strength disappearted rendering him all but useless down in the red zone, the most important area.

Ditto for Edwards. His inability to convert 3rd-downs is also indicative that our red zone production will not increase w/ him in there barring massive improvement.

Not saying that our RZ production is any worse than w/ JP, it isn't. As a team anyway. Strictly between Edwards and JP I'm guessing that JP was better even if most of his conversions were on deeper throws.

That's why I am ambivalent however about Edwards and why just as JP really needed to hone his short game in order to be successful as a starting NFL QB, so too Edwards needs to hone up his game too w/ accuracy on medium-deep balls and he must learn how to convert on third downs, not merely throw for a 5-yard completion while we need 7 or 8.

Think about it, he could go 100% in a game w/o every converting a 3rd down.

The article has some specifics regarding his ypa/ypc too.

Anyway, for anyone interested in the realities of Edwards and what to look for down the road to find out if he's making progress, read it. It will certainly give you a basis for Evans' take.

I feel very sorry for Lee.
  • berndog5
    • Jun 2003

Re: Here's a Great Analysis on Edwards!

Everyone keeps talking about the only ame Edwards has is the short game. When I watched him vs. the Ravens he would of had two long TD passed had it not been for the Interference call on Roscoe, and the bobble by Evans. In both cases the long pass was dead on and in Evans case he was gone if he had not bobbled.

Comment

• Bulldog
      Top Dog
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Wys Guy
      http://www.footballoutsiders.com/200...n-sunday/5646/

I hope this hasn't been posted. I picked up the link over at TSW.

This is exactly the conclusion that I've come to independently with Edwards and have documented as such. It's spot on.

In a nutshell, Edwards only strength right now appears to be his short game accuracy and completion percentage. While everyone's ballyhooing Edwards' completion percentage, few have picked up on the fact that he's simply not getting the job done in converting 3rd-downs.

As an analogy, it was sort of like Bledsoe throwing for a ton of yards but only down to the red zone when room for him to operate in his element and at his strength disappearted rendering him all but useless down in the red zone, the most important area.

Ditto for Edwards. His inability to convert 3rd-downs is also indicative that our red zone production will not increase w/ him in there barring massive improvement.

Not saying that our RZ production is any worse than w/ JP, it isn't. As a team anyway. Strictly between Edwards and JP I'm guessing that JP was better even if most of his conversions were on deeper throws.

That's why I am ambivalent however about Edwards and why just as JP really needed to hone his short game in order to be successful as a starting NFL QB, so too Edwards needs to hone up his game too w/ accuracy on medium-deep balls and he must learn how to convert on third downs, not merely throw for a 5-yard completion while we need 7 or 8.

Think about it, he could go 100% in a game w/o every converting a 3rd down.

The article has some specifics regarding his ypa/ypc too.

Anyway, for anyone interested in the realities of Edwards and what to look for down the road to find out if he's making progress, read it. It will certainly give you a basis for Evans' take.

I feel very sorry for Lee.
      Wys, what does Buffalo's time of possession look like when Losman is the QB versus when Edwards is? That's a serious question by the way. But it would make sense to me that by completing a high percentage of your passes, as Edwards does, a team should be able to sustain more first downs and control the clock. It seems that this is the case the last few games and is one of the reasons I feel that Buffalo's defense has started to play better. Well, that and the fact that they have played some pretty bad offensive teams lately. Just curious to see if there is any correlation between the two.
      I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• mybills
        81 st zoner
        • Jul 2002

I feel sorry for this entire team. Including Edwards.
        They play musical QB's to take your mind off the amount of money they put into the OL, they get half the production from the OL (protect the QB/don't stop the run) the former is justifying their QB starter decision, even with his half production, (but the half of the OL that is working, is the only reason Trent is having any production, and they barely address Lynch's half production, which is caused by the half production by the OL. But...let's harp all over Lee Evans and anyone else who speaks up to defend their name due to lack of production mentioned above.
        I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

Originally posted by berndog5
          Everyone keeps talking about the only ame Edwards has is the short game. When I watched him vs. the Ravens he would of had two long TD passed had it not been for the Interference call on Roscoe, and the bobble by Evans. In both cases the long pass was dead on and in Evans case he was gone if he had not bobbled.
          He had at least two very inaccurate medium-deep throws on Sunday. It's not as if he lofted 20.

It's an issue and it's not as if I'm the only one that has called him on it.

Developing. Stay tuned.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
            • Jul 2002

I agree. He certainly needs to improve on medium to deep throws. He seems to have a strong enough arm to make it happen. Lets hope he can.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
              • Jul 2003

A small sample-size, against 3 of the better defensive teams in the NFL (NE, Dal, Bal).

It is a little early to be drawing broad conclusions about the kid. He should play, and he will take his lumps at times being a rookie, but what you want to see is command of the offense and execution improving over time.

Comment

Originally posted by mybills
                I feel sorry for this entire team. Including Edwards.
                They play musical QB's to take your mind off the amount of money they put into the OL, they get half the production from the OL (protect the QB/don't stop the run) the former is justifying their QB starter decision, even with his half production, (but the half of the OL that is working, is the only reason Trent is having any production, and they barely address Lynch's half production, which is caused by the half production by the OL. But...let's harp all over Lee Evans and anyone else who speaks up to defend their name due to lack of production mentioned above.
                Great points mybills!

Brings back memories of Ruben Brown. The Bills are team-non-grata now in terms of the players.

Indeed, we cannot blame the players and I've opined as much. The fault lays with the cast and crew (Levy, Jauron, personnel dept.) that keeps suggesting that they see things that other coaches and league experts don't see, such as with Nall or Langston Walker or even in giving Dockery that enormous contract that wasn't worth it.

The players are trying hard. That's not the problem. The problem are those orchestrating them and selecting the players. We have far too many players on this team that deserve to be backups only and play like it. But that's what they are, backup caliber players. It's not their fault that someone else selected them to start and overpaid them. Good for them in fact. If the team called me and told me that they'd pay me veteran minimum to play, I'd take it, get my imminent injury from getting pounded, and retire. LOL

But that then brings up another point, if the problem is not the players, then until we correct what it really is, it won't matter now, will it.

That's why we're years, not merely a draft or two, or an offseason or two, away from being good. Not the team (players), but the entire organization needs a complete rebuild.

Comment

• mybills
                  81 st zoner
                  • Jul 2002

It seems like a never ending nightmare.
                  I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

Originally posted by NE39
                    A small sample-size, against 3 of the better defensive teams in the NFL (NE, Dal, Bal).

It is a little early to be drawing broad conclusions about the kid. He should play, and he will take his lumps at times being a rookie, but what you want to see is command of the offense and execution improving over time.
                    You're right, it is a little too early to be drawing conclusions. But the ones that are are the ones that have already written JP off. IMO it was still a little too early to be drawing final conclusions on JP too. If Edwards gets the same number of starts, then somewhere towards the end of next season his time will be up too. Fair?

As to those Ds, you overrate the D that the Ravens brought to the Ralph on Sunday. They are a lot closer to mediocre than they are to what they were last season right now.

Dallas too, their D is good, but far from top notch. Against NE Edwards played poorly. He also had worse overall team performances vs. the Jets than either Boller or Green. His rating was good largely due to his completion percentage, but again, his 3rd-down completions were light and he nickeled and dimed it. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement thus far either.

Once again, fans are perhaps setting themselves up for disappointment.

Frankly, I'm not sure who's better right now, JP or Edwards. But Edwards got the nod. If the staff now continues to flip-flop their decision, then that would say so little for them. So Edwards should be in there for the long haul.

JP will go away, and I all but promise that he will play better elsewhere.

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by berndog5
                      the pass to both roscoe and evans were underthrown.

evans had to slow down and reach back on the wrong side to catch it.. that was the throw.. evans himself said so.

i cant remember the roscoe pass perfectly, but did he not have to slow down and the db grabbed him? meaning the pass was underthrown there as well?

either way, neither pass was pretty.
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                        • Sep 2003

Here is another analysis

2-1
                        3-0 if we recover a dam on-side kick!

Comment

Originally posted by mybills
                          It seems like a never ending nightmare.
                          It is. It's why the team is seeing "diminishing fan base" too.

I've certainly lost interest. Going to games used to be fun. Now it's a merely a social gathering and if you don't have a big social thing planned out, then what's the point. At least as I see it. Many agree.

If this organization could be summed up in one word, it is "incompetence." Since incompetence breeds more incompetence, thus the nightmare for those of us that have no influence.

It's ironic that fans posting here, watching games on TV, and sitting at bars on Sundays watching this debacle continuously unfold seem to know much more than those that get paid what, how much does Jauron get paid?, do.

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39

i was happy with what i saw from losman, as the majority of people here were, last year... so that being said.. losmans sample size is even smaller.. 2 games against 2 defenses that were better than dallas, who held us to 3 points, even with 6 TOs.. the jets defense is s sieve, and he did very little against htem, and baltimore was beat to hell with injuries.

you can make excuses either way for either guy.
                            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• camelcowboy
                              • Mar 2005

I don't get this third down conversion crap its a strength of edwards he moves the chains. Its the only reason why i like him better then losman and the 3 and outs.

Comment

Working...
                              X