PDA

View Full Version : Draft 2003: 1st Round Selection, Offense or Defense?

BillsMan80
03-26-2003, 11:16 PM
There is a big debate over where we should go with our first round selection. I think the debate is quite simple. We have filled all of our defensive holes, and we have some holes left on offense. Think about our defense. We don't have room for a Defensive End. Jones and Schobel will start, McKenzie is a proven pass rusher, and I don't think TD is ready to give up Irons or Denney yet, especially Denney, because he was a 2nd Round Pick. At DT, I think that we don't have room either. Adams and Pat are set here at the DT position for at least 2 more years if not more, and I am sure this will help the development of Ron Edwards and Justin Bannan which is what we want. I think both show ability, but must be given time to develop, but as of now, they are fine as backups. Our LBs are clearly solid based on Free Agent acquisitions, and I don't think there is a need for a Safety with the signing of Izell Reese. Many people bring up Cornerback, but Kevin Thomas showed great talent in his limited time towards the end of the year, and Bostic stepped up before his injury. To me it's quite obvious what needs to be addressed. There are 3 or 4 ways to go with our 1st Round Selection...RB, WR, TE, or OL. We do not have an established back to carry the load or a capable back to carry the load should Travis go down. We still need a speed WR in my opinion to stretch the field. We still need a real pass catching threat at TE, and we still need depth on the Offensive Line. Now who does that mean I might target with a pick?

1st Round
Jason Witten
Kelley Washington
Taylor Jacobs
Larry Johnson
Eric Steinbach
Jeff Faine

2nd Round
Dallas Clark
Bryant Johnson
Willis McGahee
Lee Suggs
Onterrio Smith
Al Johnson
Montrae Holland

It's quite simple folks, the offense needs the toppings, but it already has the dressing...The defense has it all.

venis2k1
03-27-2003, 12:07 AM
I want Jeff Faine...:)

Bert102176
03-27-2003, 12:58 AM
I want Teyo Johnson

flyonearboy
03-27-2003, 02:14 AM
I agree. The Bills need to go offense with their first pick in the draft. Specifically, the best available running back! There is going to be a steal with this pick, I can feel it. The running backs are getting no respect from the scouts but TD will find one.

In other news, this is the most exciting off season ever for the Buffalo Bills. I cannot tell you how much respect I have for Tom D and his staff...This season will be a true test for Greg Williams. He has been given the players and the support staff- Does he have the natural ability to bring this new team together and create a winner? I hope so. If not, he is gone before the end of the season.

PA Season Ticket Holder
03-27-2003, 02:17 AM
We're still a dominant DE away from a great defense. We can't rely on Marcus Jones. He will be average at best. If we can get one in the 1st round, then the rest of the draft can be focused on the best player and depth the rest of the way.

If McDougle or Redding is still there at #23, then we have to take him. I'd love to trade up and take Suggs but that could never happen. We should even try to trade down a few slots if the DE's are gone and pick up an extra pick.

If one of the good DE's isn't there, I'd shift my attention to the OL. We need some more depth in this area.

I'd then look for Eric Steinbach. He can play every positon on the line. That assest is invaluable. I'd almost take him over one of the DE's if we didn't have such a glaring need there. Rueben is getting any younger/cheaper, and we have no idea what will happen with Jennings and Sullivan.

These are my favorite draft scenarios.

Rd 1:

A- DE- If McDougle or Redding is there, then we have to take them.

B- OL- Eric Steinbach- He can play every position on the line. We could be dominant.

C- C- Jeff Faine- We haven't had a good C since Kent Hull. Teague is getting paid too much to be an average C.

D- DT- If for some reason that all 4 of them are gone, then we need another dominant DT. If Long or Peterson is there, then I'd take him if the other 4 are gone. Adams will miss his usual 3-5 games a year, and it would be great to rotate Williams,

Round 2 really depends on what happens in round 1.

If we get a DE in the first:

A- WR- We'd have 3 good WR's for the next 4 years. Our passing game wouldn't miss a beat.

B- DT- We still need another solid DT. When Adams is out of the game we're still left with that junk that was on the field last year. While both Adams and Williams are healthy, we'd have some great depth and a wicked rotation to stay fresh.

3rd Round- OL- This is where we get our depth. We're playing with fire with what we are currently fielding for next year. If we get OL in the first round, then we go for a CB here.

4th Round- RB/FB- Even if we get Olandis Gary, you can never have enough RB depth. Keep Henry, Gary, DRAFTEE, and Morris.

5th Round- OLB- Our LB's all of a sudden look pretty good, but there is really nobody behind our starters.

With the 6th and 7th picks, we should just go for the best available player that suits our team.

Jaydog57
03-27-2003, 02:57 AM
You guys would like McGahee as a RB, he smoked for my Hurricanes last year, and he should be good after he heals up from surgery. Are ya tired of Travis Henry already? Leave us Washington though. Although, you guys need another WR cause Price left. Forgive me if I feel now remorse. We might be in a duel for Washington in the draft :duel: , but we'll see. At least ya got Spikes from the Bengals, so that should help. Do you guys get a first round pick? This is the 2nd year in a row we don't get one, I think we get, like # 47 or something. Last year paid off (sort of). I mean, we got the running game, but if you don't go anywhere with it, it means zilch. Hopefully we'll both have great teams next year and the AFC East rivalry will go back to Phins/Bills, and the Jets can go back to the dumpster nibbling on leftovers.:drool:

SABURZFAN
03-27-2003, 07:24 AM
i predicted on Eb's thread that i wanted jeff faine.i'm still sticking with it.we need to add depth to our OL.i'm sure that someone will slip in the 2nd round for DL.

Kevikid
03-27-2003, 07:42 AM
From kffl.com's news wire:

Bills | Thompson to Visit - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
0:27 PT: Matt Gambill, of All Pro Scouting, has informed KFFL that LB Chaun Thompson (W. Texas A&M) was scheduled to visit with the Buffalo Bills on Wednesday.

http://nfl.kffl.com/news/hotwire/

A good late first or early second round pick, but he's been really popular across the NFL. He's a Div II player with good measurables and was All-America last year. We might just take him for the sake of depth or use some 3-4 sets. SI's been following him too.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2003/draft/news/2003/03/25/thompson_three/

Cntrygal
03-27-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by flyonearboy
I agree. The Bills need to go offense with their first pick in the draft. Specifically, the best available running back! There is going to be a steal with this pick, I can feel it. The running backs are getting no respect from the scouts but TD will find one.

In other news, this is the most exciting off season ever for the Buffalo Bills. I cannot tell you how much respect I have for Tom D and his staff...This season will be a true test for Greg Williams. He has been given the players and the support staff- Does he have the natural ability to bring this new team together and create a winner? I hope so. If not, he is gone before the end of the season.

Welcome to the Zone!!! :)

Cntrygal
03-27-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Jaydog57
At least ya got Spikes from the Bengals, so that should help. Do you guys get a first round pick?

We got a first round (#23 I believe) for Price (NOT Spikes). We had given up our first round for Bledsoe - so we now have just the ONE first rounder.

BillsMan80
03-27-2003, 10:19 AM
Marcus Jones isn't average at best. He's a double digit Sack DE and will be fine with our talent. I think he will get 11 or 12 sacks this year and possibly go to the Pro Bowl. We DO NOT need a DE nor have room for one. The ONLY DE who we should take at 23 would be Jerome McDougal if he fell. No one else would be worth bringing in. Redding isn't even a 1st Round talent IMO.

Akhippo
03-27-2003, 11:07 AM
I think DT is a first round need. Using the notion that you usually get starter material in the first round. Sam and Pat are excellent, but if one goes down, which is a good possibility, were right back to the same problem we had last year. If you could keep a rotation of fresh DTs, the D is that much more aggressive. But again, if a talent that was projected to go high slides, that would be the right pick, for instance if Boss Bailey slid. Even with the new LBs I think you have to snatch him up. 2nd round OL and 3rd FS or WR.

Bert102176
03-27-2003, 12:19 PM
If we draft McGahee I would be very happy, I think we could get him at our second pick but don't think he would be there in the first, would love Boss Bailey if there with our 1st pick but I doubt he will beI really doubt we would drat a WR with our first pic cause of the running game they wanna do this year AKA the real reason Price is gone besides the money reason. would really like Teyo Johnson TE in the second if McGahee has been taken or in the 3rd if he is there.

TigerJ
03-27-2003, 12:51 PM
I think Chaun Thompson is probably a third rounder at this point. His Div II background drops him. McGahee is a serious reach in round 1 due to his reconstruction surgery. I think Buffalo really is pretty much in a position to pick the best player available. A DT like Ty Warren would provide a solid guy to rotate in especially on passing downs. Jeff Faine would upgrade the center position. Rashean Mathis will be a pro bowl free safety in a couple years. Kelly Washington is a Terrell Owens-like WR.

PA Season Ticket Holder
03-27-2003, 01:12 PM
Marcus Jones has had like 1 good year when he was healthy. I don't expect him to finally get better after he's coming off a knee injury.

I wish he could put up 12 sacks next year, but it will never happen. I'll bet you zonebucks it won't.

BillsMan80
03-27-2003, 06:25 PM
500 ZBs and you have a bet...Marcus Jones, 12 sacks.

PA Season Ticket Holder
03-27-2003, 07:46 PM
You have a bet. It's a bet I'd be very happy about losing.