PDA

View Full Version : DT Ellis might not be so bad

mysticsoto
10-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Since Dorsey will likely be taken by the time we draft, I thought it might be a good idea to get to know the next runner up better and see how good he is - just in case we prefer DT or WR. This sounds promising on Sedrick Ellis (DT) 6'1", 285 lbs, 4.95, USC...

For Ellis, 'star' label not needed

On a team that hoards them and in a city that idolizes them, Sedrick Ellis has never been quite a star.

An All-American, a future NFL first-round draft pick, the former Pac-10 defensive lineman of the year and a nightmare for opposing offensive lines and quarterbacks who hope not to meet him - just not a star.

And he doesn't need to be one.
Ellis does not only leave massive holes in his wake where offensive linemen once stood their ground: he also leaves glory and notoriety for the taking by the more heralded linebackers behind him.

Yet despite often commanding a double team, being tag-teamed by an opposing team's center and guard, Ellis has recorded a team-leading 5.5 sacks and 7 tackles for loss this season.
No doubt, Ellis' power is his strength - he bench presses a ridiculous team-high 510 pounds and repped an equally absurd 225 pounds 42 times at last year's USC Pro Day.

But by no means does Ellis excel on pure muscle alone. What makes him one of the best players in the nation are his deceptively quick feet and his increasingly effective cerebral dissection of the game.

It's a rare blend of brute strength and athleticism that drives offensive lines crazy and leaves NFL teams lining up for his services.

Ellis, however, is not the only defensive tackle that NFL scouts are crossing the country to watch. LSU's Glenn Dorsey is considered by some (also known as Mel Kiper) to be the best senior NFL prospect in the country at any position.

"No, I don't know [Dorsey] at all," Ellis said, shrugging off the comparison. "I think we are different types of players. I use my quickness more."

http://media.www.dailytrojan.com/media/storage/paper679/news/2007/10/24/Sports/For-Ellis.star.Label.Not.Needed-3052549.shtml

hydro
10-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Sounds good to me. Just as long as the numbers similar to that show up on a professional field.

DraftBoy
10-24-2007, 01:59 PM
42 times?!?!? Thats nuts

mysticsoto
10-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Ellis is a dominating force in the middle of the Trojan's defense. He is unbelievably strong, and he uses that to his adavantage as he routinely man-handles his opponents on his way to the ball carrier.

http://www.draftseason.com/index2.php?Page_Name=PlayerProfile2&id=698

mysticsoto
10-24-2007, 02:38 PM
I'm not sure if this will work correctly, but below is what I think is a link to a clip on Ellis forcing a penalty/safety due to a holding call in the endzone. I can't confirm this since my job firewalls youtube out...maybe someone can confirm for me?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PwOQKZtu3l0

mysticsoto
10-24-2007, 02:54 PM
USC’s Sedrick Ellis at 6' 1" 288 pounds might not have the perfect size for a defensive tackle, but they said the same things about the Bears’ Pro bowl tackle Tommy Harris when he entered the NFL Draft. Ellis was the new baby Sapp against the Michigan Wolverines in the 2006 Rose Bowl. He was too much for the heralded <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:state w:st="on">Michigan</st1:state></st1:place> offensive line, consistently crushing the middle and plugging the run or putting pressure on QB Drew Henson. He was a key cog in USC’s stunning 32-18 defeat of <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Michigan</st1:place></st1:state>. Ellis helped hold <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:state w:st="on">Michigan</st1:state></st1:place> to only 12 rushing yards in the entire game.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_draft/sedrick_ellis.htm

DraftBoy
10-24-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm not sure if this will work correctly, but below is what I think is a link to a clip on Ellis forcing a penalty/safety due to a holding call in the endzone. I can't confirm this since my job firewalls youtube out...maybe someone can confirm for me?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PwOQKZtu3l0

That it is, they are dumb for only having him go one on one with the OC, they have one of the top guards in the country in Shannon Trevaga on UCLA.

Captain Obvious
10-24-2007, 03:16 PM
[quote=mysticsoto]USC’s Sedrick Ellis at 6' 1" 288 pounds might not have the perfect size for a defensive tackle, but they said the same things about the Bears’ Pro bowl tackle Tommy Harris when he entered the NFL Draft. Ellis was the new baby Sapp against the Michigan Wolverines in the 2006 Rose Bowl. He was too much for the heralded <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:state w:st="on">Michigan</st1:state></st1:place> offensive line, consistently crushing the middle and plugging the run or putting pressure on QB Drew Henson. /quote (http://quote)]

lol.. Didn't Drew Henson leave Michgan 5 or 6 years ago?

mysticsoto
10-29-2007, 08:15 AM
More on Ellis:

USC nose tackle Sedrick Ellis poses a huge obstacle for the Ducks' offensive line Saturday

LOS ANGELES -- That spread-option that Oregon ran down Washington's throat last week has a problem Saturday at Autzen Stadium.

And, at 6-foot-2, 305 pounds, USC nose tackle Sedrick Ellis isn't a little problem.
"In my opinion, he's the best player in college football," said USC guard Jeff Byers, who tangles with Ellis in practice. "He's so strong, so powerful, so fast -- blocking him seems impossible at times."

Some NFL draft experts have knocked Ellis' height, "but to me that is an advantage because it's so hard to get leverage on him," USC tackle Sam Baker said. "You can't move him."

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/119336731110840.xml&coll=7

DraftBoy
10-29-2007, 08:47 AM
More on Ellis:

USC nose tackle Sedrick Ellis poses a huge obstacle for the Ducks' offensive line Saturday

LOS ANGELES -- That spread-option that Oregon ran down Washington's throat last week has a problem Saturday at Autzen Stadium.

And, at 6-foot-2, 305 pounds, USC nose tackle Sedrick Ellis isn't a little problem.
"In my opinion, he's the best player in college football," said USC guard Jeff Byers, who tangles with Ellis in practice. "He's so strong, so powerful, so fast -- blocking him seems impossible at times."

Some NFL draft experts have knocked Ellis' height, "but to me that is an advantage because it's so hard to get leverage on him," USC tackle Sam Baker said. "You can't move him."

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/119336731110840.xml&coll=7

He was an absolute terror on Saturday for Oregon, he made Stewart's life difficult when running inside.

PECKERWOOD
10-30-2007, 09:46 PM
225 42 times? I work out on a regular basis and that is just ridiculous. I could probably get close to 40 reps bench press at like 100 lbs, maybe even less! Holy crap that guy is strong.

The more I hear about Ellis, the more I hope the Bills draft him but alot like Amobi Okoye, I think his draft stock is going to rise come draft day.

TigerJ
11-01-2007, 09:07 PM
He would be strictly a three technique guy, the penetrator, rather than a "stand your ground one technique nose tackle. It would depend greatly on how satisfied the Bills are with the play of Larry Tripplett and what Tripplett's contract numbers are. Some people like to diss Tripplett'splay, but I understand the Bills consider that he has been reasonably effective this season. If the Bills are happy with the tandem of McCargo/Tripplett at the 3 technique position, they might take a look at Frank Okam.

PECKERWOOD
11-02-2007, 06:54 PM
He would be strictly a three technique guy, the penetrator, rather than a "stand your ground one technique nose tackle. It would depend greatly on how satisfied the Bills are with the play of Larry Tripplett and what Tripplett's contract numbers are. Some people like to diss Tripplett'splay, but I understand the Bills consider that he has been reasonably effective this season. If the Bills are happy with the tandem of McCargo/Tripplett at the 3 technique position, they might take a look at Frank Okam.

McCargo can do 3 technique as well. :idunno: