PDA

View Full Version : Doug Flutie Doubts Toronto Could Support its Own NFL Franchise

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
10-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Former Buffalo Bills and Toronto Argonauts (CFL) Quarterback Doug Flutie has doubts about whether Toronto could support its own NFL team.

Flutie made his feelings known about a week after the Bills announced they intend to play a pre-season and a regular season game in Toronto each year, starting next season.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=52168

justasportsfan
10-26-2007, 04:47 PM
I agree. Most of my friends in TO don't even watch the NFL. It's all about hockey

jamze132
10-26-2007, 05:03 PM
So now Dougy is speaking for over 5,000,000 residents of the greater Toronto area?

Illmatic15
10-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Its all about major American sports like NBA and NFL these days, especially with the under 25 population which are mosty visible minorities. Flutie doesnt knwo jack **** about toronto since he hasnt been hre for a long time...

mybills
10-26-2007, 06:41 PM
This makes sense.
"I think it's fun to come up and play some exhibitions because people here love NFL football, they'd love to have a taste of it and deserve a taste," Flutie said. "To bring a franchise here, just give it some consideration before you do something like that because you're probably displacing a legacy of Argonauts football, and then also, will it (NFL club) make it?

"I think if they (Argos, NFL) played head-to-head, as much as Canadians love what is Canadian, there is an infatuation here also with the NFL. So, I think it would be tough (for Argos to co-exist with NFL club). I think if you put a dent in the franchise in Toronto, it would hurt the (CFL) overall."

Wys Guy
10-26-2007, 10:13 PM
I agree. Most of my friends in TO don't even watch the NFL. It's all about hockey

Yeah, I hear ya. Most people in Shanghai don't either. And Cleveland fans didn't watch much either while they didn't have a team no doubt.

;)

Now, and I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking that if they had their own NFL team, then there might be a few more fans interested. Call me silly and all.

Regardless, and independently, the team will be sold when Ralph passes if not perhaps sooner if his health becomes a major issue perhaps even. I just don't see any investor leaving it in Buffalo if other options are on the table. The Bills will be the next team up for sale in all likelihood too.

"Flutie said if he could speak to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, he'd tell him to proceed cautiously about moving an NFL club into southern Ontario."

LOL Yeah, I'm sure that the commissioner will drop everything that he's doing to listen to a former CFL QB on multi-billion dollar business. Perhaps he can bring the entire Argos team in one-by-one to get their opinions too.

Good to see that Doug doesn't think any less of himself still after his playing days!

Johnny Bugmenot
10-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Something tells me that this is little more than an opportunity for Flutie to get back at Ralph Wilson and p!$$ in his Cheerios.

Wys Guy
10-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Something tells me that this is little more than an opportunity for Flutie to get back at Ralph Wilson and p!$$ in his Cheerios.

Perhaps. But something definitely tells me that Dougy's looking for relevance in the post-pro-football world in his egotistical little boy bubble too.

Illmatic15
10-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Nobody likes Doug FLutie here, he should STFU

Wys Guy
10-26-2007, 10:37 PM
Nobody likes Doug FLutie here, he should STFU

I don't think that many people like him outside of Boston and I have no idea if they like him there either.

Typ0
10-26-2007, 11:23 PM
the area between buffalo and toronto is the most populace are in canada. This isn't just about toronto.

djjimkelly
10-27-2007, 03:06 AM
southern ontario has 10-12 million people fluties comments are a joke. anyway lets hope bills stay in buffalo. but toronto could support 2 teams

YardRat
10-27-2007, 06:16 AM
I think Toronto would do just fine with an NFL team, but that's only conjecture on my part.

Nighthawk
10-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I hear ya. Most people in Shanghai don't either. And Cleveland fans didn't watch much either while they didn't have a team no doubt.

;)

Now, and I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking that if they had their own NFL team, then there might be a few more fans interested. Call me silly and all.

Regardless, and independently, the team will be sold when Ralph passes if not perhaps sooner if his health becomes a major issue perhaps even. I just don't see any investor leaving it in Buffalo if other options are on the table. The Bills will be the next team up for sale in all likelihood too.

"Flutie said if he could speak to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, he'd tell him to proceed cautiously about moving an NFL club into southern Ontario."

LOL Yeah, I'm sure that the commissioner will drop everything that he's doing to listen to a former CFL QB on multi-billion dollar business. Perhaps he can bring the entire Argos team in one-by-one to get their opinions too.

Good to see that Doug doesn't think any less of himself still after his playing days!

Wow, go figure, a person who doesn't live in Buffalo believes the Bills will move. Hmm, that's a shock.

Nighthawk
10-27-2007, 10:48 AM
southern ontario has 10-12 million people fluties comments are a joke. anyway lets hope bills stay in buffalo. but toronto could support 2 teams

Toronto doesn't support the Blue Jays or Raptors. Why would you think they would support an NFL franchise after the shine had worn off? I know they are big, but bigger isn't better. Toronto isn't a sports city, it's a Hockey city...get it right.

djjimkelly
10-27-2007, 11:38 AM
Toronto doesn't support the Blue Jays or Raptors. Why would you think they would support an NFL franchise after the shine had worn off? I know they are big, but bigger isn't better. Toronto isn't a sports city, it's a Hockey city...get it right.

blue jays draw over 35000 per game for 81 games a year go look at league avg its way above no its not at 50000 per game anymore but last time i checked maybe 2 teams in league do that in 2007

AND GOOD ****ING LUCK GETTING RAPTORS TICKETS they have like 150 consecutive sell outs.

and whos kidding who u think a 10 game schedule will be hard to sell out. the games would be sold out forever. listen like ive said bills should be buffalos team if they have to move let it be toronto. but to say we couldnt support the team

or we dont support our other teams is a joke.

go look into it toronto its the 4th biggest market in north america excluding mexico city, im in sales in the area so u would think it would know.

Illmatic15
10-27-2007, 12:31 PM

Toronto doesnt support the raptors?? what a joke. look:

http://www.youtube.com/v/K_ma-03aeIE&rel=1"></PARAM>
(http://www.youtube.com/v/K_ma-03aeIE&rel=1)
and you can look up the 2007 raptors fans and how crazy they are.