PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Could Land The Vikings Instead?

Illmatic15
10-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Could-they-soon-be-called-the-Toronto-Vikings-?urn=nfl,50807#comments

At owners' meetings in Philadelphia this week, the NFL directed that an assessment of the Minnesota stadium situation be done before the end of the year, and the league plans to send representatives to Minneapolis to evaluate the viability and timeline for a new stadium. The Vikings are bound by lease to play in the Metrodome through the 2011 season.
While in Minnesota, NFL officials are expected to meet with political, business and community leaders, then report the Vikings stadium status to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.
Toronto could become a bigger threat for a possible relocation site of the Vikings than Los Angeles.

Buffalonians will be extememly happy, and people from toronto will be estatic having NFL in Toronto with Adrian Peterson!

Michael82
10-27-2007, 12:48 AM
This would actually be the worst thing to happen to the Bills and it would most likely guarantee that the next team in California will be the Los Angeles Bills... :ill:

Billscusey
10-27-2007, 03:27 AM
This would actually be the worst thing to happen to the Bills and it would most likely guarantee that the next team in California will be the Los Angeles Bills... :ill:

You got it! Essentially there is no positive solution for the Bills. All roads lead to tragedy for them.

Billscusey
10-27-2007, 03:29 AM
Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Could-they-soon-be-called-the-Toronto-Vikings-?urn=nfl,50807#comments

At owners' meetings in Philadelphia this week, the NFL directed that an assessment of the Minnesota stadium situation be done before the end of the year, and the league plans to send representatives to Minneapolis to evaluate the viability and timeline for a new stadium. The Vikings are bound by lease to play in the Metrodome through the 2011 season.
While in Minnesota, NFL officials are expected to meet with political, business and community leaders, then report the Vikings stadium status to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.
Toronto could become a bigger threat for a possible relocation site of the Vikings than Los Angeles.

Buffalonians will be extememly happy, and people from toronto will be estatic having NFL in Toronto with Adrian Peterson!

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Don't be posting stuff like that here! More rumours of a team coming here to Toronto are the last thing this message board needs! LOL!!!

SABuffalo786
10-27-2007, 03:40 AM
So who's building that new stadium in LA for the Bills then?

YardRat
10-27-2007, 06:01 AM
If Minnesota moves to Toronto, that'll kill whatever shot we have of increasing regional revenue and make the financial viability of the Bills even worse. Even if Jax jumped ship and went to LA before we did, Vegas is still an option for the new owner and Minnesota comes into play if they get serious about wooing another team.

G. Host
10-27-2007, 06:56 AM
San Antonio will get a team before LV.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-27-2007, 08:04 AM
Unless the players are going to be on skates, Toronto is not a sports city. They couldn't support the NBA and a struggling to keep up with MLB, I know the NFL is what it is, but I just can't see anything but trouble with a move to Toronto for any team.

DynaPaul
10-27-2007, 08:37 AM
Neither can LA. I don't know why the NFL has such an itch to get a team back there. No team has ever really built a football fanbase or succeeded in LA. There are other cities out there who'd benefit from an NFL team rather than adding a 4th team to the state of California.

Mr. Pink
10-27-2007, 09:34 AM
Neither can LA. I don't know why the NFL has such an itch to get a team back there. No team has ever really built a football fanbase or succeeded in LA. There are other cities out there who'd benefit from an NFL team rather than adding a 4th team to the state of California.

I have to somewhat disagree with this...to an extent.

The Los Angeles Rams were highly successful for an extended period of time. You do realize they were in LA longer than we've had the Bills, I assume. From 1946 to 1994. We're close to passing them, I know.

They won NFL titles in LA. The largest crowd ever for an NFL game was held there. 102,368 people watched the Rams defeat the 49ers back in 1957.

And then there's the whole they're the second largest TV market in America thing.

I won't even touch on the Raiders, because Al Davis has played both Oakland and LA for new stadiums during his tenure and left both when he didn't get one.

Now? who knows if a team could survive or work there for the long period. Initially the team would do well just because it's "new" again. Rams attendance sagged in the early 90s while playing in Anaheim, but is that because the Raiders came to LA? Then Davis moved the Raiders a year after the Rams left. You could say that as of right now, Al Davis killed football in Los Angeles and the NFL has been trying to put a team back there ever since.

And each time the NFL has tried, stadium talks have stalled.

doug45
10-27-2007, 09:46 AM

Mikey is correct, this would hurt the Bills to no end. Football needs to stay in the states.

bills_7
10-27-2007, 10:02 AM
70% of Bills fans are from toronto anyway the NFL would dumb not to bring the bills to Canada and Toronto there is so much more money in it for them in Toronto

plundar
10-27-2007, 10:35 AM
What bothers me is that California has 3 teams. They had 2 in LA before that and they couldn't keep them. Why is there a big push for a team there.

Nighthawk
10-27-2007, 10:41 AM

I don't know, but I think that the NFL is just using Toronto as a scare tactic to get what they want from local governments...and I'm talking about money! I just don't think you will ever see a team in Toronto and there are plenty of people who believe this too. Sorry.

Nighthawk
10-27-2007, 10:42 AM
70% of Bills fans are from toronto anyway the NFL would dumb not to bring the bills to Canada and Toronto there is so much more money in it for them in Toronto

I think your percentage is way too high, but there is a good portion of Bills fans who are from Toronto.

YardRat
10-27-2007, 11:45 AM

I don't think so.

SABuffalo786
10-27-2007, 11:58 AM

*snort*

70%? Let's not go overboard here.

Illmatic15
10-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Unless the players are going to be on skates, Toronto is not a sports city. They couldn't support the NBA and a struggling to keep up with MLB, I know the NFL is what it is, but I just can't see anything but trouble with a move to Toronto for any team.

What?? we are always near the top of NBA attendance, we were in the top during the Vince Carter years and now that the raptors are doing well we are in the top 5. Toronto loves the Raptors, and we dont come out ot see the blue jays sicne out front office is just as bad as the bills, we have no hope. When the jays were winning, Toronto had the best attendance.

Illmatic15
10-27-2007, 12:24 PM
I think the Jaguars are the ones that will move to LA, and they will fail again and move somewhere else after 5 years.

paladin warrior
10-27-2007, 12:24 PM
:smoke: cough cough what about in ANAHEIM?

PECKERWOOD
10-27-2007, 01:34 PM
We should move New England to Toronto, just to **** their **** up.

justasportsfan
10-27-2007, 02:33 PM
not gonna happen. The bills cannot afford to lose it's canadian fans which will happen if Toronto ends up getting a team.

Bill Brasky
11-01-2007, 02:57 PM
70% of Bills fans are from toronto anyway

that's the most ridiculous comment i've ever heard in my life.

Bmax
11-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Let's be real about this the NFL would rather have a team in Canada then the 2nd largest TV market in the US ... Not !!!!!!!!!!! The next team will be in LA.....

Bmax...

FlyingDutchman
11-02-2007, 03:47 PM

I agree, but ya never know. The NHL moved a team out of Minnesota and put in Dallas of all places

Easy E-Lass
11-02-2007, 11:13 PM
How could they not support the NBA? Since MLSE has taken over the ownership, Toronto has had one of the highest attendances in the entire NBA.

kernowboy
11-03-2007, 09:15 AM
I think with the Jaguars up for sale, it is likely that they would be relocated from Jackonsville which is a small market with a small hinterland to Los Angeles.

I doubt the Bills would be moved to the West Coast as the NFL would be aware of the number of fans in the Western New York/Southern Ontario area.

I do think they will end up in Toronto. Even if the Rogers Centre cannot be modified and have its capacity increased to 65,000, it has been suggested that Toronto will look at the 2015 Pan American games or the 2020 or 2024 Olympics. Either way there will be state help in building a stadium and as was proven with Atlanta 1996 and with the Manchester Commonwealth Games of 2002, it is quite easy to 'future' build a stadium. So the stadium issue will be resolved.

Sorry to say it but the Bills will be the Toronto Buffaloes by 2012.

Stewie
11-03-2007, 09:19 AM

2nd largest tv market, no nfl team, tv contracts renew in 2012.