PDA

View Full Version : how does season ending IR work?

trapezeus
10-26-2007, 01:22 PM
if you are POZ and get put on IR, does that mean you can't come to the practices or watch the film room? Are you essentially off the team? Or can you come back when healthy and practice with the team, you're just limited from playing again?

Very curious.

ParanoidAndroid
10-26-2007, 01:27 PM
I think, although unsuredly, that a player can work with trainers on recovery but is barred from practicing. He can watch all the film he wants at home, can communicate with coaches, but the organized, team practices are off-limits during the season.

trapezeus
10-26-2007, 01:36 PM
wow. if that's true, season ending IR for a rookie to 3rd year player can be devastating.

Thanks.

Gunzlingr
10-26-2007, 01:37 PM
I thought I read the other day that he has been attending practices since day one because he has nothing better to do.

jamze132
10-26-2007, 01:40 PM
I thought I read the other day that he has been attending practices since day one because he has nothing better to do.
I would too.

ParanoidAndroid
10-26-2007, 02:15 PM
He might be able to attend but I'm pretty sure he can't participate for the rest of the year.

Tatonka
10-26-2007, 06:20 PM
can they send the commish a letter and say "hey, we changed our minds.. we want to take pos off of ir now.. thanks.. signed, the buffalo bills."

TigerJ
10-26-2007, 09:24 PM
I think, although unsuredly, that a player can work with trainers on recovery but is barred from practicing. He can watch all the film he wants at home, can communicate with coaches, but the organized, team practices are off-limits during the season.

This is my understanding as well.

To expand, when a player is on IR, the team can take the initiative to reach an injury settlement in which the player is paid part of his salary and then released. Teams would only do this with a marginal player, either because they think they could re-sign him without much competition from other teams, or to give the player a chance to sign on with another team in the event they no longer have a need for his services. The Bills would have to be completely nuts to do that with a promising rookie like Posluszny, who would be the object of a bidding war by half the league if he thusly became a free agen.

Wys Guy
10-26-2007, 09:35 PM
if you are POZ and get put on IR, does that mean you can't come to the practices or watch the film room? Are you essentially off the team? Or can you come back when healthy and practice with the team, you're just limited from playing again?

Very curious.

IR is generally just a stockyard for players to be kept on the team so that teams can still have 53 active players. They can do everything and I would even imagine that they can practice, but usually their hurt/rehabbing, etc., so "practice" would be out of the question.

im4bflo
10-26-2007, 09:54 PM
You know, Poz is doing everything he can under the rules, to keep up.
How far that is, I'd like to know, but I know Poz would be back as soon as
he could, but now he can't, and that kills him.
It kills me too, can't wait to see him again next year( I hate that saying, 'next year')

Wys Guy
10-26-2007, 10:05 PM
( I hate that saying, 'next year')

Everyone in Buffalo's used to that by now.

Hell, they may as well create a team motto and that could be it.

Typ0
10-26-2007, 11:27 PM
you can't practice with the team when they prepare during the season but you are still allowed all the resources of the organization.

ParanoidAndroid
10-26-2007, 11:34 PM
IR is generally just a stockyard for players to be kept on the team so that teams can still have 53 active players. They can do everything and I would even imagine that they can practice, but usually their hurt/rehabbing, etc., so "practice" would be out of the question.

Didn't the new CBA cover this. I think the "stockpiling" has been addressed and the new IR rules cover that. There used to be a date in November when a team could bring a player on IR back if they were ready or would be ready soon, but that has been done away with. I also believe that practicing is not allowed, but I'm not 100% on that.