X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

Just for a minute...

(Disclaimer: This is not a bash JP thread. I like JP, am a big fan. But, like the rest of you, I am trying to move on)

Just for a minute, let's get into the mindset that JP was never drafted and never played for the Buffalo Bills. Let's assume for a moment, that our 2006 starting QB suffered a career ending injury in the last game of the 2006 season. In response to that injury, Bills Management drafted Trent Edwards in the 3rd round of the 2007 NFL draft.

Now, let's also pretend that the first 3 games of 2007 never happened. We did not play the Broncos, the Steelers, and the Patriots.

The season started with the Bills playing the Jets.

Trent Edwards first start as a Buffalo Bill. And he won the game at home. The following week, he played his first, and Buffalo's first in 13+ years, Monday Night Game against what most in the league considered a top 3-4 team. The team came within 2 seconds of winning the game. We then had a bye. The following week, faced a (at least statistically speaking) great Baltimore defense, and won.

Now... my question for you. With all of that said, are we sitting here on BillsZone discussing his short-comings? His "noodle arm"? His 1 TD in 3 games compared to 4 INT's?

No. My guess is that we'd be sitting here talking about the next coming of Jim Kelly... the QB to end all Bills QB controversies!

What I'm getting to is this... let's judge Trent Edwards, not in terms of competition with JP, not just on Win/Loss record... but as a rookie, who is 2 and 1 as a starter for a franchise that hasn't had great QB hope in almost 10 years.

That is the perspective I am taking when I root for Trent Edwards this Sunday against the Jets.

Will you join me?
  • mybills
    81 st zoner
    • Jul 2002

Re: Just for a minute...

Pretend all you want.
    My anger has nothing to do with either QB.
    I'm just sick of the musical QB crap they pull every couple of years.
    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

I like JP, too, but the fact is, he's the the biggest holdover from the very forgetable Donahoe era.

Edwards, conversely, is a Marv-Dick guy with a strong endorsement from the late Bill Walsh.

Did any of us really think JP had a chance under the new regime?
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Tatonka
        • Jul 2002

people will find something wrong with everyone.. there will always be people that want to play devils advocate.. i have never been one of those people before, but since i dont agree with the awful choices the coaching staff has made (a staff that i have always supported), i will
        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
          I like JP, too, but the fact is, he's the the biggest holdover from the very forgetable Donahoe era.

Edwards, conversely, is a Marv-Dick guy with a strong endorsement from the late Bill Walsh.

Did any of us really think JP had a chance under the new regime?
          do you think it will matter for TE? when the current awful coaching staff gets fired.. the new coach will want "his guy" and we will be back at square one.
          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Gunzlingr
            • Jul 2002

I wouldn't be calling him the next Jim Kelly. He did nothing in the Monday night game or the Baltimore game. I would be just as disgusted as I am now because out QB situation sucks. Not as bad as Jacksonvilles with Gray at QB, more along the lines of Minnesota.
            You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• Pride
              • Jul 2002

I call Bull***** Gunz.

You're telling me.. without the JP Influence and QB controversy... strictly looking at a 2 and 1 start to the 2007 season with Trent Edwards at QB... you'd be just as disgusted?

That's the problem with this board... people are so in love with being miserable, that they can't look past it to see anything good.

Comment

• mybills
                81 st zoner
                • Jul 2002

There is nothing good about knowing they will do the same thing to Trent.
                Don't get too attached to him.
                I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                  Zero for Zero!
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Pride
                  I call Bull***** Gunz.

You're telling me.. without the JP Influence and QB controversy... strictly looking at a 2 and 1 start to the 2007 season with Trent Edwards at QB... you'd be just as disgusted?

That's the problem with this board... people are so in love with being miserable, that they can't look past it to see anything good.
                  I don't totally agree Pride.

Fact is your proposed scenario did not happen. There is a legitimate alternative to Edwards, which makes the situation much different.

There is also the fact that there are those who fail to acknowledge that there COULD be physical limitations in Edwards abilities to be successful long term

I really don't care who is QB, as long as they play well and the team wins. But in the Dallas game, for all of the praise Edwards received, the offense scored 3 points off of 4 TO's.

There are those that are miserable no matter what. And there are bitter JP supporters. But I think most people are still going to root for Edwards to succeed. But there are also those of us that are not ready to annoit him the 2nd coming.

I'll be rooting for him this week and screaming like hell against Cinci.

I just hope the coaches are right and I am wrong.
                  Originally posted by mysticsoto
                  Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Gunzlingr
                    • Jul 2002

I call Bull***** Gunz.

You would be happy with 1 touchdown and 3 INTs???? You wouldn't complain about being 29th in the league in points and 31st in passing yards????

My argument has nothing to with JP since he wasn't doing well either, but to annoint TE as the second coming over 3 very lackluster games is assinine.
                    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• Pride
                      • Jul 2002

I actually disagree.

The problem with your thinking is that you are not looking at TE as a rookie, but rather as JP's competition. You are comparing a rookie to a 4th year QB.

As I said in this thread... if you think of TE as ONLY a ROOKIE making his first 3 NFL starts... I'm VERY pleased with the results. Can he and does he need to improve? Absolutely.

But take TE's first 3 starts and compare them to any other QB in the history of the NFL and find someone else that was far and away better in their first 3 starts. With the exception of 1 or 2... I doubt you could!

Comment

• Gunzlingr
                        • Jul 2002

I actually disagree.

The problem with your thinking is that you are not looking at TE as a rookie, but rather as JP's competition. You are comparing a rookie to a 4th year QB.

As I said in this thread... if you think of TE as ONLY a ROOKIE making his first 3 NFL starts... I'm VERY pleased with the results. Can he and does he need to improve? Absolutely.

But take TE's first 3 starts and compare them to any other QB in the history of the NFL and find someone else that was far and away better in their first 3 starts. With the exception of 1 or 2... I doubt you could!
                        You are the one that said we would be calling him the next Jim Kelly not me. I disagree with that. He hasn't done anything to win games, and has thrown 2 bad picks at very bad times.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

in this situation I would still have the same opinion of him, Edwards isn't clutch. A young Holcomb with an arm that he has yet to use to his advantage.

Next, I would still be questioning our coaches decisions especially Fairchild .
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Michael82
                            • Jul 2002

Seeing how his first real NFL action was against the Patriots...that is the game you have to consider his first. So basically you look at this and say....

@New England Patriots - 10/20 for 97 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT
                            vs New York Jets - 22/38 for 234 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT
                            vs Dallas Cowboys - 23/31 for 176 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT
                            BYE
                            vs Baltimore Ravens - 11/21 for 153 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT

2-2 record. It's not bad for a rookie. But the 1 interception per game is a little scary. It's nowhere near Jim Kelly or Tom Brady stats. I feel that his play reminds me of our last backup QB, Kelly Holcomb. He's great at checking off, and seems scared to throw to his receivers much. He's rather just dump the ball off. But again, he's only a rookie. So he does have the same thing that JP used to have....lot's of potential! Again though, last year, we used the young, inexperienced talk with JP and the haters called us lickers and said that those are just excuses. How come it's okay to use them with Trent? I don't understand.

Comment

• mybills
                              81 st zoner
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82

@New England Patriots - 10/20 for 97 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT
                              vs New York Jets - 22/38 for 234 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT
                              vs Dallas Cowboys - 23/31 for 176 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT
                              BYE
                              vs Baltimore Ravens - 11/21 for 153 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT
                              660 yards , 1 TD, 4 INT.

Comment

Working...
                              X