• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jan 2004

Doug Flutie Doubts Toronto Could Support its Own NFL Franchise

Former Buffalo Bills and Toronto Argonauts (CFL) Quarterback Doug Flutie has doubts about whether Toronto could support its own NFL team.

Flutie made his feelings known about a week after the Bills announced they intend to play a pre-season and a regular season game in Toronto each year, starting next season.

• justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Doug Flutie Doubts Toronto Could Support its Own NFL Franchise

I agree. Most of my friends in TO don't even watch the NFL. It's all about hockey
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• jamze132
      • Jun 2003

So now Dougy is speaking for over 5,000,000 residents of the greater Toronto area?

Comment

• Illmatic15
        • Mar 2007

Its all about major American sports like NBA and NFL these days, especially with the under 25 population which are mosty visible minorities. Flutie doesnt knwo jack **** about toronto since he hasnt been hre for a long time...

Ashton Youbotys #1 fan! reppin Liberia
        GET WELL SOON KEVIN EVERETT!

Comment

• mybills
          81 st zoner
          • Jul 2002

This makes sense.
          "I think it's fun to come up and play some exhibitions because people here love NFL football, they'd love to have a taste of it and deserve a taste," Flutie said. "To bring a franchise here, just give it some consideration before you do something like that because you're probably displacing a legacy of Argonauts football, and then also, will it (NFL club) make it?

"I think if they (Argos, NFL) played head-to-head, as much as Canadians love what is Canadian, there is an infatuation here also with the NFL. So, I think it would be tough (for Argos to co-exist with NFL club). I think if you put a dent in the franchise in Toronto, it would hurt the (CFL) overall."
          I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

Originally posted by justasportsfan
            I agree. Most of my friends in TO don't even watch the NFL. It's all about hockey
            Yeah, I hear ya. Most people in Shanghai don't either. And Cleveland fans didn't watch much either while they didn't have a team no doubt.

Now, and I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking that if they had their own NFL team, then there might be a few more fans interested. Call me silly and all.

Regardless, and independently, the team will be sold when Ralph passes if not perhaps sooner if his health becomes a major issue perhaps even. I just don't see any investor leaving it in Buffalo if other options are on the table. The Bills will be the next team up for sale in all likelihood too.

"Flutie said if he could speak to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, he'd tell him to proceed cautiously about moving an NFL club into southern Ontario."

LOL Yeah, I'm sure that the commissioner will drop everything that he's doing to listen to a former CFL QB on multi-billion dollar business. Perhaps he can bring the entire Argos team in one-by-one to get their opinions too.

Good to see that Doug doesn't think any less of himself still after his playing days!

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
              Will not tolerate vandalism.
              • Apr 2006

Something tells me that this is little more than an opportunity for Flutie to get back at Ralph Wilson and p!$$ in his Cheerios.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot
                Something tells me that this is little more than an opportunity for Flutie to get back at Ralph Wilson and p!$$ in his Cheerios.
                Perhaps. But something definitely tells me that Dougy's looking for relevance in the post-pro-football world in his egotistical little boy bubble too.

Comment

• Illmatic15
                  • Mar 2007

Nobody likes Doug FLutie here, he should STFU

Ashton Youbotys #1 fan! reppin Liberia
                  GET WELL SOON KEVIN EVERETT!

Comment

Originally posted by Illmatic15
                    Nobody likes Doug FLutie here, he should STFU
                    I don't think that many people like him outside of Boston and I have no idea if they like him there either.

Comment

• Typ0
                      honey pie
                      • Jul 2002

the area between buffalo and toronto is the most populace are in canada. This isn't just about toronto.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                        • Apr 2003

southern ontario has 10-12 million people fluties comments are a joke. anyway lets hope bills stay in buffalo. but toronto could support 2 teams

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

I think Toronto would do just fine with an NFL team, but that's only conjecture on my part.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Nighthawk
                            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Wys Guy
                            Yeah, I hear ya. Most people in Shanghai don't either. And Cleveland fans didn't watch much either while they didn't have a team no doubt.

Now, and I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking that if they had their own NFL team, then there might be a few more fans interested. Call me silly and all.

Regardless, and independently, the team will be sold when Ralph passes if not perhaps sooner if his health becomes a major issue perhaps even. I just don't see any investor leaving it in Buffalo if other options are on the table. The Bills will be the next team up for sale in all likelihood too.

"Flutie said if he could speak to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, he'd tell him to proceed cautiously about moving an NFL club into southern Ontario."

LOL Yeah, I'm sure that the commissioner will drop everything that he's doing to listen to a former CFL QB on multi-billion dollar business. Perhaps he can bring the entire Argos team in one-by-one to get their opinions too.

Good to see that Doug doesn't think any less of himself still after his playing days!
                            Wow, go figure, a person who doesn't live in Buffalo believes the Bills will move. Hmm, that's a shock.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                              Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by djjimkelly
                              southern ontario has 10-12 million people fluties comments are a joke. anyway lets hope bills stay in buffalo. but toronto could support 2 teams
                              Toronto doesn't support the Blue Jays or Raptors. Why would you think they would support an NFL franchise after the shine had worn off? I know they are big, but bigger isn't better. Toronto isn't a sports city, it's a Hockey city...get it right.

Comment

Working...
                              X