PDA

View Full Version : While I've been gone; some thoughts

patmoran2006
10-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Haven't had a chance to post in a while, so I'd like to add a few of my thoughts to discussions that have been taking place.

THE QUARTERBACK SITUATION
I can't believe that more Bills fans in here aren't thrilled by this switch to Edwards. I said, in a specific thread in fact, that "before the season starts, I like Edwards better." This guy does so many things better than Losman ever did already it's ridiculous. You have to understand the coaching staff and their style of attack. Edwards is the better pick. He really has the intangibles Losman doesn't, and that can't be understated.

He's generally quick in his decision making. He has no problem checking down (sometimes to a fault). He gets rid of the ball quick, he's much more accurate, he has MUCH more poise and command in the huddle, he doesnt seem to get rattled much, and his arm is just fine, as evidenced by that nice long throw to Evans last week. he has "leader" written all over him.

As for Losman, I feel bad for him personally. I don't think he got a fair shake during most his time here. He was doomed by playcalling and a change in administration. Physically he's gifted and in the right situation he may catch on somewhere and be a decent QB long-term. But having said that, He never developed a lot of the intangible aspects that make a good QB a great one, and I highly doubt he ever will.

If you support Marv Levy, then NOBODY should have a problem with this. This is HIS guy on HIS team. He drafted him on day one for a reason, I didnt think it would happen this quick but given the circumstances of the franchise I LOVE the move.

Edwards has made a couple of bad mistakes, but WTF, he's a rookie with just a handful of experience.. He has the tools, experience will make him only better, which I dont think would be the case with Losman at this point.

Folks, we have a rookie QB, a rookie RB and a rookie MLB who all look like they're going to be big-time pros, that's a FANTASTIC building block for this team.

MCCARGO
I'm very impressed with his play recently, and I wonder why in the hell he's not playing a lot more. He is better than Tripplett; Fewell needs to start getting more reps for him. 2 stops for losses vs Balt, when has Tripplett ever done that.

WHITNER
I was very UNIMPRESSED with him early in the season, but he's beginning to emerge. He still makes some bad angles and IMO is weak in pass coverage (ala Roy Williams- Dallas). He got juked from his jockstrap on that Willis run. But he's clearly emerging as a leader on this team. I'm liking him more each week.

EVANS
Someone tell Eric Moulds Jr to STFU and play football. Seriously, he has tremendous skill, but he's opening his mouth far FAR too often lately. And I been watching him closely and I've talked to some others. Great speed (obviously), great hands---- but his route running is leaving something to be desired lately-- and at times it doesnt even seem like he's going all out. I can understand his frustration to a point, but he needs to keep a lid on his mouth and just go out and make plays when he gets the chance.

Unfortunately, I see him becoming a potential problem with a contract extension demand this coming offseason, just like Willis last year.

RUN BLOCKING
Absolutely HORRIFIC. I wish I could find a stat for how often Lynch gets hit within 2 yard of the line of scrimmage. This unit is TERRIBLE at run blocking right now, they barely EVER get to the second line of the defense. Dockery has been a total BUST right now, though I think he'll get better so I probably shouldn't label him that. Fowler and Butler are simply not GOOD enough to be starters on a NFL line (they cant move a DT for ****). And Langston Walker is exactly what he was in Oakland; big, fat, soft and VERY VERY average.

OUTLOOK
Still a long way to go, but I am already thinking about next year. It's going to come down to Wilson and how committed he will be to winning come this offseason. Lots of exciting young players on this roster, but they need a good FA PRESENCE to solidy spots, especially at the 1-gap DT position and the interior of the OL. WR could definitely use a boost and I'd like a better corner option that McGee (I'm very pleased with Greer)

Yasgur's Farm
10-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Good post... Fair enough.

M
10-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Nice post. Welcome back, Pat.

YardRat
10-27-2007, 11:54 AM
Can't take issue with much of it, agree with most of it, except maybe a little harsh on the o-line. Three new starters (Walker, Dockery, and Butler) will add to their ineffectiveness and they just need to grow as a unit. The only position I see as needing an upgrade there this off-season would be center.

The pass-blocking has been decent. The run by Lynch, from inside the five for a TD, was really refreshing to see. Man-up, move your guy, and create a hole deep in the red zone when it's most difficult to run. Nobody even touched Lynch, and the key block was thrown by the much-aligned TE Royal.

Just as I like the potential of the young guys at the skill positions, I like the potential this line has when they finally start to gel.

TigerJ
10-27-2007, 12:09 PM
I'mm about where Yard Rat is. Most of your points are good.

HHURRICANE
10-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Haven't had a chance to post in a while, so I'd like to add a few of my thoughts to discussions that have been taking place.

THE QUARTERBACK SITUATION
I can't believe that more Bills fans in here aren't thrilled by this switch to Edwards. I said, in a specific thread in fact, that "before the season starts, I like Edwards better." This guy does so many things better than Losman ever did already it's ridiculous. You have to understand the coaching staff and their style of attack. Edwards is the better pick. He really has the intangibles Losman doesn't, and that can't be understated.

He's generally quick in his decision making. He has no problem checking down (sometimes to a fault). He gets rid of the ball quick, he's much more accurate, he has MUCH more poise and command in the huddle, he doesnt seem to get rattled much, and his arm is just fine, as evidenced by that nice long throw to Evans last week. he has "leader" written all over him.

As for Losman, I feel bad for him personally. I don't think he got a fair shake during most his time here. He was doomed by playcalling and a change in administration. Physically he's gifted and in the right situation he may catch on somewhere and be a decent QB long-term. But having said that, He never developed a lot of the intangible aspects that make a good QB a great one, and I highly doubt he ever will.

If you support Marv Levy, then NOBODY should have a problem with this. This is HIS guy on HIS team. He drafted him on day one for a reason, I didnt think it would happen this quick but given the circumstances of the franchise I LOVE the move.

Edwards has made a couple of bad mistakes, but WTF, he's a rookie with just a handful of experience.. He has the tools, experience will make him only better, which I dont think would be the case with Losman at this point.

Folks, we have a rookie QB, a rookie RB and a rookie MLB who all look like they're going to be big-time pros, that's a FANTASTIC building block for this team.

MCCARGO
I'm very impressed with his play recently, and I wonder why in the hell he's not playing a lot more. He is better than Tripplett; Fewell needs to start getting more reps for him. 2 stops for losses vs Balt, when has Tripplett ever done that.

WHITNER
I was very UNIMPRESSED with him early in the season, but he's beginning to emerge. He still makes some bad angles and IMO is weak in pass coverage (ala Roy Williams- Dallas). He got juked from his jockstrap on that Willis run. But he's clearly emerging as a leader on this team. I'm liking him more each week.

EVANS
Someone tell Eric Moulds Jr to STFU and play football. Seriously, he has tremendous skill, but he's opening his mouth far FAR too often lately. And I been watching him closely and I've talked to some others. Great speed (obviously), great hands---- but his route running is leaving something to be desired lately-- and at times it doesnt even seem like he's going all out. I can understand his frustration to a point, but he needs to keep a lid on his mouth and just go out and make plays when he gets the chance.

Unfortunately, I see him becoming a potential problem with a contract extension demand this coming offseason, just like Willis last year.

RUN BLOCKING
Absolutely HORRIFIC. I wish I could find a stat for how often Lynch gets hit within 2 yard of the line of scrimmage. This unit is TERRIBLE at run blocking right now, they barely EVER get to the second line of the defense. Dockery has been a total BUST right now, though I think he'll get better so I probably shouldn't label him that. Fowler and Butler are simply not GOOD enough to be starters on a NFL line (they cant move a DT for ****). And Langston Walker is exactly what he was in Oakland; big, fat, soft and VERY VERY average.

OUTLOOK
Still a long way to go, but I am already thinking about next year. It's going to come down to Wilson and how committed he will be to winning come this offseason. Lots of exciting young players on this roster, but they need a good FA PRESENCE to solidy spots, especially at the 1-gap DT position and the interior of the OL. WR could definitely use a boost and I'd like a better corner option that McGee (I'm very pleased with Greer)

I think is by far the best post you have ever written. Excellent.

If I had to argue one point it might be Dockery. I think he is playing pretty well and I'm glad he's on the roster. But i do agree that the whole team looks horrible in run blocking.

In addition I'm not sure that Peters has taken it to the "next level". He's looking more average than awesome.

PECKERWOOD
10-27-2007, 12:23 PM
I think is by far the best post you have ever written. Excellent.

If I had to argue one point it might be Dockery. I think he is playing pretty well and I'm glad he's on the roster. But i do agree that the whole team looks horrible in run blocking.

In addition I'm not sure that Peters has taken it to the "next level". He's looking more average than awesome.

It's kind of weird being on the same page as Patmoran, usually we are polar opposites. I'm seriously reconsidering my approach to certain arguments here!

Good post, Pat! :bf1:

LtFinFan66
10-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Welcome back Pat

shelby
10-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Welcome back......good post, Pat.

jamze132
10-27-2007, 01:50 PM
I guess I am the grumpy old man....

Yes it was a nice post, but it was nothing that we haven't heard from everyone in the media as well as everyone on here.

Carry on...

Carlton Bailey
10-27-2007, 02:57 PM
That's as good a post as I've read here. I agreed with every word, Pat.

Typ0
10-27-2007, 03:03 PM
I think you are wrong about Evans and hope he proves it. The guy is entitled to have an opinion on things and I respect him for being honest. The real test of this is going to be if he adjusts and plays hard not that he made some comments about how he felt. After living through the Tom Donahoe era I would think Bills fans would embrace players and coaches who were willing to speak their minds even if it's not going to be what people want to hear.

SquishDaFish
10-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Good posting PAT. But people arent saying they are not happy with Edwards winning the position. Its the raw deal JP got. Like alot of us have been saying stick with one guy if its Edwards fine. No juggling QBs. I dont care whos playing I support whomever.

Kerr
10-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Here's hoping the bills make the impact signing in free agency of bernard berrian, barring he doesn't sign an extension during the season with the bears. Of course, Wilson will have to pony up because he'll want to be paid accordingly. He and Evans together are the duo fairchild needs like he had in st louis with holt and bruce.

patmoran2006
10-28-2007, 11:35 AM
This is going to be a very interesting offseason to me because Wilson has nothing to hide his hat on.

We'll know one way or the other if the man is truly committed to winning or not. They have the 3rd most cap room in the NFL, zero key free agents to resign this offseason and obviously are not going to pay that huge Losman extension.

I cant wait to see what we do. If Wilson goes out and buys a couple solid players at key spots, then I think we are a legit contender in the AFC next year.

G. Host
10-28-2007, 12:04 PM
Where are you getting your numbers from? Even Clump can not get reliable numbers. Are you trusting the media?