PDA

View Full Version : Would JP stay on as a backup next year?

Mr. Miyagi
10-25-2007, 04:00 PM
On one hand I would really like to have JP as some sort of insurance in Buffalo. Quality backups who could win a couple of games if the starter goes down are hard to find these days.

On the other hand I want to see JP gets another shot at the starter job. I would LOVE to see him traded to Green Bay so I could watch him all the time and root for him. Also he's sort of the gunslinger type that Favre is so he'd fit right in.

If you were JP, would you stay?

Gunzlingr
10-25-2007, 04:04 PM

Not for all the tea in china.

I have a feeling he will go somewhere else and do just fine.

TigerJ
10-25-2007, 04:05 PM
No

trapezeus
10-25-2007, 04:16 PM
depends on the market. if i can go compete somewhere else and get a contract as a starter, then no. i wouldn't stay in buffalo.

but if the other offers are to get a cheap deal, and be a backup, then yeah, i'd think about staying here.

But just like anyjob, and more so in the light of professional sports, JP must feel a real push that he's not needed. it takes an incredible amount of tolerance and lack of confidence to stay through something like that.

Mr. Pink
10-25-2007, 04:20 PM
The only way JP isn't here next year is if he's outright cut in TC or preseason.

I don't see any team that will want a 5th year NFL QB with little to no experience who flat out wasn't good in his limited experience to be interested in trading for him.

trapezeus
10-25-2007, 04:24 PM
The only way JP isn't here next year is if he's outright cut in TC or preseason.

I don't see any team that will want a 5th year NFL QB with little to no experience who flat out wasn't good in his limited experience to be interested in trading for him.

i politely disagree. the fact that Trent Green had trade value despite being ancient, not wanted by KC in any capacity, and was going to be cut, suggests that there is an obligatory trade value in an QB with starting experience. The dolphins could have simply waited to get green off the wires like how most players are aquired. but there is a different set of rules for QBs. The bills don't want him, there are 3 or 4 teams who have nothing at QB and think that a veteran stabilizes the position while the draft can develop other needs.

For Losman to be on this team, he will have to be a saint or insane to take a huge paycut to be in a city that suggests they don't want him.

prinycesa07
10-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Would depend on my options but no, i don't think i would want to stay.

Mr. Pink
10-25-2007, 04:33 PM
i politely disagree. the fact that Trent Green had trade value despite being ancient, not wanted by KC in any capacity, and was going to be cut, suggests that there is an obligatory trade value in an QB with starting experience. The dolphins could have simply waited to get green off the wires like how most players are aquired. but there is a different set of rules for QBs. The bills don't want him, there are 3 or 4 teams who have nothing at QB and think that a veteran stabilizes the position while the draft can develop other needs.

For Losman to be on this team, he will have to be a saint or insane to take a huge paycut to be in a city that suggests they don't want him.

Green had years of good work to go from. Dolphins traded for him hoping he could return to 3 years ago form...and still only gave up a 6th I believe to get him.

When you get to the offseason, it's a different "ball-game" so to say. There are plenty of scrap heap QBs to choose from, which is what JP essentially is now. Why trade for a guy that you can get for free in the FA market? Or when you can draft a QB.

Losman is at best a backup QB in this league, to literally every team in the NFL, I honestly don't see one team that would honestly go into the season saying JP can be our starting QB.

During the season, players have a higher value because of injuries, hell the Browns even fleeced the Hawks for a 6th round pick with Charlie Frye. But we passed that deadline for trades, which would have been Losman's highest value trade wise. At best, we might have got a 4th then, but likely a 5th IMO

Mr. Miyagi
10-25-2007, 04:52 PM
These are the teams I could see trading for JP:

Atlanta - may draft Brohm though
Detroit - could fit well in the Martz system
Green Bay - Favre retiring, Rodgers sucks
Jacksonville - when Garrard is your best QB, they could use JP

Elminster
10-25-2007, 04:54 PM
I definitely wouldn't. I'd want to go somewhere were I'd be given a chance....

And I would definitely think we could get a good value for him in a trade. He's a guy whose been successful in the NFL and has great tools. Well-known for his work ethic and his willingness to commit to a community...excellent guy. I'd say we can get a 3rd out of him....

Mr. Pink
10-25-2007, 05:04 PM

While I do agree these teams outside of GB need QBs...Rodgers is unproven and unknown...It's a very heavy and good QB class draft.

Brohm, Henne, Brennan, Woodson, Ryan...all 5 will most likely be Day 1 draft picks...and 4/5 could go in Rd1.

Why would teams be willing to take on our garbage when there is an easy opportunity to pick up and groom their own franchise QB? Not too mention QBs that will be available in FA...Boller and Grossman who are very similiar to JP and who wouldn't require giving anything to give up. Josh McCown and Seneca Wallace are also FAs...

So there's 9 guys to choose from who are on par or have more upside than JP. Why trade for something that you can get "free?"

Forward_Lateral
10-25-2007, 05:08 PM

:rofl: Miyagi. Detroit will not get rid of Kitna for JP. Favre is not going to retire, and if he does, Rodgers will be the guy, not JP.
I'd take Garrard over Losman any day.

Michael82
10-25-2007, 05:12 PM
:rofl: No chance in hell! He's gone and I don't blame him one bit. He got screwed by two coaching staffs in a row. :ill:

Albany,n.y.
10-25-2007, 05:16 PM
Boller is not a free agent, he got a year extension before this season, indicative that he accepts backup status. If JP was smart enough to realize he could be a career backup & cash checks for years like Todd Collins, he'd take a long term contract at backup money with someone. Unfortunately, JP will end up signing a contract that gives him hope at starting & get himself waived out of the league within 3 years.

Albany,n.y.
10-25-2007, 05:25 PM
:rofl: No chance in hell! He's gone and I don't blame him one bit. He got screwed by two coaching staffs in a row. :ill:
Screwed by one coaching staff-maybe. Two coaching staffs bench a QB-99.99% chance that he's a bust & they know it. Name me one other QB who got benched in season by 2 different coaching staffs who ever succeeded in his 3rd shot. I can't find one. Bledsoe got benched in NE, benched in Dallas, got the message & retired.

jamze132
10-25-2007, 05:37 PM
I think JP will be given the chance to seek out a trade partner during the offseason. And I think he will get traded. If wonder if we could fetch a 3rd rounder if we trade him along with a day 2 pick? :scratch:

thecoordinator
10-25-2007, 05:55 PM
the fact that Trent Green had trade value despite being ancient, not wanted by KC in any capacity, and was going to be cut, suggests that there is an obligatory trade value in an QB with starting experience.

trent green had trade value because and only because of cam cameron. jp does not have any ties to any other head coach/gm in the league that im aware of.

Kerr
10-25-2007, 06:58 PM
No chance in hell.

SABURZFAN
10-25-2007, 07:04 PM

he could backup ANOTHER 3rd Round pick too.

YardRat
10-25-2007, 07:18 PM
I wouldn't stay if I were him. But then again, I wouldn't be whining to the media, either.

Mitchy moo
10-25-2007, 07:26 PM
. Quality backups who could win a couple of games .

If we're playing the Jets or Miami this is a factual statement.

codabills
10-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Boller is not a free agent, he got a year extension before this season, indicative that he accepts backup status. If JP was smart enough to realize he could be a career backup & cash checks for years like Todd Collins, he'd take a long term contract at backup money with someone. Unfortunately, JP will end up signing a contract that gives him hope at starting & get himself waived out of the league within 3 years.

Frank Reich did the same thing and made a good living at the same time.

The Jokeman
10-25-2007, 08:37 PM

I think you also include Minnesota and Tampa Bay and possibly St Louis as possible suitors.

PECKERWOOD
10-25-2007, 08:54 PM
If we can get a pick on the first day trade him, if not keep him.

djjimkelly
10-25-2007, 11:42 PM

i would have told bills to release me on tuesday if i was him. that being said i dont think we have heard the last of JP.

but if i was him at years end id make sure i wasnt here

Night Train
10-26-2007, 02:19 AM
They'll move him because both sides will demand it.

don137
10-26-2007, 07:19 AM
Chicago with a decent line could use a QB like Losman. They have some good deep WRs and I think would fit in nicely in that system. For a 3rd round pick I think they would jump at the chance.

BidsJr
10-26-2007, 08:00 AM
Chicago with a decent line could use a QB like Losman. They have some good deep WRs and I think would fit in nicely in that system. For a 3rd round pick I think they would jump at the chance.

They already have one like Losman.

colin
10-26-2007, 08:15 AM
something might work out for us to trade loseman, but it will most likely be a low pick.

i could see jacksonville taking him on if they can't find another back up, or perhaps carolina. don't think he gets traded for to be a starter tho.

trapezeus
10-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Green had years of good work to go from. Dolphins traded for him hoping he could return to 3 years ago form...and still only gave up a 6th I believe to get him.

When you get to the offseason, it's a different "ball-game" so to say. There are plenty of scrap heap QBs to choose from, which is what JP essentially is now. Why trade for a guy that you can get for free in the FA market? Or when you can draft a QB.

Losman is at best a backup QB in this league, to literally every team in the NFL, I honestly don't see one team that would honestly go into the season saying JP can be our starting QB.

During the season, players have a higher value because of injuries, hell the Browns even fleeced the Hawks for a 6th round pick with Charlie Frye. But we passed that deadline for trades, which would have been Losman's highest value trade wise. At best, we might have got a 4th then, but likely a 5th IMO

i see what you are saying, but the truth is that QB's get trade value. it seems to be an unwritten rule. if you've stepped on the field, you have trade value. even very low 6th and 7th round value. if you are practice squad guy, then nothing. JP will get at least one obligatory pick. Plus he's under contract for next year, so it's not like the bills have to cut him. we've screwed him thus far, what's one more year. The bills have to get something for him or he sits the bench another year.

mybills
10-26-2007, 10:15 AM
He got screwed by two coaching staffs in a row.
JP HATERS DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT.

As already mentioned, he could take a check as a back up...but!

He won't, because people have only seen him play in a crappy unorganized system. He's better than that, and he knows it. He'll go to a system that is organized and has stability, and he will show all of his doubters they are wrong. I would love to be able to keep him for the reason Miyagi mentioned (incase TE gets hurt etc) but I know it's impossible due to everything they've done to him already. He's not going to be their whipping boy any longer! :bf1:

deepslant
10-26-2007, 02:37 PM
JP is gone if Edwards survives the year.

Mr. Pink
10-26-2007, 05:28 PM
It amazes me how some think JP will magically be good elsewhere. It also amazes me how some of you think that any team will give him a chance to start too.

JP is what he is, a bust, much like the guy that represents my avatar. Neither will start a game in the NFL again unless Trent gets hurt.

Value wise, he's an inconsistent big armed QB...Why didn't Jeff George's career last longer? Inconsistency and questioning coaches. Why did Akili Smith's career go down the toilet? Inconsistency. Why did the Ravens get McNair? Boller's inconsistency. Inconsistency dooms QBs at the NFL level.

JP's only chance at starting another NFL game is if the starter gets hurt. Be it here or if some other team takes a chance on him as a backup.